• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tolls up to $1

Started by CNHT, October 07, 2007, 05:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on October 07, 2007, 08:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: Spencer on October 07, 2007, 08:40 PM NHFT
Wouldn't it be cheaper to cut the State Police patrols and not hire 200 new employees and just keep the toll where it is?

Better yet, obey the NH Constitution, which requires that all tolls and highway taxes be used for the highways, instead of siphoning off over 60% to non-highway programs.

:clap:

mvpel

Quote from: Mark on October 09, 2007, 05:29 AM NHFTFWIW, the only councilor who voted against this increase was a Democrat.

She successfully blocked the installation of tollbooths in Nashua at a cost of millions of dollars to the highway fund, so she'd look like a tool if she supported any increase.

Mark

Quote from: mvpel on October 09, 2007, 08:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: Mark on October 09, 2007, 05:29 AM NHFTFWIW, the only councilor who voted against this increase was a Democrat.

She successfully blocked the installation of tollbooths in Nashua at a cost of millions of dollars to the highway fund, so she'd look like a tool if she supported any increase.

Is "costing" the government millions of dollars by NOT collecting tolls a good thing or a bad thing?

mvpel

If residents of the Town of Merrimack bear a cost of 40 cents per mile of expressway as opposed to 2 cents per mile for everyone else who uses the expressway, I figure that's a bad thing.  As long as the state is in the road business, the roads need to be paid for somehow.

Spencer

Quote from: mvpel on October 10, 2007, 10:09 PM NHFT
If residents of the Town of Merrimack bear a cost of 40 cents per mile of expressway as opposed to 2 cents per mile for everyone else who uses the expressway, I figure that's a bad thing.  As long as the state is in the road business, the roads need to be paid for somehow.

It is definitely better than a sales or income tax.

Mark

So this increase is a good thing, then?

mvpel

We in Merrimack were hoping for a toll discount as a means to equity, but it looks like our "discount" is going to be a "Democrat discount" - lack of an increase.

J’raxis 270145

They just need to switch to a system where they bill per-mile for everyone, consistently. Some places do this by handing out tickets at the on-ramps and having you pay at the exit, sort of like how most parking garages that charge per hour work.

dalebert

As long as the state is in the road business, the roads need to be paid for somehow.

True, but this has been discussed before and apparently the money goes into the general fund or something. It's just a general tax.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 11, 2007, 10:29 AM NHFT
As long as the state is in the road business, the roads need to be paid for somehow.
They just need to switch to a system where they bill per-mile for everyone, consistently. Some places do this by handing out tickets at the on-ramps and having you pay at the exit, sort of like how most parking garages that charge per hour work.

You mean like a tax on gasoline?  ;)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Ron Helwig on October 12, 2007, 07:48 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 11, 2007, 10:29 AM NHFT

You mean like a tax on gasoline?  ;)

Yeah, let's start that debate up again...

burnthebeautiful

$1? Boo hoo, the toll bridge I have to cross to get to and from work costs approx $80 each way :P The company pays for it, but still...

error

$80? What does it cross, the Baltic Sea?!?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: error on October 15, 2007, 10:20 AM NHFT

Truck driver? It's probably a $2–3 toll, but multiplied by vehicle weight or axle count or something.

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 15, 2007, 12:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on October 15, 2007, 10:20 AM NHFT

Truck driver? It's probably a $2–3 toll, but multiplied by vehicle weight or axle count or something.

I took my coworkers word for it when she said $80 earlier today, I just double checked the price and it seems as though my coworker was mistaken. The actual price to drive across the bridge is $45 per car, each way. That's the fee a regular car pays, not a truck fee or anything. My boss drives me to work and is the one who handles the payment etc, which is why I didn't know myself. The bridge crosses the "Öresund straight", the bit of sea between Sweden and Denmark. Taking a train over the bridge costs $14 each way. It's a long bridge that also has a railway and a tunnel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresund_Bridge

I'm glad the bridge is there, because it makes it much easier to get to and from Copenhagen when you previously had to take a ferry, but jesus is it expensive.