• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Where in NH is good to be if you commute to Boston?

Started by anarchicluv, October 09, 2007, 02:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

Quote from: anarchicluv on October 10, 2007, 12:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jon Maltz on October 10, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT
Where in Boston is always a good question.  A friend of mine took a bus to Boston from Newburyport that brought him to South Station if I recall, which was not far from work.  If he took the commuter rail in, that dumps you at North Station, and it could take upwards of half an hour to get from North Station to South Station.

It's on 101 Federal Street, just West of I-93.

I commuted from Merrimack to a few blocks from there for two years.  With the caveat of having no good (inexpensive) place to park in Boston, no matter what combination of driving/train/subway/walking I tried, my commute was pretty consistently two hours each way, and believe me, I tried all combinations*.  If you have a place to park, then that will greatly improve your commute (assuming you have a fairly fuel-efficient vehicle).

*I finally settled on driving to Woburn, parking at the Anderson Commuter Rail station (which costs 2 bucks/day I think), taking the Commuter Rail from there to North Station, and depending on the weather, either walking or taking the T to my job at Tufts/NEMC from there.  I have to admit, on the warmer days, walking was very pleasant, not to mention good exercise.  I'd consider headphones mandatory (especially with Howard Stern in the ears).

Recumbent ReCycler

There is the Downeaster train line, which has stops in Dover, Durham and Exeter, NH, and ends at the North Station in Boston.

maxxoccupancy

While attending UNH-Durham, I recall the train stopping in regularly, though it only dropped off and picked up a few commuters at a time.

I have been told that I-95 is much better than 93.  In fact, one Manchester roommate told me that a place in Seabrook (which I'd previously never heard of) would shave about a half hour off of his commute in each direction.

I have since investigated Seabrook, which is kind of a tax haven, by Seacoast standards.  Most of what they pay is just property taxes, and that is only $13.09 per thousand.  I was looking at homes in the low-mid 200's with property taxes of aboot $200 a month, rivaling Grafton, if you can believe it.  With the current housing slump, it is now possible to buy a house in Seabrook, so I've been looking at a few there.  Seabrook has a very low crime rate, even by Seacoast standards, and lax zoning laws, even by NH standards.

Riddler

probably waltham.......
MASS....
bahahhhahahahahaaaaaahhaaaa