• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Free Press interest meeting

Started by Braddogg, October 10, 2007, 05:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Braddogg

WHO: Anyone interested in being involved with the Manchester Free Press
WHAT: Meeting for people interested in writing, advertising, marketing, and distributing the MFP
WHEN: Saturday, October 13, 11 AM.  Should last about an hour, leaving plenty of time to party at Kevin's and Firecracker Joe's places!
WHERE:  Murphy's Taproom (494 Elm St, Manchester)
WHY:  To let you know how things are going with planning for the paper, and to see who is interested in contributing.

If you've been curious about what we at the Manchester Free Press braintrust have got up our sleeve, this is the meeting for you!  The paper has been in the planning stages for barely two months, and we're already getting real close to putting out content.  There are many ways in which you can join and do something to help.  If you own a business in Manchester, consider advertising with us.  If you've got skill with a camera, let us know, we'll always need a few photos.  If you want to help, but don't know how, come to the meeting and we'll let you know what you can do :)

If writing is your thing, we've got lots of opportunities for you to get involved.  I'll be going over this in more detail at the meeting, but we're looking for people to write online content and print content.  We're looking for writers for news, opinion, arts & culture, sports -- you name it.  We're also looking to host blogs on our website, and promote the hell out of them.  We have paid freelancing opportunities as well, depending on the nature of the pieces you write and your previous experience or innate talent.

If you don't have any experience writing -- no worries!  I spent four years as an amateur writing for a college paper, and I spent three years as an editor helping amateurs improve their skills.  While I was on the editorial board, the paper was named "Newspaper of the Year" by ourselves the Collegiate Network, an organization that provides funding to over 100 student newspapers across the United States.  I am ready, willing, and desperately wanting to help you!

I should add that this is not a meeting open only to libertarians.  If you have a neighbor passionate about what's going on in Manchester, invite her with you to this meeting.  This newspaper is only going to be successful if we get the community of Manchester involved.  The more, the merrier!

alohamonkey

I should be able to be there Saturday.  I haven't met any of you yet but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm available to help in advertising/marketing.  I'd also be more than happy to write some articles. I'm not great but I love writing and I'm up for some coaching . . . David?  I'm really glad you guys are doing this and I'm hoping to help in any way possible.  See you Saturday. 

Braddogg

Awesome!  We're structuring the production schedule to give me a plenty of time to work with the writers, so coaching is not going to be a problem at all :)

It'll be nice meeting you!

FTL_Ian

Braddogg

We're not sure.  We have limited control over that decision right now.  We're going to be putting out content on the web as soon as we get our website up and running, which I'm told will be in the next week or two.  I don't want to say a time frame for our first print issue, because that's really not 100% in our control.  When we do have a firm time frame, we'll definitely announce it here.  We want to make sure all our "i"s are crossed and "t"s dotted, because we want to be able to hit the ground running, rather than it being a stop-and-go thing.  Plus, it's been just over 2 months since Natalie first floated the idea; we're moving pretty fast, and I'm pleased at how things are moving so far. :)

dalebert

I just heard on the radio this morning that one of the Manchester papers had to reduce their circulation to once a week due to recent economic slowing. I don't know if it was daily before. It's "Manchester something" and it's supposedly related to the Hippo Press.

Russell Kanning

there was some new free paper there that was daily ... it seemed crazy to me ... but all of those free papers in Manchester help get ours out there too. :)

they also have a free local sports weekly

Russell Kanning

FTL_Ian

Nothing new here:
http://www.manchfreepress.com/

Braddogg hasn't logged into this forum since last year.   :-\

ny2nh

The Manchester Express is going from a free daily local community orientated paper to a free weekly community orientated paper. I'm a bit disappointed but I often wondered how they managed to print and distribute daily and still make $$. It will be interesting to see how large it will be now that it is weekly and if they still allow as many editorials.....

Russell Kanning

In case any of you guys in Manchester still have the reporter/columnist bug .... you can report on stuff in Manchester and we can put it in the New Hampshire Free Press until your paper gets going. Manchester is catching up to Keene as the main distribution point. I think it is partly because they are already used to picking up free papers at the grocery stores. :)

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Braddogg on October 10, 2007, 05:16 PM NHFT
If you've been curious about what we at the Manchester Free Press braintrust have got up our sleeve,...

braintrust...   :biglaugh:

Pat K

The Brain is trussed up.
Long live the Brain.