• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

My experience at the doctors office yesterday

Started by Raineyrocks, October 12, 2007, 07:40 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Okay onto the doctor visit:

So the doctor comes in the room and I've seen this particular doctor a lot due to my 17 year old's migraines.  I've had 5 kids so I've been through a lot of physicals but this one was more bothersome than the others and I like this doctor but I believe they probably have a list of questions they are required to ask at physicals now.  I don't know but I'm going to find out.  Just to quickly put in here when my other son was 11 the doctor asked me to leave the room and I asked why, he said so he could talk to my son about sex.  I refused and told him that was up to my husband and I, not him.  That doctor told me they make him, I guess the insurance providers, have this talk with each child at a certain age but anyways I refused and he didn't push it.

The doctor asked my 11 year old if she played video games, what kind of games, how often she played them, how much television she watched and how often, if there was any violence in the house, what foods were in the house, and if she got any exercise.  Oh yeah and of course if anyone smoked in the house. 

This might not be such a big deal to some people, I don't know,  but I was just stunned and felt like an observer to an inquest.  I honestly was numb and didn't say anything but that's okay because now that I know these questions are probably routine, my 9 year old has a physical this week that I was going to cancel after seeing how this one turned out but I'm not going to now.  I'm going to turn the tides quite a bit.  She was entering every answer my daughter gave her in the computer and then gave my daughter the well rounded life talk which I did interrupt.  First of all I could maybe see a concern about food and exercise if my daughter was overweight or underweight even though I think the questions should be directed towards the parent not the little kid.

Here's some of my concerns with this line of questioning; what if children give the "wrong" answer, does this get reported to social services or something?  Since when did a medical provider become some sort of parental replacement or judge?  She also got into that stupid percentile thing, where my daughter was in weight and height according to the percentile chart.  I've always thought this chart is crap and it's like a "are you normal or abnormal" thing when everyone grows differently.  Are doctors becoming the new gestapo I wonder?  There were more thoughts I had on this but I've lost them for the moment. 

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2007, 06:40 PM NHFT
Here's some of my concerns with this line of questioning; what if children give the "wrong" answer, does this get reported to social services or something?  Since when did a medical provider become some sort of parental replacement or judge?

Yes, it does. I remember we talked about this in another thread. See RSA 169-C:29, et. seq.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Spencer on October 14, 2007, 06:10 PM NHFT
Some of us are eagerly awaiting the second part of your story . . .

Stop holding out on us.

That's funny Spencer because I guess I was typing the "doctor visit" when you typed this.  I hope I didn't build up the doctor visit part 2, too much! :-\  If I did, I'm sorry!

It seemed like a real big deal to me because I never ever had a doctor ask any of the kids so many questions relating to their home environment and activities before but now when I reread my doctor visit post I was kind of left with the , "that's it", "this is all" feeling. :-\

I think the nurse visit one was more controversial, what do you think?  Oh yeah and the doctor did say to me, "so I've heard you don't want the vaccines for your daughter  but really you should think twice."

Lloyd Danforth

Neither myself nor my sisters ever had physicals until we were adults.  We were hospitalized from time to time due to things like a Sister's ruptured apendix and my being accident prone, but, no regular physicals.

CNHT

All part of the nanny state.

My friend recently had trouble getting his 4-year old to bed. The kid ran outside and hid, did not answer when called, thinking it was a neat game.
After an hour or two there was concern he actually might have been kidnapped, so he called the police...

When the kid heard that the police were called he jumped out...typical mischievious behavior from a kid that age.

I can't tell you what a barrage of questioning ensued, even precipitating investigations by DSS, the parent was horrified at the intrusion on his privacy.

All because a kid was resisting going to bed. The police turned out not to be so helpful in case it was really a situation of kidnap but something to be feared.

>:(

Raineyrocks

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 14, 2007, 06:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2007, 06:40 PM NHFT
Here's some of my concerns with this line of questioning; what if children give the "wrong" answer, does this get reported to social services or something?  Since when did a medical provider become some sort of parental replacement or judge?

Yes, it does. I remember we talked about this in another thread. See RSA 169-C:29, et. seq.

Yes I do remember that! :duh:   I have a bad habit of not linking things together like the age of sexual consent vs. child's physical but your right that law sums up both. Plus we were talking more about therapists in that thread not doctors but that law states any professional.  Amazing how short and to the point that particular law link you posted is, isn't it? :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: CNHT on October 14, 2007, 06:54 PM NHFT
All part of the nanny state.

My friend recently had trouble getting his 4-year old to bed. The kid ran outside and hid, did not answer when called, thinking it was a neat game.
After an hour or two there was concern he actually might have been kidnapped, so he called the police...

When the kid heard that the police were called he jumped out...typical mischievious behavior from a kid that age.

I can't tell you what a barrage of questioning ensued, even precipitating investigations by DSS, the parent was horrified at the intrusion on his privacy.

All because a kid was resisting going to bed. The police turned out not to be so helpful in case it was really a situation of kidnap but something to be feared.

>:(

It seems like this kind of thing is just becoming one big nightmare and to think it may only get worse! ::)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on October 14, 2007, 06:53 PM NHFT
Neither myself nor my sisters ever had physicals until we were adults.  We were hospitalized from time to time due to things like a Sister's ruptured apendix and my being accident prone, but, no regular physicals.

I remember having one here and there but definitely not every year like they suggest now!

My grandson is very accident prone and my daughter is so afraid when she has to take him for a stitch here and there.  The one thing I keep telling her though is to get him away from this doctor she's had him see since birth.  The last visit he had some bruises as usual and this doctor was documenting every place they were and my daughter's explanation of each of them!  Sounds like this doctor is looking for ammunition to start a case against her sooner or later, doesn't it?
I haven't liked this doctor from the very beginning and I don't know why she keeps taking him there.  My kid's doctor in Maryland told me he would be worried if the kids didn't have bruises here and there because it's normal.  Kids play, they fall and bump into stuff!

Spencer

I don't know what video games and guns have to do with children's health, unless you are an advocate of censorship or gun control.  I know that the AMA advocates both.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2007, 07:07 PM NHFT
My grandson is very accident prone

Fell out of the family car (40mph) at 2&1/2 and cracked my head in a few places.
Fell off a slide and broke my arm at 4 years old.
Hit by a car at 5. 11 fractures of the pelvis, dislocated sacroiliac, and lots of abrasions.
Sprained ankles?  Too many to count!
Stepped on a lot of nails and once on a piece of glass.  For a while I had more anti-tetanus stuff in me than blood.
The folks at the emergency room said, "Hi Lloyd"  when I came in.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on October 14, 2007, 08:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 14, 2007, 07:07 PM NHFT
My grandson is very accident prone

Fell out of the family car (40mph) at 2&1/2 and cracked my head in a few places.
Fell off a slide and broke my arm at 4 years old.
Hit by a car at 5. 11 fractures of the pelvis, dislocated sacroiliac, and lots of abrasions.
Sprained ankles?  Too many to count!
Stepped on a lot of nails and once on a piece of glass.  For a while I had more anti-tetanus stuff in me than blood.
The folks at the emergency room said, "Hi Lloyd"  when I came in.

Wow, Lloyd I am going to be very careful around you when I meet you! ;D  Could you imagine what would've happened to you in these times?   >:(

Lloyd Danforth

Have no fear.  When I made it to 21, which no one who knew me expected, we decided the curse was lifted.

kola

Rainey, I am glad to see you standing up for your beliefs. I have no need for medical doctors unless it is for crisis intervention. For others who choose to use them on a regular basis I respect their right to choose.

They could come a time when we will be forced against our will to undergo medical procedures. (ie in the event of martial law thus forcing a mass vaccination program.)

Kola

Lloyd Danforth

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Scott Roth on October 15, 2007, 07:41 PM NHFT
Explains a few things... ::)

That's funny Scott, (my first laugh of a pretty crappy day!), but poor Lloyd, he's so sweet! :)