• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Taproom Tuesday

Started by error, October 12, 2007, 02:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

highline

I stand corrected on the 21st amendment!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on May 22, 2008, 01:22 PM NHFT
If it's not realistic to either eliminate the regulation completely, or get the "right" people onto the commission, then at least they need to be stripped of their power to revoke liquor licenses without cause. That arbitrary power is what was behind the earlier dust-up at Murphy's and seems to be what keeps everyone going out of their way to please the liquor commission.

This is the power that was used to shut down Omega - the nightclub occupying that space before.

highline

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 22, 2008, 03:19 PM NHFT
If it's not realistic to either eliminate the regulation completely, or get the "right" people onto the commission, then at least they need to be stripped of their power to revoke liquor licenses without cause. That arbitrary power is what was behind the earlier dust-up at Murphy's and seems to be what keeps everyone going out of their way to please the liquor commission.

This is the power that was used to shut down Omega - the nightclub occupying that space before.

I cant say I disagree with their reasoned decision to revoke their license. That place had numerous violent incidents and was dangerous.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: highline on May 22, 2008, 03:28 PM NHFT

I cant say I disagree with their reasoned decision to revoke their license. That place had numerous violent incidents and was dangerous.

I didn't get my full thought in there.

The power was used to shut down an undesirable, violent club.

Then it is also used to harass a restaurant that is doing undesirable things but not being violent.

ny2nh

I'm not sure the revoke licenses without cause - serving a minor is cause.

I beleive the "earlier dust-up" at Murphy's started because of a video promoting something that the proprietor asked be removed because is was attracting the wrong kind of attention to his newly opened business. Just as the same video had the potential to harm some peoples' livelihoods because we were included in a gun video when we weren't being interviewed about guns.

ny2nh

Omega deserved to be shut down. They served minors on many occasions, there were endless incidences of violence in and around the place, they weren't paying the landlord their rent, etc. IMO, closing Omega was a huge improvement for Manchester.

MengerFan

Whoa, dude.

I deserve to have violence used against me because I engage in a voluntary non-violent transaction of a beverage with an individual, based on the number of years that individual has walked the earth?

I deserve to have violence used against me because individuals other than myself happen to have used violence against one another near my property?

I would like to see the underlying logic behind those conclusions.

Kat Kanning

She's some republican tagging on to our movement.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: highline on May 22, 2008, 03:28 PM NHFT

The power to shut down a bar for such reasons isn't something I'm proposing we remove from the liquor commission here. Bars promoting/allowing violence is a bit different from bars accidentally serving a few minors because the server mistook them for an adult.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: ny2nh on May 22, 2008, 05:03 PM NHFT

I beleive the "earlier dust-up" at Murphy's started because of a video promoting something that the proprietor asked be removed because is was attracting the wrong kind of attention to his newly opened business. Just as the same video had the potential to harm some peoples' livelihoods because we were included in a gun video when we weren't being interviewed about guns.

Yes, and I remember that the worry was that the "wrong kind of attention" would include the liquor commissioner who could revoke the Taproom's license.

highline

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on May 23, 2008, 06:01 AM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on May 22, 2008, 05:03 PM NHFT

Yes, and I remember that the worry was that the "wrong kind of attention" would include the liquor commissioner who could revoke the Taproom's license.

Interestingly, if you sell a single can of beer without the commissions tacit approval.............  you could do 7 years in state prison!

Ouch.

178:1 Licenses Required; Enforceability of Contracts. –

I. No person shall manufacture for sale, or sell in any method or manner, directly or indirectly, or distribute by selling, transferring, giving, or delivering to another, or leaving, bartering, or exchanging with another, or offering or agreeing to do the same, in any method or manner, directly or indirectly, or keep for sale any liquor or beverage without first registering to do business with the secretary of state and obtaining a license for such activity under the provisions of this title. Any violation of this section shall be a class B felony for each violation.

And lets not forget, if you sell someone a beer without a liquor license and serve it draft in an empty milk bottle............  you are looking at 8 years in state prison.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: highline on May 23, 2008, 07:01 AM NHFT
Any violation of this section shall be a class B felony for each violation.

And this means you can't legally sit around cleaning your guns!

doobie

Is tonight the Van Halen concert?  Anyone planning on heading to Taproom Tuesday tonight?  How far away will we have to park?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: doobie on May 27, 2008, 04:27 PM NHFT
Is tonight the Van Halen concert?  Anyone planning on heading to Taproom Tuesday tonight?  How far away will we have to park?

Oh darn!  I didn't know Van Halen was having a concert!  I've been talking about Van Halen with Rick and I've said if they ever come here I'm going, damn.

Let me know how it was please!  Have fun of course too!

Friday

Quote from: doobie on May 27, 2008, 04:27 PM NHFT
No, it's tomorrow.