• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Taproom Tuesday

Started by error, October 12, 2007, 02:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Quote from: error on December 24, 2008, 06:23 AM NHFT
Not even snow and ice storms will stop us!

But it wasn't snowing, and there was no ice. :P

Porcupine Realtor

2 new movers with Joe and Roy, plus Will and Brooke.  We're growing and gaining on the statists . . .

Some rude patrons were tapping on our shoulders, asking us to move out of the way so they could watch some stupid game (football, I think -- maybe basketball or maybe hockey . . . hmm, Tuesday, must not be football . . . oh, yeah, the Celtics -- a team from Taxachusetts)....   This is why we should either exclude the unenlightened from our side of the building, or just roll up the big screen and turn off the TV. 

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Taxinator on December 24, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT
Some rude patrons were tapping on our shoulders, asking us to move out of the way so they could watch some stupid game (football, I think -- maybe basketball or maybe hockey . . . hmm, Tuesday, must not be football . . . oh, yeah, the Celtics -- a team from Taxachusetts)....   This is why we should either exclude the unenlightened from our side of the building, or just roll up the big screen and turn off the TV. 

I wish there was a Mises channel we could put on the big screen. Graphs and charts and pictures of old Ludwig would keep the riffraff out of "our" territory  ;)

[Of course the bar has to try to accommodate ALL its patrons. We should just do a better job of filling that area with paying customers so "our" seats don't get taken by "outsiders".]

Jennifer

Quote from: Taxinator on December 24, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT
2 new movers with Joe and Roy, plus Will and Brooke.  We're growing and gaining on the statists . . .

Adam (Nautical Journal) was also there.

Quoteor just roll up the big screen and turn off the TV. 

Yes, please.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Jennifer on December 25, 2008, 10:02 AM NHFT

Oh, that makes sense now.  Thanks for putting that together for me. 

It was nice meeting all 3 new guys.

Redchrome

Quote from: Ron Helwig on December 25, 2008, 08:00 AM NHFT
I wish there was a Mises channel we could put on the big screen. Graphs and charts and pictures of old Ludwig would keep the riffraff out of "our" territory  ;)

There's video out there:

http://mises.org/media.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/user/misesmedia
http://www.ideachannel.tv/

ideachannel.tv has Milton Friedman's 'Free to Choose' series for free. I don't know if the Taproom already has a way to show videos from a computer on the big screen; but it might be a worthwhile thing to do.

Those people who end up sitting on the 'social' side of the room might get an inadvertent dose of liberty economics, an idea I like very much. :)

The problem is that a lot of those programs are very audio-oriented; and the room is loud enough as it is. Even I don't want to have economic lectures booming at me and drowning out all other conversation.

I don't know what the proprietors of the establishment think of the idea. It might turn off some other customers; but they have the TVs on the other side of the room to provide their sports.

Can anyone suggest a very visually-oriented program that shows rather than tells its economic points? Perhaps something with closed-captioning would be sufficient.

I've not yet seen an episode of Free Minds TV; but perhaps they could contribute something.

Perhaps we could try this one or two nights; and see what people think.

Dan

I'm considering making Taproom Tuesday business cards.  I hand out LibertyForum cards to everyone that approaches me about my RonPaul stickers, or the open carry.  Then I explain to them about Taproom. 

If you were a life long lonely liberty oriented resident that's becoming more and more scared of your "liberalizing" neighbors: wouldn't you want to know about TT?

I think promoting TT to a wider audience helps the FSP, the NHLA, and the liberty movement in NH. 

. o O ( so just do it, Dan... )

Fluff and Stuff

Or make a card with the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday events.  Or cards for each event.  Or cards with a link to the NHLiberty Calendar.  Or cards which mention TT and have a link to the NHLiberty Calendar.

Porcupine Realtor

Quote from: Ron Helwig on December 25, 2008, 08:00 AM NHFT
Can anyone suggest a very visually-oriented program that shows rather than tells its economic points? Perhaps something with closed-captioning would be sufficient.
ISIL's Philosophy of Liberty stick figure presentation is a classic:  http://isil.org/resources/philosophy-of-liberty-english.swf

Nautical Journal

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on December 25, 2008, 11:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jennifer on December 25, 2008, 10:02 AM NHFT

Oh, that makes sense now.  Thanks for putting that together for me. 

It was nice meeting all 3 new guys.

Yes I was there. I will be there again tonight. Trying to get my father to tag along.

Fluff and Stuff

Another great Taproom last night.  In the almost 6 hours I was there I had fantastic service, talked to people from all over the state (including new people and pretty girls), and even talked to a left libertarian for 30 min.

The service was fantastic as I got that guy who is new to the Taproom Tuesday crowd again - the one who gives overly good service.  Unfortunately, all of my mussels were not completely cooked and when I brought it up to the waiter he went to see what he could do about it.  He suggested 25% off and that seemed fair.  He came back later and said I'll get 50% off.   He only made 1 mistake all night at my table (which cost me around 60 cents) but I was happy with the service (and since I took a seat for around 6 hours) I tipped over 40%.

Rearden

Heads up for tonight: the back room was reserved for a group function from 6:30-7:30 pm, and a company has reserved 40 seats in the front room from 6-7:30 pm.  That means that except for the booth seats, the entire dining room will be unavailable early on.  If you arrive before 7:30 tonight, please utilize either the booths or the bar side tables.  This is an unusual occurrence, one that is good for the business but may have some short-term impact on seating availability for regular guests.  Thanks. 

dalebert

I have errands to run in Manch tonight so if anyone wants to carpool from Keene to Taproom, let me know. Tim is one passenger meaning there are two uncomfortable seats left in the back of the Skittlemobile. Gas contributions are appreciated but not required.

Oh, and we will not be staying very late. Tim and some other Keeniacs start feeling stressed out when it gets crowded and noisy and besides that, I need to pick up some rats at a reasonable hour before heading back. If you have a rat phobia, do not ride along or there will be... issues. It'll be chaos like that movie Snakes on a Plane!

Porcupine Realtor

Tuesday March 17 will be a busy night for sure at Murphy's for St. Patrick's Day.  The regular TT group may get split up and spread out if Irish revelers get there early and fill up the tables. 

Is there any alternative li-beer-tarian gathering going on?  I'm thinking about hosting one at my place.  It's late notice.  I may throw something up on FaceBook tomorrow.

Mike Barskey

I'd love to hang out at your place! :)