• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Taproom Tuesday

Started by error, October 12, 2007, 02:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

You could throw up an event anytime.  It takes 5 mins or so to create an event and invite everyone.  Some people check facebook once a day or less so they may not get the notice.  I'll likely get it, though :)

djbridgeland

Just curious if others have been denied alcohol for concealed carrying at Murphy's ?  I was denied tonight and last week.  Last week the waitress saw the bottom of my holster and asked if I was carrying, which was covered by my shirt.  This week I carried concealed with my CCW holster and was ask if I was carrying.  I answered in the affirmative that I was concealed carrying, and was denied alcohol again.  My understanding was that if you where open carrying then you would not be served, but concealed carrying was alright as long as you are licensed to carry, of course?   

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: djbridgeland on June 24, 2009, 12:25 AM NHFT
Just curious if others have been denied alcohol for concealed carrying at Murphy's ?  I was denied tonight and last week.  Last week the waitress saw the bottom of my holster and asked if I was carrying, which was covered by my shirt.  This week I carried concealed with my CCW holster and was ask if I was carrying.  I answered in the affirmative that I was concealed carrying, and was denied alcohol again.  My understanding was that if you where open carrying then you would not be served, but concealed carrying was alright as long as you are licensed to carry, of course?   

That was my understanding as well.

AntonLee

of course that's the business owner's choice.  I also believe it's common sense not to get retardedly drunk while carrying.

but I think someone carrying a gun can have a few drinks.  If I drank or carried I probably wouldn't bring my business there.

liftsboxes

Quote from: djbridgeland on June 24, 2009, 12:25 AM NHFT

I don't want to get too granular here, but if they can tell that you're carrying then you aren't really carrying concealed.  What kind of rig are you using?

ny2nh

I can't find where Keith posted the policy......I'll look some more. My understanding was that alcohol would not be served to anyone carrying - open or concealed. Of course, if you are truly concealing your gun, the server would never know. I know there has been at least once incident involving someone carrying who was intoxicated and had their gun out, dropped the magazine in the street, etc. That incident may have triggered a stricter enforcement of not serving anyone who is carrying.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: ny2nh on June 24, 2009, 06:36 AM NHFT
I can't find where Keith posted the policy......I'll look some more. My understanding was that alcohol would not be served to anyone carrying - open or concealed.

I specifically remember it being OC only, because the whole controversy stemmed from other patrons seeing people OCing and drinking and getting nervous about it. The policy has never been posted anywhere because Keith was trying to keep the whole situation quiet.

As for CC, it was more along the lines of, "don't ask, don't tell." The wait staff should not be asking customers if they're carrying. (Of course, if you're CCing, actually conceal it, don't just cover it up with your shirt like Dan did the first time...)

AntonLee

Makes you wonder how people used to drink when everyone carried a gun.   

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: AntonLee on June 24, 2009, 01:14 PM NHFT

Gun check at the door.

liftsboxes

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on June 24, 2009, 01:19 PM NHFT

Gun check at the door.

Yep.

Also important is a recognition among the gun carriers that personal responsibility is key in the right to self defense as opposed to an act of aggression.  No one needs to feel threatened by your sidearm if you are handling it and yourself in a responsible manner.  If you stop behaving in a way that keeps those around you safe, it is the responsibility of those people to take appropriate action. 

Simply applying social pressure to check your gun before drinking (or checking your keys for the same reason) keeps government out of the equation.  Responsibility preserves liberty and negates the call of the citizens for government controls and police protection (however misguided such a call might be).

Pat K

Quote from: liftsboxes on June 24, 2009, 01:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on June 24, 2009, 01:19 PM NHFT

Gun check at the door.

Yep.

Also important is a recognition among the gun carriers that personal responsibility is key in the right to self defense as opposed to an act of aggression.  No one needs to feel threatened by your sidearm if you are handling it and yourself in a responsible manner.  If you stop behaving in a way that keeps those around you safe, it is the responsibility of those people to take appropriate action. 

Simply applying social pressure to check your gun before drinking (or checking your keys for the same reason) keeps government out of the equation.  Responsibility preserves liberty and negates the call of the citizens for government controls and police protection (however misguided such a call might be).

:clap:

bigmike

I'm headed there tonight.

Porcupine Realtor

Come out tonight (Aug. 31) and welcome visitors Sharon and Bill.  They plan to move to NH next year.

error

Oh yes, we're still at it, even though I've forgotten to update the calendar here in... forever. Sorry! I've pretty much moved to a Facebook page.

Rearden

To answer the above question, which I've just seen, the policy is this:

If you are carrying a firearm, and observed to be doing so by the staff, you will not be served alcohol.  The rationale is that before this rule was instituted, there were several complaints from the public-at-large about being uncomfortable around people drinking while obviously carrying.  Those complaints were not immediately acted upon, and then a heavily intoxicated woman pulled out a firearm and dropped her clip on Elm Street.

Initially, there was just the perception of unsafe behavior.  Then, there was actually unsafe behavior, and something had to be done to prevent that sort of thing from ever happening again. 

If you are carrying concealed, no one will know (neither staff nor customers).  However, you are not concealing your firearm if you pull up your shirt and display it to servers or customers.