• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Taproom Tuesday

Started by error, October 12, 2007, 02:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

:)
we have such a mix of really responsible people and really goofy ones that circle in our groups

K. Darien Freeheart

I was harassed by police one evening outside of Murphy's Taproom.

They kind of made me unnerved. I was scared and feeling vulernable. Once released from the police, I asked the waitstaff if I could sit inside for 10 minutes while my ride came. I was told "No."

I don't expect any bar or establishment to provide me safe haven... But if a Free Stater can't offer it, I see no reason to attend Murphy's Taproom over another business like Milly's that has better beer specials.

Thanks to the ManchVegas events on Friday, Murphy's Taproom has lost my business for good. I'm happy to see a Free Stater's business do well (and yay for you Keith, for employing Free Staters to build the deck!) but because I've been told frankly that I'm "just another customer", I will not patronize Taproom over another business with better beer and cheaper prices.

And that's not even getting into bouncers and kicking out my friends.

AntonLee

Quote from: Kevin Freeheart on September 19, 2010, 09:45 PM NHFT
"just another customer..."

Glad you said that.  Freestater owned or not, I don't find places memorable for making me feel like "just another customer".  I really believe in the service industries of today you have to go out of your way to make people feel truly like their guests, like someone they're absolutely glad and wouldn't think otherwise than to go above and beyond to make your experience with them so good that you couldn't think of patronizing another place. 

There's too much competition, not enough in my opinion. Places that would serve you food and not serve you the fun and welcoming experience wouldn't survive except for those that wanted to feel like they should have kept their money and made themselves dinner at home. 

A while back a guy who was very welcoming to me in the FSP, as I remember, was given some sort of inflated menu due to the fact that he didn't give tips to waitresses.  I don't share that idea of not tipping waitresses.  What was offensive to me is that I definitely don't share the idea that giving your customers inflated priced menus is a policy that makes one feel "welcoming" or "a valued customer", nor do I feel that it's some great way to make that customer change their mind about tipping.  When I first learned about tipping as a young one, I learned that it was extra money given to someone for superior service.  If that person went above and beyond for you, making sure you had everything you needed, if they used their talent or craft to give you the great experience. . . you gave them extra as a way of encouraging them to continue doing that everytime you come in.  My fiance survives on tips, she gets them for providing a superior service in hairstyling.  She makes sure she gives you not only what you're paying good money for, but also gives you tips on how to style your hair, what products to use, provides great conversation.  When she gets stiffed, she recognizes the need for her to make the extra effort or to try something different to win that customer's undying satisfaction.  She doesn't run to her boss and complain about how these people come in with sweaty, dirty hair, ask for a wash, color, blowdry, and gel and gave her nothing, thus asking her boss to raise prices for these people that weren't "wowed" or didn't believe in it.  That's not the way to win 'hearts and minds' or am I out of line?

And that's not even getting into bouncers and kicking out my friends.

Even though he's told me not to boycott on his behalf, and I haven't, I've not found a good enough reason to find myself back at that establishment.   After a while I've been tempted, and then heard various rumors about it being the place that "freakstaters" hang out at (which made me want to go, since these "freakstaters" were people like Russell and Kat, Brian Travis, etc who were labeled such for sticking up for themselves or protecting their property- heaven fucking forbid) and stories about how it was the non "freakstaters" hangout (which solidified my reasoning to find something else to do on Tuesdays).  I wasn't into the infighting, and I'm still not.  I went to the establishment from my home in another state in order to spend my money with a Free-Stater.  I would have probably never stepped into that place if not for their FSP connection.  If I had been even a little bit impressed with the food and experience I would have returned based simply on the same fact that it was spending my money with a FreeStater.  After the actions of kicking out a person I'm happy to be acquaintances with, I've not been given a good enough reason to overcome that and go out of my way to spend money there. 

Rearden

I will post only to say that I certainly respect anyone's right to patronize any establishment they wish.  If that place is Milly's, then by all means go and enjoy.  I also enjoy a night out from time to time, and I recommend Strange Brew for a solid burger and a good beer selection.  I am competitive, but not so much so that I can only trash talk my competition.  Mitch at the Brew is a terrific bar owner; he has my respect.

Doormen are a necessary part of doing business in the bar industry.  Perhaps not when you only have 60-90 seats, but the Taproom is now a 650+ facility.  When it's busy, they're necessary to head off fights and other sorts of nasty trouble, as well as to prevent the horde of under-21 people who are always attempting to gain entrance illegally.  With the colder weather, the Taproom now only has doormen on Friday and Saturday nights, just as has been the case for the past three years.  The rest of the week, the bartenders and servers card at the tables.  Milly's has doormen, as does JW Hill's and Strange Brew and the Black Brimmer.  It comes with the industry, and for good reason. 

Kevin, I do not know who told you that you are "just another customer," and wouldn't let you stop in for a few minutes post-encounter.  If you can describe that person, either by name or appearance, it will be made extremely clear that this was unacceptable.  Barring that, all we can do is let the entire staff know as a matter of general policy.  However, there are certain instances that we cannot let people into the restaurant, such as someone who is intoxicated.  I have to assume that wasn't the case here. 

I will not address the issue of the customer who was asked to not return.  That is between that person and the business, and unless a customer chooses to air dirty laundry in public, we will respect the privacy of that person by not delving into it here.  The Taproom uses the "ban" tool far less than most comparable restaurants, and unlike most we will reconsider given some time and a sincere belief that the problem is resolved. 

Finally, no one has ever, ever been given a menu with inflated prices upon it.  A customer once suggested that we make such a menu available, building in the cost of service, in response to a customer who, regardless of how great the service was, made it a policy to never, ever tip.  But that menu was never seriously discussed, let alone printed. 

Managing a 650+ facility with a staff of 75 constantly changing employees is not easy, folks.  There will be from time to time some issues that need to be fixed.  However, those who have brought their complaints forward and informed management have seen that we do everything in our power to make it right.  If you have a problem, do not hesitate to contact us.  Your feedback is invaluable. 

Again, it is your right in a (somewhat) free marketplace to vote with your dollars, and I respect your choice.  But I don't see the managers of Milly's or Hill's or the Brew bothering to post on here, do you?  And if you think for an instant that the ownership of those establishments would tolerate drunk people dropping gun magazines in front of their businesses, and never have bouncers, and would never ban people for certain behavior, and would allow the same customer to never, ever tip even after fine service...  then you should absolutely try those other establishments and see how that works out.  I wish you well.

KBCraig

Quote from: Rearden on September 28, 2010, 12:57 AM NHFT
Doormen are a necessary part of doing business in the bar industry.  Perhaps not when you only have 60-90 seats, but the Taproom is now a 650+ facility.  When it's busy, they're necessary to head off fights and other sorts of nasty trouble, as well as to prevent the horde of under-21 people who are always attempting to gain entrance illegally.

Why is it illegal for under-21 to enter a restaurant?

QuoteI also enjoy a night out from time to time, and I recommend Strange Brew for a solid burger and a good beer selection.

The beat-down by 'roid-raging off duty MPD officers comes with no extra charge.

Rearden

It is not illegal for under-21s to enter a restaurant, and they are welcome at the Taproom up until 9 pm - which is when the doormen generally come on duty.  On the rare day they start before that time, they will not card until 9 pm. 

We do not allow people under 21 in the restaurant after 9 pm because when its very very busy the chances of someone not allowed to legally drink getting alcohol go up substantially, and we'd rather reduce that possibility at the door.  When people are piled four deep at the bar waving money for drinks, I don't want the bartenders carding the customers, I want them making drinks.  And when someone under 21 goes out to a bar at 11 pm on a Saturday, they're generally going to try to drink illegally - endangering our liquor license in the process. 

No comment on the Strange Brew remark, other than to say that they make a good burger and have a good beer selection.  I recommend it over Milly's, which is probably one of the most fight-prone bars in the city.  I guess it's an open question: would you rather be knifed by some gang thug at Milly's or beat up at the Brew or shot at TJ's?  (That just happened two days ago, btw.)

MaineShark

Quote from: Rearden on September 28, 2010, 12:57 AM NHFTMilly's has doormen, as does JW Hill's and Strange Brew and the Black Brimmer.  It comes with the industry, and for good reason.

Not saying anything against private security (since I think private security is a good idea), but I've never seen such at Milly's.  Granted, I only go there about half a dozen times a year, so it's not a statistical set, but I also only go on Friday evenings, so that would seem to be a time when they would use them, if they did.

Never seen a fight there, either, but I tend to leave my 10:00 or so, so maybe they happen after that.

Joe

Rearden

Joe, I'm genuinely astonished at that.  I will definitely look into it.  Perhaps they don't come on until later, but they should definitely be using them on Friday nights. 

A good reason why very busy bars use doormen is that if a given business generates a lot of police calls the city will force them to hire a police detail on certain nights.  Milly's is known to have those sorts of issues regularly, and I'm shocked if they don't use doormen because they would seem to be at risk for incurring that expense.  I'd much rather pay a doorman $10 per hour than be forced to hire an officer at $50 per hour. 

MaineShark

Dunno.  Like I said, it's not a statistical set.  Or maybe they have some other methodology, at the bar itself (card someone once, and give them an wristband, or something?).

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: Rearden on September 28, 2010, 08:02 AM NHFT
It is not illegal for under-21s to enter a restaurant, and they are welcome at the Taproom up until 9 pm - which is when the doormen generally come on duty.  On the rare day they start before that time, they will not card until 9 pm. 

We do not allow people under 21 in the restaurant after 9 pm because when its very very busy the chances of someone not allowed to legally drink getting alcohol go up substantially, and we'd rather reduce that possibility at the door.

Thanks, I was just trying to get clarification of your earlier remark that "under-21 people who are always attempting to gain entrance illegally." They're not trying to gain entrance illegally, just against your policy. And that policy is fine, but it's not the law.

Rearden

The Taproom is hosting a Porc Night next Tuesday, November 30th, at 7 pm in the back room.  Appetizers and drinks will be provided.  The purpose is to provide people a chance to tell the owner what they like and don't like about the business, ask questions, and seek resolution to any outstanding issues.  We hope that many can attend!  Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

ny2nh

Keith - you should put this on FB.....not sure how many people will see the invite here.

CurtHowland

Is this still happening?

Fluff and Stuff

As far as I know it still is.  Every Tuesday that I've been to Manchester for years now it has happened.  Perhaps ask people in Manchester, though.  You likely know dozens by now :)  Especially if you have been to one of the weekly or monthly events there.

CurtHowland

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on May 01, 2011, 09:07 AM NHFTEspecially if you have been to one of the weekly or monthly events there.

Nope, haven't hit either of those yet. That's why I'm asking.