• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ok, maybe not Berlin but......

Started by JDouglasFisher, October 15, 2007, 11:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

this is the kind of information I need.  I can put up with certain smells for a chance to have my own land.

Lloyd Danforth

It will really stink when the Federal Prison is built!

AntonLee

why do they need a federal prison up there???

AntonLee

went up there twice.  I didn't think it was that bad of a city.  The smell was only really bad down in the Cascade area.  I smelled nothing up the hill near the mountain.  Looks like a lot of businesses have moved out. . but was surprised to still see rite aid, jcpenny, and family dollar. 

I thought the river was gorgeous.  Housing was cheap.  It might provide some people a chance to own their land and perhaps start a business.  Now only if you could get the government to allow business to flourish.

K. Darien Freeheart

A lot of the "worst" places in NH are equal to the "good" places where some of us come from. :( As sad as that is to fathom, it's the truth.

I don't think there's a place in NH that makes Baltimore look bad, for instance.

djbridgeland

Quote from: Kevin Dean on September 20, 2009, 09:33 PM NHFT
A lot of the "worst" places in NH are equal to the "good" places where some of us come from. :( As sad as that is to fathom, it's the truth.

I don't think there's a place in NH that makes Baltimore look bad, for instance.

Very true, for instance in Manchester I have seen 5 maybe 10 abandon / boarded up houses in the whole city.  Where I moved from you could go a couple of blocks and count that many.   

AntonLee

someone should list reasons why I shouldn't move to Berlin.

Kat Kanning

nhdiesel

Its been a while since I've posted, but to answer some of the past replies and post an update: Walmart- True, our store is large in comparison to what we had, but compare it to other WalMarts, and its small and is understocked. Its also overpriced- I've compared prices, even taking time to write down stock numbers and compare at other WalMart locations, and many of the products up here are priced higher than other locations. My guess is the lack of competition. They only have to compete with Mom & Pop stores. Another store that does the same thing is the new Tractor Supply store. The Berlin/Gorham store has higher prices than both their catalog, and other stores. A farm jack I bought in Virginia for well under $60 costs aprox. $76 here.

Berlin: Crime is still high, and getting worse. The police do nothing about real crime, and only harass those who won't put up a fuss. They spend more time stopping cars with license plates out than dealing with the major drug problem or other major issues. Unemployment is high, and all Berlin wants to do about it is get another mill in town. They do their best to fight other businesses from moving into town, because they might take the workforce away from a mill, even when we have no mill to compete with.

Burnt houses: As much as I believe in the freedoms of property owners, we aren't talking about a couple minor fires that only affect the landowner. These are burnt shells that are a major safety hazard. Some of the have debris on the sidewalks and in the streets, such as the one in the middle of Main Street. Its at the point that its affecting other people. For example, many insurance companies won't insure you if you live beside or near a vacant building in Berlin. My stepson and his girlfriend rented an apartment next to one of the run-down empty buildings, and they couldn't even get renter's insurance. Other home owners have had their insurance dropped because of the fire danger.

Oh yea, and one more thing- TAXES. Berlin has one of the highest tax rates in the state. But compare the public services Berlin has to other towns. You will pay and pay, and get nothing in return. Someone has to supply the money all those abandoned buildings and empty lots aren't paying for.

I, for one, will be happy when I'm able to move out of here. I moved up from the Keene area. Now Keene isn't looking so bad. There are many other parts of New Hampshire that are also great places to live. Look around, there are places out there much better than up here.

Keyser Soce

Good luck and thanks for the update.

robertrogers

I grew up in Gorham, native of Dummer.

Berlin lost the paper mills which directly put out of work a couple thousand employees from its peak, who where making excellent union wages.  This also put out of work a myriad of supporting industries such as loggers, truck drivers, restaurants, local shops and stores etc.  A big hit on what was once a population of about 18,000 people.

When thousands of people left Berlin for jobs elsewhere, rents and housing became relatively inexpensive as compared to south of the notches where the NH economy was booming.  This caused many hundreds, probably thousands, of low income people dependent on public funds for survival to move from southern NH to the Berlin area because their limited incomes (welfare, social security, and whatnot) could be stretched further due to the lower cost of housing.

Next came the prisons, because few other towns wanted prisons in their backyard but Berlin being in dire need of jobs believed making the area a prison complex would solve their employment  problems.  Say what you will, I know of several families who moved to Berlin because a family member had been incarcerated in town and the found the area to be to their liking.  Now they are living near to additional family members who currently reside in said prison, which is of course of great advantage to all - prison complex and family alike.

Crime and drug use increased, the amount of money the town takes in taxes has drastically decreased.  Many shops and houses are abandoned or in serious disrepair, and that etc and etc and etc.  Many of those who can afford to have moved to surrounding towns such as Gorham, Shelburne, Jefferson to get out of what has become quite the hole.

Gorham is a fine little town, but Littleton, where I currently live, is the hub of the North Country.  Although the big box stores have moved in, they are located on the edge of town and away from the smaller shops situated along the main drag.  In Littleton there is at least some remaining industry and the mood is generally upbeat, crime is much lower than in the Berlin area.

langloisandy

I just bought a house here in Berlin. Great place to live! Tax rate is high, but assessed values are low/realistic (no "street value" BS like other towns), making it somewhat normal for tax $/house.

Crime? Sure, it's everywhere. I have not anything of note and I do notice these things.....

Walmart rocks for local supplies. Pricing is no worse than any other spot. Local lumber yards are cheaper than Home Depot/Lowes (in Conway).

I like the town and the area, A LOT!

Andy

langloisandy

Quote from: langloisandy on December 26, 2010, 04:00 PM NHFT
I just bought a house here in Berlin. Great place to live! Tax rate is high, but assessed values are low/realistic (no "street value" BS like other towns), making it somewhat normal for tax $/house.

Crime? Sure, it's everywhere. I have not anything of note and I do notice these things.....

Walmart rocks for local supplies. Pricing is no worse than any other spot. Local lumber yards are cheaper than Home Depot/Lowes (in Conway).

Andy

Ok, it's been over a year since I last posted. I love Berlin and the surrounding area. Very nice place to be. A tad chilly at the moment, but expected.

Regards,

Andy

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: langloisandy on January 18, 2012, 09:38 AM NHFT
Quote from: langloisandy on December 26, 2010, 04:00 PM NHFT

Andy

Ok, it's been over a year since I last posted. I love Berlin and the surrounding area. Very nice place to be. A tad chilly at the moment, but expected.

Regards,

Andy

8) or cold actually  lol

We checked out that area last summer during PorcFest.