• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wanted: log splitter

Started by Ron Helwig, October 18, 2007, 02:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Helwig

I have a maul and a wedge, but far too much wood to split. I need power.

I'm looking for a log splitter. Something like this or this.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: cathleeninnh on October 18, 2007, 02:34 PM NHFT
Try one of these first?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/id/115614.do

Three problems with that:
QuoteSplits seasoned logs up to 18" long, 10" in diameter.

If it only splits seasoned wood, it probably isn't powerful enough.
It only takes up to 18", and I have logs longer than that needing splitting. I could cut them shorter, but...
Most of what I'm splitting is larger than 10" in diameter, some of it is > 10" radius.

Cool idea though.

If I do get a good sized one, I will certainly be willing to rent it out cheaply to porcs.

kola

Wood splits super easy once it freezes. I always split my wood by hand. I burn 8-12 cords a year. It splits like ice chunks. One mighty swing and wood is flying like crazy. I have one those monster axes with a big maul on one end. If it doesnt split in one blast I just pick up my small hand maul and give it a whack or two and its done.

My granny always told me wood warms you up twice. Once when you split it and the second time when you burn it.   

I never used one of those hydraulic thingys. I am an old fahoned do-it-by-hand guy.

err..have to be careful with that last line.. :blush:

Kola

Insurgent

How many times a year are you going to be splitting that much wood? Renting isn't too expensive and the nice thing about rental equipment is that it's not your problem when it breaks down  :)

Ron Helwig

Alright, we got a splitter. Only 27 tons, which hesitated a little on some of the harder logs when I tested it out. Glad I didn't get a wimpy one.

It is available for renting. The manual says to not go faster than 45 MPH when towing it, but anything in a half-hour drive radius sounds doable.

http://ronhelwig.com/equipment_rental