• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Upgrade to Linux

Started by ArcRiley, October 18, 2007, 01:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcRiley

A new version of Ubuntu Linux was just released featuring significant improvements from previous versions.

While anyone can download and install it themselves (it's easy), if you're upgrading from Windows there can be a fair amount of work to move all your settings and preferences over.  To promote more porcupines embracing software freedom and get me some income until I find a full time job, from now until December 1st I'm offering Windows users upgrading to Ubuntu 7.10 just $20/hour for upgrade-related services:

• Backing up/copying files and configuration
  • Installing non-default applications needed by user
  • Hardware testing and upgrades (ie, new hard drive, ram)
  • Encryption and privacy related setup
  • Training and support as needed

My normal rate is $50/hour, which is itself quite low for Manchester.  Work can be done in your home or (for hardware upgrades) dropped off and picked up here on Manchester's west side.

Fragilityh14

I have the new kubuntu downloading right now ^_^

its slow because so many people are downloading!

I am excited about KDE4 and was going to play around with the beta but dont know that much about linux so will just get the final release which is soon.

For people upgrading from Windows, I think Kubuntu will feel a lot more natural, Ubuntu feel like Mac Os X

That said: this is 100% worth it! People would be amazed by the ease of use and the wide variety of great software.

there are also a lot of great random features, such as the fact that you dont have to select a window to use the scroll bar etc on the mouse, you just put the cursor over it...using windows drives me nuts now!

for $20 an hour you windows users have an opportunity to switch to a much better operating system and support another porc. Plus, software should be free (as in free speech not as in free beer ;))

Insurgent

I'm not particularly interested in Linux, but are you offering general pc support for $20 an hour? My computer is running like crap, probably full of viruses. I'd like to reformat it to see if that helps but don't know where my startup disks are, so I've just been suffering with it.  :-\

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Insurgent on October 18, 2007, 07:42 PM NHFT
I'm not particularly interested in Linux, but are you offering general pc support for $20 an hour? My computer is running like crap, probably full of viruses. I'd like to reformat it to see if that helps but don't know where my startup disks are, so I've just been suffering with it.  :-\
For what you use your computer for, I'd say you should try it. Unless you have a particular program that is only available under Windows (and can't be run using an emulator of some sort) you should be OK. I'm assuming Arc's service would include an initial evaluation of your current setup including a list of Linux alternatives to Windows programs.

I have almost all my data online somewhere, so if I lose my computer I'm fine. I highly suggest it to everyone.

ArcRiley

My normal rate is $50/hour.  I'm offering the discount because liberating people from proprietary systems is something we all benefit from in the long run.

Especially if you don't have your startup disks this is an ideal time to upgrade.  Ubuntu is cost-free, will always be free, with a new version out every 6 months and constant updates should you choose (they're fairly quick and easy).  It also doesn't have the spyware and virus issue that Windows users have to constantly deal with, whereas reinstalling Windows would end you up in the same boat a few weeks to months from now.

As Ron suggested, part of what I do is look at what you have now, backup any files you need, and get you new software to replace what Ubuntu doesn't come with by default.  In some cases that involves running Windows apps under Wine (a windows emulator), which works in almost every case.

Or for $50/hour I could help you get Windows back, knowing you'll need more service within a few months.  Lots of computer service guys consider the constant spyware/botnet/virus removal their bread and butter.  An old friend of mine called recommending GNU/Linux to users "bad for business" since they don't make nearly as many service calls post-upgrade.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Ron Helwig on October 19, 2007, 08:21 AM NHFT
For what you use your computer for, I'd say you should try it. Unless you have a particular program that is only available under Windows (and can't be run using an emulator of some sort) you should be OK. I'm assuming Arc's service would include an initial evaluation of your current setup including a list of Linux alternatives to Windows programs.

I have almost all my data online somewhere, so if I lose my computer I'm fine. I highly suggest it to everyone.

Offsite backups are good—and encrypted, in case they're stolen. Trusting some online provider to keep your data secure (as in not divulging it to some government agency upon request) isn't.

SethCohn

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on October 18, 2007, 07:16 PM NHFT
its slow because so many people are downloading!

This is why you use bittorrent: the more people downloading, the _faster_ it gets.

d_goddard

Quote from: Ron Helwig on October 19, 2007, 08:21 AM NHFT
It's still a giant PITA if your computer is hosed. Reinstalling how many applications?
Plus, what if your data, like mine, includes gigabytes of MP3s and video. Or if you have sensitive data (say, spreadsheets with finances on them)

Personally, I treat my home PC like a real production system:
* RAID + 1 array of the hard drives
* 2 external firewire backup drives

The two backup drives are because I rotate them. Each Sunday night when I take a backup, I bring that drive to work in the morning and leave it in a drawer there. I then take the one that was at work to my home. So if there's a catastrophic fire at home at worst I lose the most recent 2 weeks' worth of data.

Insurgent

Quote from: ArcRiley on October 19, 2007, 12:33 PM NHFT
My normal rate is $50/hour.  I'm offering the discount because liberating people from proprietary systems is something we all benefit from in the long run.

Especially if you don't have your startup disks this is an ideal time to upgrade.  Ubuntu is cost-free, will always be free, with a new version out every 6 months and constant updates should you choose (they're fairly quick and easy).  It also doesn't have the spyware and virus issue that Windows users have to constantly deal with, whereas reinstalling Windows would end you up in the same boat a few weeks to months from now.

As Ron suggested, part of what I do is look at what you have now, backup any files you need, and get you new software to replace what Ubuntu doesn't come with by default.  In some cases that involves running Windows apps under Wine (a windows emulator), which works in almost every case.

Or for $50/hour I could help you get Windows back, knowing you'll need more service within a few months.  Lots of computer service guys consider the constant spyware/botnet/virus removal their bread and butter.  An old friend of mine called recommending GNU/Linux to users "bad for business" since they don't make nearly as many service calls post-upgrade.

Well, my interest is piqued. I have avoided other OS simply because I am not familiar with them. I basically just use the computer for internets and listening to music, stored on an external hard drive. Would having you install this take care of my existing functionality problems, without being able to reformat?

picaro

I'd like to get Gentoo running one of my desktops.  (However, all the peripherals, including monitors, are a 1000 miles away) :/

ArcRiley

Quote from: picaro on October 19, 2007, 09:57 PM NHFT
I'd like to get Gentoo running one of my desktops.  (However, all the peripherals, including monitors, are a 1000 miles away) :/

As much as I'd love to install a Gentoo box for income, I'm betting you'd rather configure your own system for the experience and customization.

Selket is setup here an we have a spare monitor.  She's a Athlon XP 3200+ with a ton of ram an is already configured for distcc for super-fast installs (my other distcc systems are moving Nov 1st'ish so it'll be 2-4 times faster then).

Come over virtually anytime (until I find a full time job) I'll help you out.  Just bring the desktop, keyboard, network cable, and power strip.

Fragilityh14

I just want to once again throw in a plug for Kubuntu ;)

it will feel a lot more natural

KDE>Gnome

not that I know a lot about linux, I have only been using it for 4 months and would never ever go back.

though, I think some obscure part of KDE is copyrighted by someone...but it's still "free" in most senses as far as I know?

everyone here who uses windows should take him up on this offer

Jesus would drive a linux box.

distcc? Don't forget ccache. No need to distribute anything if it doesn't need to be compiled, right?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ccache

ArcRiley

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on October 21, 2007, 09:44 PM NHFT
KDE>Gnome

Different folks, different strokes.  Makes no matter to me, they're both free (as in cost and freedom) and take about the same time to install/setup.

Personally, a few months ago I transitioned my last KDE box to Gnome.  KDE is, well, flashier.  I usually say it's closer to OSX in operation and appearance.  It also eats more RAM and I've found it slower.  Turning off the special effects would help but then you might as well be using Gnome.

In Ithaca I had a number of "regulars" (ie, I'd work for them once a year for major updates) who preferred KDE.  Many started with KDE because it was easier to transition from OSX to it, where Gnome "seems more like Windows".  I think the latter is why Ubuntu chose that for the default.

For anyone who's curious there's screenshots of both Gnome and KDE on their respective websites (gnome.org and kde.org)

not that I know a lot about linux, I have only been using it for 4 months and would never ever go back.

though, I think some obscure part of KDE is copyrighted by someone...but it's still "free" in most senses as far as I know?

Thanks for choosing Freedom!  Every person who chooses software freedom vs the Microsoft Tax strengthens us and weakens them.

Trolltech Inc does have a copyright on KDE.  Copyright is the mechanism by which copyleft works; the software is copyrighted, then the GNU General Public License (GPL) offered as the means in which it may be used, modified, and redistributed.  Gnome, and all virtually all of a modern GNU/Linux system is copylefted in a similar way.

This is why all the big software corps have started supporting software freedom; IBM, Novell, Real Networks, Sun Microsystems, Motorola, AMD, Intel, etc.  Without copyleft they would have simply taken the community's good will and done their own thing with it.

As the great free market capitalists they all are, they've all come to see the advantage of cooperation.  All these corporations get billions of dollars worth of royalty-free code which they can modify, rebrand, redistribute for free or for charge, and all they have to do is give credit and cooperate back (by offering their modifications under the same license).  The market has transformed from paying "taxes" in the form of software royalties to paying for direct services related to the software.

Such as, well, much like the service I'm offering here ;-)  This is all an excellent example of how markets, even with a great deal of government coercion to the contrary, eventually de-monopolize themselves.

everyone here who uses windows should take him up on this offer

Thanks for the plug  ;D

Even if you don't have the cash, Ubuntu is free to download, burn, install.  If you're like me, currently unemployed and low on cash, take the time to improve yourself by installing and figuring it out.  There's a good deal of (gratis) support in this community for specific problems or questions.

Now, if you got more cash than time, I can save you a good deal of the latter for very little of the prior.  ;)

Fragilityh14

It's really strange you would say that, because the very look at feel of normal Ubuntu reminds me very much of using OSX and I can't find what I want as well: beyond which, in my experience the software suite which is default on KDE (I realize you can get them all anyway)  are far better than the programs on Gnome amongst other things. Also from my research some prominent people all the way up to Linus Torvalds have trashed Gnome :P