• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Upgrade to Linux

Started by ArcRiley, October 18, 2007, 01:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcRiley

You don't match apps, you match functionality.

Check out http://jackaudio.org/ - specifically the applications that use it.  While not exhaustive it's one of the more complete lists of professional grade free software audio toolsets.

EJinCT

Quote from: ArcRiley on December 03, 2007, 10:18 AM NHFT
You don't match apps, you match functionality.

Check out http://jackaudio.org/ - specifically the applications that use it.  While not exhaustive it's one of the more complete lists of professional grade free software audio toolsets.

Nice, thanks.  8)

Too bad none of the apps I own/use, are supported; additionally none of the app's supported even come close to the functionality of those I do use.

I really wish I could afford a nice analog/hardware-based set-up; O.S.'s wouldn't even be an issue.  ;D

ArcRiley

How do you know if you've never used them?

Insurgent

Quote from: ArcRiley on December 03, 2007, 01:01 PM NHFT

Yeah, exactly. I was worried that by switching to Ubuntu that I wouldn't be able to play my music library but there's a decent ap called Exaile which seems to work just as well as Itunes. I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to watch Youtube videos, but thankfully have been proven wrong about that as well.

I'm as happy as a pig in shit right now--a machine which I thought was ready for the dumpster is now my new best friend  :) Thanks, again ArcRiley!

error

Exaile? Hm, that's a new one. I'll have to try that out.

PowerPenguin

Re: your sig:

"Just 15 minutes could save you $15k/yr or more on taxes!"

Note that GEICO= Govt Employees Ins Co. It started in NJ(?) as a bureaucrats-only establishment.

ArcRiley

Quote from: Insurgent on December 03, 2007, 06:49 PM NHFT
a machine which I thought was ready for the dumpster is now my new best friend  :)

Yea ironically that was the paradox we found ourselves in with the recycling center.

Almost everyone who switched to GNU/Linux (mostly Ubuntu) wouldn't throw their system away, even when it was old.  In fact I think we only got a handful of systems donated with Linux pre-loaded (a couple old Redhat servers), the rest were Windows.  Handing Ubuntu CDs out and helping people install it turned us into our own competition.

Insurgent

Quote from: error on December 03, 2007, 08:37 PM NHFT
Exaile? Hm, that's a new one. I'll have to try that out.

Yep, I was using Itunes before and had all my music saved on the external drive. ArcRiley clicked a couple buttons and Exaile recognized all the files and uploaded the songs into the program. Seamless, painless and just as functional as Itunes. I don't use an Ipod, though so not sure if it's compatible with any mp3 portable devices.

Did I mention how excited I am about my computer now?  :D

EJinCT

Quote from: ArcRiley on December 03, 2007, 01:01 PM NHFT

If you are referring to jackaudio, I read the tech. info and the formats it is compatable/easily integrated with. None of the programs/hardware/data transfer methods I run are currently compatible with it. ( w/o being a coding genius anyway.)

I currently keep up to date with music production technology and 99.9% of all digital music production takes place on Windows & Mac O.S.'s. If there were compatible alternate O.S.'s, with the same functionality as Windows/Macs running say, Pro-Tools, Cubase, Reason, or even Acid; I would have read about them, I'm sure.  I have even read articles with top producers & engineers stating they wish there were alternatives, but sadly at this time there aren't.

After spending over $1,200.00 on music software  for my Windows box, I am unwilling at this time to re-invest in something that will offer negligable, if any, difference in operation for me; and I have no inclination to learn coding; simply holds no interest for me ( besides, I'm practically dyslexic when it comes to numbers.  :blush: )

ArcRiley

Quote from: EJinNH on December 04, 2007, 06:11 PM NHFT
If you are referring to jackaudio, I read the tech. info and the formats it is compatable/easily integrated with. None of the programs/hardware/data transfer methods I run are currently compatible with it. ( w/o being a coding genius anyway.)

Migrating to free software doesn't mean just replacing the OS, it means replacing the proprietary apps you use with free software apps which have the same functionality.  No, your existing programs are not going to run.  Your fruity loops will not run on Linux, nobody running Linux would really care if it did.

That is the wrong question to ask.  The question to ask is whether you'll be able to do the same stuff post-migration.  There are thousands of professional recording studios, musicians, etc using GNU/Linux with Jack.

I currently keep up to date with music production technology

The magazines and sources you read about that stuff from are ad supported by the "industry".  Of course they're going to focus on things that make their advertisers money.  Much of what you paid for your software went to pay for these advertisements.  If this is where your information comes the next part makes complete sense:

After spending over $1,200.00 on music software  for my Windows box

Spending this much money on software creates a large cognitive dissonance loop.  You must believe that this investment was worth it or have to admit to yourself that you wasted $1200.  Since you don't want to admit that to yourself, having a firm belief of being a well informed consumer and the quality of the tools you've invested time into learning, you will outright reject any information or evidence to the contrary.

This is much like the issue of explaining to artists, who've spent years convincing themselves that living on shoestring budgets, working shit part time jobs, and otherwise suffering in order to focus on their art with the self-delusion that some day their art will make them a millionaire and their suffering will be over.. that their delusion is an illusion created by the music distribution cartel (RIAA) in order to keep the indy musicians from pursuing alternative distribution methods which threat their industry.

It is not for me to change you. The question is, how can I be of service to you without (further) diminishing your degrees of freedom?

I have no inclination to learn coding; simply holds no interest for me

Nobody said anything about you learning to code.  The Jack toolset suite has nice gui frontends.  Since you have outright rejected the notion that there may be alternatives which protect your liberty, for me to argue this further is moot.

error

TackleTheWorld

How about if I want to create interactive vector-based animations and develop web-based intensively visual applications typically done with Adobe flash and .swf files?  Is there a linux parallel?

Dan

Inkscape is just way too fun for making non-interactive vector drawings.  It's just plain fun to play with.  Search youtube for tutorials, and follow along.

Lots of references to running Adobe's flash software under wine.

ktoon is a .swf platform specifically created for making animated comics and anime.

There doesn't seem to be anything out there that doesn't require programming skills.  :(

SVG and likely MS's silverlight is likely the answer going forward.  Both are primed to make the closed format of .swf files obsolete.  But that looks at least two years down the road.

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Dan on December 09, 2007, 11:23 AM NHFT

There doesn't seem to be anything out there that doesn't require programming skills.  :(

Wait, don't FSPers raise their arms in triumph when something requires programming skills?
I know I do.

SethCohn

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on December 08, 2007, 08:56 PM NHFT
How about if I want to create interactive vector-based animations and develop web-based intensively visual applications typically done with Adobe flash and .swf files?  Is there a linux parallel?

there was one called Moho, it was changed to Anime Studio:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8551
(not free, though)

But from the same folks (and this IS free)
Lip syncing animation for Linux (and windows and Mac):
http://www.lostmarble.com/papagayo/index.shtml