• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

My personal defiance of the law

Started by KBCraig, June 05, 2005, 03:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I've been working on a project for some time now, and I never even considered the ramifications. But, I'm breaking the law.

We've undertaken to enclose our garage and divide it into an entryway, mud room, pantry, laundry, and "dorm" for the oldest three boys (18, 14, almost 10). I have plenty of work experience, knowledge, and skill at doing everything that's required, but I don't have a license in any trade. I also don't have a building permit.

It just dawned on me yesterday, when I finished putting up the thermal barrier, that I was probably breaking some local ordinance (we do have zoning, and building permits are required). And you know what? I don't care. The police chief lives on the cul-de-sac directly behind me. I wave as the local PD makes their regular rounds, while I'm busy breaking the law. The work I'm doing meets all the codes, and I don't need a PE to sign off on my new load-bearing wall, which is constructed exactly like every other load-bearing wall in the house.

I'm going to consult with a licensed electrician co-worker before I run the wiring. Not because I'm unsure of my ability to do the work, but because I want to make sure I'm not forgetting to allow for some future needs.

All of this work isn't so much because we want to stay in this house; it's to add value for the day when we sell and move to NH. If we sold right now, we'd have a good $40k in hand to start over up there. In 2-4 years, when we expect to move, all the work will be done and we'll be looking at clearing $60-80k on the house. I know that's nothing to the California folks, but in this cheap and stable market, I'll have doubled the price I paid 13 years ago.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

When you're done, you should have an "open house" on a weekend and announce it to the local press.  Civil disobedience at its best!

What are they going to do?  Arrest you?   ;D

GT

A few year back on of the neighbors of a co-worker put up an above ground pool. He did everything correctly and to code. The only thing he did not do was get a permint. The local building inspector found out about the "illegal" pool and forced the home owner to remove the pool. :(

Michael Fisher

Quote from: GDouglas on June 05, 2005, 05:17 PM NHFT
A few year back on of the neighbors of a co-worker put up an above ground pool. He did everything correctly and to code. The only thing he did not do was get a permint. The local building inspector found out about the "illegal" pool and forced the home owner to remove the pool. :(

Refuse to remove it.

FTL_Ian

In general, government will demand the destruction of modified structures... I don't know if they would bring out a bulldozer or not though.

Lloyd Danforth

Just be quiet and when the time comes, sell your house and come to NH.
When it comes to civil disobediance, a couple of days in jail is nothing compared to dismantling your house, having it condemed, or not being able to sell it.

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 06, 2005, 06:22 AM NHFT
Just be quiet and when the time comes, sell your house and come to NH.
When it comes to civil disobediance, a couple of days in jail is nothing compared to dismantling your house, having it condemed, or not being able to sell it.

I don't intend to make an issue of it. I just intend to go about the quiet enjoyment of my property despite the law.

Kevin

AlanM

I was a carpenter for almost 30 years. I did many jobs without permits or approvals. As far as I was concerned, I worked for the customer, not the Guv'mint.

foreverfree

Quote from: KBCraig on June 05, 2005, 03:44 PM NHFT
I've been working on a project for some time now, and I never even considered the ramifications. But, I'm breaking the law.

We've undertaken to enclose our garage and divide it into an entryway, mud room, pantry, laundry, and "dorm" for the oldest three boys (18, 14, almost 10). I have plenty of work experience, knowledge, and skill at doing everything that's required, but I don't have a license in any trade. I also don't have a building permit.

It just dawned on me yesterday, when I finished putting up the thermal barrier, that I was probably breaking some local ordinance (we do have zoning, and building permits are required). And you know what? I don't care. The police chief lives on the cul-de-sac directly behind me. I wave as the local PD makes their regular rounds, while I'm busy breaking the law. The work I'm doing meets all the codes, and I don't need a PE to sign off on my new load-bearing wall, which is constructed exactly like every other load-bearing wall in the house.

I'm going to consult with a licensed electrician co-worker before I run the wiring. Not because I'm unsure of my ability to do the work, but because I want to make sure I'm not forgetting to allow for some future needs.

All of this work isn't so much because we want to stay in this house; it's to add value for the day when we sell and move to NH. If we sold right now, we'd have a good $40k in hand to start over up there. In 2-4 years, when we expect to move, all the work will be done and we'll be looking at clearing $60-80k on the house. I know that's nothing to the California folks, but in this cheap and stable market, I'll have doubled the price I paid 13 years ago.

Kevin

Real proud of ya! ;)