• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Naked cyclists

Started by KBCraig, June 14, 2005, 11:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I don't know that they're part of the group, but here are some possible contacts. They're obviously willing to take a stand, and one of them is from Keene!

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4606367/detail.html

CONWAY, N.H. -- Two men face charges for allegedly riding their bicycles naked in a worldwide protest of people's dependence on cars.

Richard Bartlett, 49, of Tyngsboro, Mass., and Richard Schultz, 65, of Keene, N.H., were charged Saturday with indecent exposure and lewdness, police said. Police said they got a report Saturday morning of four naked cyclists on a road behind stores on Route 16, but two had clothes on when police arrived.

Sponsors organized the World Naked Bike Ride to protest worldwide dependence on cars and oil and to promote bicycling as transportation. In London, about 100 naked cyclists rode past Big Ben and other landmarks. Some bikes carried banners that read, "Oil is not a bare necessity but a crude obsession."

Bartlett and Schultz have a hearing scheduled for July 5 in Conway District Court.

Hmmmm... they were charged with "indecent exposure and lewdness", which is the title of RSA 645:1

645:1 Indecent Exposure and Lewdness. ?
    I. A person is guilty of a misdemeanor if such person:
       (a) Fornicates, exposes his or her genitals or performs any other act of gross lewdness under circumstances which he or she should know will likely cause affront or alarm.

I wonder how they're going to plead.

Kevin

tracysaboe

Somes like come environmental commie group.

Of course, I don't think I support indecent exposure laws.

Tracy

KBCraig

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 14, 2005, 01:17 PM NHFT
Somes like come environmental commie group.

Of course, I don't think I support indecent exposure laws.

Tracy

When I first saw this yesterday, it was the naked biker event in Spain, and it was portrayed as a traffic safety issue. They were emphasizing that bicyclists are relatively "naked", protection-wise, against cars, and encouraging motorists to slow down and use caution.

Some of the other folks, particulary in the U.S. and Canada, do seem to be engaged in "no oil, no cars" protests. But it might be worth touching base, just to see if they're liberty folks, or watermelons.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on June 14, 2005, 02:46 PM NHFT
When I first saw this yesterday, it was the naked biker event in Spain, and it was portrayed as a traffic safety issue. They were emphasizing that bicyclists are relatively "naked", protection-wise, against cars, and encouraging motorists to slow down and use caution.

Some of the other folks, particulary in the U.S. and Canada, do seem to be engaged in "no oil, no cars" protests. But it might be worth touching base, just to see if they're liberty folks, or watermelons.

Kevin

LOL

The way I see it, they're brave, they're outlaws, and they did not hurt anyone, so they are potential allies.

Libertarians in general can find common ground with almost anyone, so chances are, there's a common goal we share with them.

We're all nonviolent outlaws, and we probably have a common goal, so why not work with them?