• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anarchy in your Head Web Comics

Started by dalebert, October 20, 2007, 04:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 31, 2007, 12:53 PM NHFT
Comments are tough to come by.  FreeKeene has been around almost an entire year and it's very rare that stories receive comments.  Need more traffic, I guess.
No... the reason FreeKeene doesn't get comments is because you have to be logged-in to submit them.

I would suggest allowing comments from anyone. Just use a captcha for anonymous visitors to avoid spam.
See, for example, FreeStateBlogs. I keep getting comments there on "hot" stories that are long since old news (like Dave's open carry incident, the NH smoking ban, etc)

FTL_Ian

Do you know what plug-in I would need for WordPress to allow this?

dalebert

I thought my site allowed comments without a login but you do have to give it an email address. Also, it's moderated, so comments don't appear right away. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 31, 2007, 01:15 PM NHFT
Do you know what plug-in I would need for WordPress to allow this?
Nope. Never used WordPress.

Much as I dislike Drupal, it's powering much of the FSP webverse (FSB, FSP, NHLA, NHLibertyDollar, GimmeLiberty, etc), so once you're familiar with it, you can help on a whole wide range of sites.
One of my long-standing action items is to write up a quick Drupal Guide for Web Programmers.

I hear lots of good things about Joomla and may use that for a site I need to set up in the next few days. We'll see.

Puke

Quote from: dalebert on October 31, 2007, 01:23 PM NHFT
I thought my site allowed comments without a login but you do have to give it an email address. Also, it's moderated, so comments don't appear right away. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, I had to register and my comment is awaiting approval.

dalebert

I just found the option that requires people to register to make comments. I turned it off. I also realized I had accidentally turned off the thing that sends me an email when a comment needs to be moderated. Hopefully that will help a little.

error

Comments are tough to come by.  FreeKeene has been around almost an entire year and it's very rare that stories receive comments.  Need more traffic, I guess.

Just turn the option off at Options > General. "Users must be registered and logged in to comment." Or, you can allow anyone to register, though it's been my experience that few will bother.

dalebert

Quote from: error on October 31, 2007, 04:58 PM NHFT
Just turn the option off at Options > General. "Users must be registered and logged in to comment." Or, you can allow anyone to register, though it's been my experience that few will bother.

That's what I did. People can still register but it's not required to post comments... I think.

J’raxis 270145

Dale:—

Speed issues are largely resolved. Turned out to be mostly MySQL's fault: I had it misconfigured to suck up so much memory that it caused an insane amount of swapping. I'm going to keep tuning stuff, because it still takes 3–4 seconds to load a page, but it's better than the 10–30-second delays you were experiencing before.

dalebert

That's great news, Jeremy. Thanx!

In other news regarding the site, there is now a convenient digg button for each cartoon. When it's at zero, the first person to click it should be directed to a new entry creation page at Digg.com with some default information already entered. You can edit it as you please, for instance to describe what the article (cartoon in this case) is about. The button at the site will then point to that new digg entry and others can digg it up.

I think if you create a digg entry for your own stuph, you can get hair on your palms or go blind or something. I did it for the first cartoon but I shall remain pure from now on!

Pat K

Very nice work Dale.

There will be random palms inspections to make sure
you remain pure.  ;D

FTL_Ian

Quote from: error on October 31, 2007, 04:58 PM NHFT

Would captcha be in effect for comments in that case?

dalebert

Quote from: Pat K on November 01, 2007, 01:13 PM NHFT
There will be random palms inspections to make sure
you remain pure.  ;D

I'm trying my darndest to remain pure but no one seems to want to be the first one to digg! Aaaaahhh!  Surely one of the two people in my fan club will start the digg?  ;D

Pat K

dalebert

Quote from: Pat K on November 01, 2007, 04:10 PM NHFT
Dug.

Now Pat, you realize you're just teaching me that whining is the way to get what you want. Just the other night I won a stuffed South Park toy by whining a lot.  ;D