• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Something scarier than terrorists in Iraq

Started by dalebert, October 23, 2007, 09:51 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on October 31, 2007, 01:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 30, 2007, 11:26 PM NHFT
We have a spider that has built his web in the back corner of our mailbox and I'm so careful when I get the mail out because this spider is pretty nasty looking, but I don't want to kill him either.  Gosh, I hope it's not a girl pregnant spider, then all of the babies will build webs in the mailbox too, right? :-\

Didn't you see Charlotte's Web? They will make little web parachutes and blow away.
:D

Yay!  I feel so much better now, thanks! ;D

dalebert

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on October 31, 2007, 02:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 31, 2007, 01:26 PM NHFT
Yay!  I feel so much better now, thanks! ;D

Quote from: dalebert on October 31, 2007, 01:01 PM NHFT
They will make little web parachutes and blow away...

...into your hair.  >:D

I bet I know what your costume is going to be Dalebert, a devil!   ::)

grasshopper

There issomething, I don't know DNA memory? That makes me scared shitless of spiders.  Any crewley thing that bites ist live prey and watches it digest and sucks the stuff out of it scares me.  I got bit 2 years ago.  My leg swelled up, my veins were starting to necrotise, just when I went to the doctor, he said it was probribly a small recluse.  Brrrrrr, I hate em.

Lactivist

GEEK ALERT:

Being someone who taught workshops to educators on spiders...

Spiders are NOT harmful to humans.  Spiders actually only bite when there's no other way out, and out of fear (i.e. most are trapped in clothing/shoes/corner and have a GIANT human about to squash them).  Humans could not live on this earth without spiders.  They are the largest control for dangerous and pest insects.  SO, don't kill your local spider.  Always relocate it.  Appreciate it as a creature that can regenerate its limbs, can make several different types of the stongest material on earth (government and others have long tried to create a synthetic silk with spider properties) - oh, FYI if your horse (or I guess other barnyard animal) gets hurt and is bleeding, grab some spiderweb and put it on the wound...better than gauze until help arrives - can be aquatic & terrestrial, have lived on this earth far longer than humans...

Sorry for the rambling, but people really don't appreciate spiders as they should!

dalebert

Quote from: LActavist on February 21, 2008, 06:53 AM NHFT... can make several different types of the stongest material on earth...

I used to think that too but turns out it's something else- feathers I think. That is, if you gauge strength vs. weight.

Lactivist

Sorry, should reiterate...highest tensile strength.

Lactivist

oops, brain not functioning, not "reiterate" but should be "clarify"

UGGHH, I swear having kids really does take away brain cells....

Puke

Camel spiders aren't spiders any how. They are a type of tail-less scorpion.
In Iraq/Afghanistan I killed them b/c I didn't want one in my tent. Here in the US I love spiders as long as they aren't on me.

Lactivist

I have to admit I don't know much about the camel spider, just wanted to take the chance to throw out some good publicity for spiders to some of the "fearful" out there!  I know mainly about US spiders.

However, I see that the camel spider does in fact help in controlling pest insects...so it is an important species there.