• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Planning a trip and possible move to NH...

Started by ip0ne, October 24, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ip0ne

Greetings all,  cross post from the FSP forum:

In addition to the below post, I'm coming up Friday November 9th.  I'm hoping to get there early enough to check out the night scene at Murphy's Tap (that is the FSPer owned pub in Manchester, I think).  I'm staying in seabrook this time around and will focus on portsmouth, manchester and concord but will most likely make a quick trip to the white mountain area.  I also plan on making another trip in JAN for the Liberty Forum.  Which town would you guys say is the most regulated or has the most taxes, etc?  As far living is concerned, I won't really be able to say for certain which town until I've been there a few times.  My first preference is to rent from a fellow FSPer or some one of similar mindset.  I have a small dog and two cats.

QuoteHey guys, so I'm planning to drive up to NH (about 8 hours NE) next weekend to explore.  I'm thinking of moving to NH for several reasons, one of which is the FSP, of course.

What areas would you recommend I check out for starters?  I'll be coming in from the southern end of NH, prolly Nashua.

OK, lemme get this straight:  No state sales nor state income state nor a "personal tax."  The latter of which really pisses me off here in PA.  And vehicle insurance is NOT compulsory?  Has anyone come across a breakdown of property tax rates in the various counties?  Not that I'm "buying" a house.  I'm gonna rent.  I'm not looking forward to the winters in NH but oh well.  Such as it is in the higher latitudes.

IF I can get things in order by next spring, I hope to be moved to NH just in time for fall 2008.  Finding a place to live does not concern me so much as finding a job.  If I didn't have to find a job, I'd be packing my stuff now.

As a side question for those that DO live in NH presently:  What DON'T you like about living in NH?  Obviously, since you live there I'm guessing the pros out weight the cons for you.  I know this is more of a personal preference:  What areas of NH do you consider the least intrusive and liberty oriented?  What areas, in general, do you consider "best place" to live in NH?  It is nice that several of the larger towns are within reasonable driving distance from each other.  I'm prolly not going to move into one of the largest towns in NH but something with decent broadband internet coverage would be good.

Advice/opinions appreciated whilst I keep researching :-)  Thanks

PS:  How are the summers up there?  Prolly about the same as south central PA, perhaps a bit cooler, I'm guessing.  And does anyone take any martial arts training in NH?  I'm presently taking Isshinryu and would not mind finding an Isshinryu club in NH if possible.

In addition

Riddler

Hi there,

What ever you do, don't move to nashua or manch...unless you like obnoxious city life...plenty of smaller, far nicer towns surrounding them. I live @ 15 min. from Nashua (nausea), and it's closer than I'd like. I've lived here 43+ yrs.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: ip0ne on October 24, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT
Greetings all,  cross post from the FSP forum:

In addition to the below post, I'm coming up Friday November 9th.  I'm hoping to get there early enough to check out the night scene at Murphy's Tap (that is the FSPer owned pub in Manchester, I think).  I'm staying in seabrook this time around and will focus on portsmouth, manchester and concord but will most likely make a quick trip to the white mountain area.  I also plan on making another trip in JAN for the Liberty Forum.  Which town would you guys say is the most regulated or has the most taxes, etc?  As far living is concerned, I won't really be able to say for certain which town until I've been there a few times.  My first preference is to rent from a fellow FSPer or some one of similar mindset.  I have a small dog and two cats.

From what I've heard from many Porcs and others is that Portsmouth is one of the least free cities in NH and the small, widespot-in-the-road of Grafton the most free. No zoning being a big one.

Rosie the Riveter

Welcome to NHfree.

It does seem like the cities are more regulated and the small towns are more free, but we have a blast here in Manchester (Manchvegas).

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on October 28, 2007, 04:35 PM NHFT
Welcome to NHfree.

It does seem like the cities are more regulated and the small towns are more free, but we have a blast here in Manchester (Manchvegas).

Thanks for the welcome Rosie, although I've been a member of this message board for awhile, just started posting on here regularly because I've decided I was fed up with the FTL message board. I'm a New England native and have spent a lot of time while growing up going to NH. Now with the Free State Project I appreciate it ten times more and can't wait to move.  8) Looking to move to the Lebanon area.  8)

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on October 28, 2007, 04:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on October 28, 2007, 04:35 PM NHFT
Welcome to NHfree.

Thanks for the welcome Rosie, although I've been a member of this message board for awhile, just started posting on here regularly because I've decided I was fed up with the FTL message board. I'm a New England native and have spent a lot of time while growing up going to NH. Now with the Free State Project I appreciate it ten times more and can't wait to move.  8) Looking to move to the Lebanon area.  8)

You will find there is a good group of freedom lovers in western NH and I would guess a lot of jobs in the Lebanon area.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Scott Roth on October 28, 2007, 06:06 PM NHFT
The Monadnock Region is still the best.  Been here 30+ years.

Been all over NH for over 30 years and I love it all but Lebanon area is looking great for us. I do love Keene, especially since I grew up about an hour away and would go up there all the time.