• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Started by MSTCrowT, June 16, 2005, 12:00 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MSTCrowT

I've specified a link for my avatar, but it's not showing up in posts.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

KBCraig

Quote from: MSTCrowT on June 16, 2005, 12:00 AM NHFT
I've specified a link for my avatar, but it's not showing up in posts.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

From your profile: forum profile information, select "I have my own pic:" and enter the URL.

If you've followed those steps, and it's still not working, then please copy the URL for your avatar here, and we'll see if we can't provide an alternate URL for you.

Kevin

Ron Helwig

If you are using a decent browser, then your avatar should not be showing (at least as long as it is on a different site).
Allowing graphics from a site different than the one you are browsing is a security risk.

If using FireFox, for example, you can set it to block images that aren't from the originating site. You can also make exceptions, like "allow:upload.wikimedia.org" - Tools/Options/Web Features/Exceptions

zackbass

Quote from: rhelwig on June 16, 2005, 09:10 AM NHFT

Allowing graphics from a site different [from] the one you are browsing is a security risk.

Please explain how that can be a security risk.  And to whom is it a risk, the one who is browsing?  I just can't fathom how a graphic image can harm anything.  Certainly it can alert the site hosting the image that there has been a hit... is that what you're worried about?
I make sites all the time that contain pictures from others of my sites, never realized it was risky and never had a single user say that he couldn't see the image.

KBCraig

If you own the originating site, it can be risky to your bandwidth bill should one your your images become overly popular. ;)

As for the other kind of "risky"... I believe there have been reports of virii contained within images. I don't pay much attention to virus reports, since I'm pretty well immune.

(Please: this is not an OS advocacy opportunity. If I'm immune because I'm in the minority, hallelujah for market share!)

Kevin