• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Phone taxes

Started by DagnyTaggart, October 30, 2007, 10:03 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

DagnyTaggart

Did anyone else notice their phone bill went up this past month due to new taxes?

error

Phone taxes? WHAT phone taxes?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Scott Roth on October 30, 2007, 03:19 PM NHFT
Don't pay them!

I know this might sound dumb but won't they shut my phone off if I don't?  I've called the phone company before and asked them to explain every single charge to me and they can't.  The person I spoke with said it had to do with the FAA, (I think that was it), and they do what they want.

I want to stop a lot of things I just don't have any idea how.  My husband's paychecks, the taxes are already taken out before he even receives them but if there are other ways I'd love to hear them. :)  If people don't pay house taxes don't they lose their homes?  See, that's what I don't understand about how I can avoid paying taxes?  If it were just me I'd rent and take a job under the table that's what I did before I had kids but now anything I do affects them so I'm confused. :-\

LiveFree

Rent doesn't really help in the whole not feeding the system thing, since your landlord pays their property taxes, which comes out of the rent you pay them.  Sure it makes it indirect, but you still pay...

error

This has a lot to do with how phone taxes and such fees are structured. Generally how it works is this: Under the various laws, the phone companies are responsible for paying the taxes, fees, etc., themselves, and then recovering the costs from their customers.

Raineyrocks

I'm guessing that there's really nothing I can to avoid paying taxes of any sort then, right? :-\

penguins4me

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 31, 2007, 06:37 PM NHFT
I'm guessing that there's really nothing I can to avoid paying taxes of any sort then, right? :-\

The pragmatic thing to do is to pay the taxes. Otherwise, you're looking at becoming self-employed to fend off the automatic theft, constant theft of your property (cars, homes, etc.), likely jail time, etc., depending on how many taxes you're looking to refuse.

"Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" does not stipulate that everything Caesar says belongs to him actually does.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: penguins4me on November 01, 2007, 05:49 AM NHFT

The pragmatic thing to do is to pay the taxes. Otherwise, you're looking at becoming self-employed to fend off the automatic theft, constant theft of your property (cars, homes, etc.), likely jail time, etc., depending on how many taxes you're looking to refuse.

"Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" does not stipulate that everything Caesar says belongs to him actually does.

I would love to stop paying taxes and I agree with you the penalties are intense especially when children are involved.  I'm trying to think of a business I can start but a simple one not like the one you told me about a few months ago, (it seemed very confusing and unenjoyable to me, no offense whatsoever).  :)
Can you explain the Caesar quote to me please?

penguins4me

By the way, I did not mean to demean self-employment - to the contrary, I aspire to be a self-supporting individual as soon as I can convince myself to leap.

Quote from: raineyrocks on November 01, 2007, 04:30 PM NHFT

I would love to stop paying taxes and I agree with you the penalties are intense especially when children are involved.  I'm trying to think of a business I can start but a simple one not like the one you told me about a few months ago, (it seemed very confusing and unenjoyable to me, no offense whatsoever).  :)

The paraphrased quote about Caesar comes from the Bible: Matthew 22:21. It's usually used in the context that people (specifically Christians, true) are supposed to give to the government (at that time, Caesar) what belongs to the government. The unspoken ASSumption is that whatever the government asks for (demands, steals, etc.) rightfully belongs to the government. That assumption is quite false in almost all cases.

In other words, I was attempting to simply state that "just because the government wants something, that doesn't mean you should automatically give it to them"... and failing, apparently. Not that such sentiment is novel here.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: penguins4me on November 02, 2007, 12:56 AM NHFT
By the way, I did not mean to demean self-employment - to the contrary, I aspire to be a self-supporting individual as soon as I can convince myself to leap.

Quote from: raineyrocks on November 01, 2007, 04:30 PM NHFT

The paraphrased quote about Caesar comes from the Bible: Matthew 22:21. It's usually used in the context that people (specifically Christians, true) are supposed to give to the government (at that time, Caesar) what belongs to the government. The unspoken ASSumption is that whatever the government asks for (demands, steals, etc.) rightfully belongs to the government. That assumption is quite false in almost all cases.

In other words, I was attempting to simply state that "just because the government wants something, that doesn't mean you should automatically give it to them"... and failing, apparently. Not that such sentiment is novel here.

I didn't take your post as demeaning self employment. :)  Thank you for explaining the Caesar quote too!   I think I remember reading that in the bible before, the bible can be quite confusing if taken totally literal, it's confusing to me even without taking it literal. 

I asked a pastor one time a question about tithing and I said, "If a family is in real bad debt and tithing 10% of their gross weekly income, (that's what it's supposed to be, not net according to a lot of churches), would mean they couldn't pay their bills should they still tithe?  He said, "yes."  ::)

CNHT

Quote from: DagnyTaggart on October 30, 2007, 10:03 AM NHFT
Did anyone else notice their phone bill went up this past month due to new taxes?

What did you expect with the D's in charge? Wait 'til you see the new taxes proposed for 2008!
They are trying to spend us into oblivion to justify these taxes as well.