• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Protest the 'View' Tax

Started by CNHT, October 31, 2007, 09:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lawofattraction on November 01, 2007, 05:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on November 01, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: lawofattraction on November 01, 2007, 04:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on November 01, 2007, 04:13 PM NHFT
I think the view tax is stupid.  There are trees, lakes, mountains in a lot of places what's the big deal?

What do you think about the waterfront property tax?

Thank you for asking! :)  I think that is stupid too.

Well I hope Free Staters will put the abolishment of waterfront property taxes at the top of their agenda - I have always wanted to buy a little place on Newfound Lake!  :D

I've driven my Newfound Lake and it's very pretty.  I don't like waterfront properties because I'd be concerned with flooding and aren't there more snakes when you live by water?

This may not make any sense but even though I don't like waterfront properties what I mean are lakes , I've always dreamed of living near the ocean.  I love the sounds of the crashing waves and the smell of ocean water and just walking on the beach.  The feelings I get from being near an ocean are worth the chances of hurricanes and anything else.
When I lived in Delmarva the ocean was only 20 minutes away from my house and I loved going to the ocean in the fall and winter because the air is so crisp and refreshing.  To think that the earth is 2/3, (I think), covered with water is so fascinating, just the power and the awe of it is so neat to me. :)

cathleeninnh

I also get confused over the effort to "remove" the view tax. It might be easiest on those assessments where it seems totally subjective, meaning there haven't been sales to support the value assigned to the view.  But even those properties that have turned over recently, and the total value is known, how would you absolutely know how much of that value the buyer was giving to the view so that you could remove it?

If you remove view from one assessment, you have to remove it from all and I just don't see how it can be done. Not until we use something other than market value as a basis for property tax and you know that ain't happenin.

I have been hoping that what would happen would be an investigation into the integrity of the people and the systems in place. Seems that a bunch of crookedness and "system errors" have been going on too long.

Cathleen

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: cathleeninnh on November 02, 2007, 07:28 AM NHFT
If you remove view from one assessment, you have to remove it from all and I just don't see how it can be done. Not until we use something other than market value as a basis for property tax and you know that ain't happenin.

Instead of market value, I've wondered why they don't instead use the purchase price (think of a property tax like a periodic sales tax or somesuch). The market value of my house isn't my responsibility, but usually determined by a myriad of factors outside of my control. And, if I buy a house I intend to live in and never sell, calculating property tax by the house's value would motivate me to try to drive my property value down as much as possible.

Ultimately I think it's all bad, but there are fairer ways it could be done.

Raineyrocks

I also get confused over the effort to "remove" the view tax. It might be easiest on those assessments where it seems totally subjective, meaning there haven't been sales to support the value assigned to the view.  But even those properties that have turned over recently, and the total value is known, how would you absolutely know how much of that value the buyer was giving to the view so that you could remove it?

I have been hoping that what would happen would be an investigation into the integrity of the people and the systems in place. Seems that a bunch of crookedness and "system errors" have been going on too long.

Cathleen

When we refinanced we had to have our house appraised of course.  Is an appraisal similar to an assessment?  If so I could dig up the appraisal report and see what the specifics were, if you want me to.
I agree so much about the crookedness and system errors! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lawofattraction on November 02, 2007, 07:59 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on November 01, 2007, 06:45 PM NHFTI've driven my Newfound Lake and it's very pretty.

Yes it is, and the water quality is excellent, too.

QuoteI don't like waterfront properties because I'd be concerned with flooding and aren't there more snakes when you live by water?

I don't recall ever seeing any snakes at anyone's lake houses I have visited.

QuoteThis may not make any sense but even though I don't like waterfront properties what I mean are lakes , I've always dreamed of living near the ocean.  I love the sounds of the crashing waves and the smell of ocean water and just walking on the beach.  The feelings I get from being near an ocean are worth the chances of hurricanes and anything else.

I love the ocean, too, especially in places where nude sunbathing is allowed. I think the long term value of many oceanfront properties is threatened by rising sea levels, however.

QuoteWhen I lived in Delmarva the ocean was only 20 minutes away from my house and I loved going to the ocean in the fall and winter because the air is so crisp and refreshing.  To think that the earth is 2/3, (I think), covered with water is so fascinating, just the power and the awe of it is so neat to me. :)

I've spent many a summer on the Delmarva coast - it is a lovely place. Back before the United States became a police state there was a nude beach on (the federally owned part of) Assateague Island in Virginia. Nobody bothered the naturists there and they didn't bother anyone else. Naturally the moralists and their law enforcement had to get involved and spoil it for everyone.

That's right I forgot that you were in Delmarva before.  Oh my gosh, I love Assateague Island, aren't the horses beautiful?  We had a horse raid our bag for Doritos one time.  Nude sun bathing is supposed to be so healthy for you too.  I would get scared of the sea gulls though they really come at you if you so much as crinkled a bag. :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lawofattraction on November 02, 2007, 09:40 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on November 02, 2007, 09:09 AM NHFTOh my gosh, I love Assateague Island, aren't the horses beautiful?

They sure are. Come to think of it, I'm surprised they don't try to arrest the wild ponies for running around naked!

;D

Riddler

The best argument against view tax came from a blind man in Whitefield, NH, where this all started.
"What view?"

Raineyrocks

Quote from: babalugatz on November 02, 2007, 09:57 AM NHFT
The best argument against view tax came from a blind man in Whitefield, NH, where this all started.
"What view?"

I asked about blind people and the view tax last year.  Good point! :)

cathleeninnh

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on November 02, 2007, 08:19 AM NHFT

Instead of market value, I've wondered why they don't instead use the purchase price (think of a property tax like a periodic sales tax or somesuch). The market value of my house isn't my responsibility, but usually determined by a myriad of factors outside of my control. And, if I buy a house I intend to live in and never sell, calculating property tax by the house's value would motivate me to try to drive my property value down as much as possible.

Ultimately I think it's all bad, but there are fairer ways it could be done.

It is all unfair. I can understand trying to make it fairer, but purchase price doesn't cut it either. Property tax pays for the town and county expenditures. Fairer is trying to keep the services a family gets in line with what they pay in taxes. I know it is not going to happen, but that is what is fairest. So all user fees would be best. Again, not going to happen. As much as we like protecting longtime residents from rising taxes, it isn't fair to charge the newlyweds moving in far more than the family with 5 kids already in the school system.

Cathleen

Bald Eagle

The issue is, above all, why are we taxed on what we "OWN" to begin with?

The second-tier issue is, why is property tax, which I assume is charged for those indispensable "public" "services" calculated by property VALUE rather than by the amount of property you own?

Get behind the blind guy and push as hard as we can to break the back of the corrupt, thieving establishment.

Invite the tax assessor over for some drinks - methanol.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Bald Eagle on November 02, 2007, 03:27 PM NHFT
The issue is, above all, why are we taxed on what we "OWN" to begin with?

The second-tier issue is, why is property tax, which I assume is charged for those indispensable "public" "services" calculated by property VALUE rather than by the amount of property you own?

Get behind the blind guy and push as hard as we can to break the back of the corrupt, thieving establishment.

Invite the tax assessor over for some drinks - methanol.

Because we really don't own anything to begin with, the govt. just likes to make us feel like we do.  I feel your anger, I really do!

Riddler

Yeah
My sister & bro.-in-law just paid their last mortgage pymt..whoopee.
except they , like the rest of us, continue to pay rent to the town...how-ya-doin

Dan

Quote from: lawofattraction on November 01, 2007, 04:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on November 01, 2007, 04:13 PM NHFT
I think the view tax is stupid.  There are trees, lakes, mountains in a lot of places what's the big deal?

What do you think about the waterfront property tax?

Again, built into the net value of the property, which is what is taxed.  Taxing a 'waterfront attribute' after the fact is doubling the tax on a single attribute.

error

I would just like to remind everyone that "The power to tax is the power to destroy." Therefore, that which is taxed is destroyed. In other words, the taxing of "view" will discourage the existence of "view" until New Hampshire looks like Boston, or they get rid of the tax, whichever comes first.