• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Seatbelt Law

Started by Kat Kanning, January 11, 2005, 03:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Dude

Quote from: Dreepa on April 19, 2006, 03:25 PM NHFT
You said 'Heavy fines'  If you don't pay the fines they throw you in jail.

Well if you don't want to pay the fine. Well not my problem is then. ;D

Pay taxes and fines to keep the roads open. ;D ;D ;D

Happy Dude

Quote from: aries on April 19, 2006, 03:26 PM NHFT
I'm under 18 and I NEVER EVER wear my seatbelt when driving or as a passenger. I just can't stand it. My car is a wild stallion, I ride her windows down and no restraints  ;D

I know it's less safe, but I am also a conscious driver. Yes, something COULD happen but I'm not going to take that precaution.
And for another 2 months, it will be illegal for me to not where it. Every time I've been pulled over I put it on before I stopped.

Do you hang your head out the window like a Irish Setter? ;D ;D

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Happy Dude on April 19, 2006, 03:29 PM NHFT

It is your problem.  You are the one pushing to jail people and take away their homes.  Would you be mad if they came out of jail and stole all of your stuff like you are trying to do to other people's stuff?  I mean, I can understand fines and jail time for killing or raping someone, but for not hurting anyone in anyway, nope. 

You do more harm when you breath than when you drive without a seat belt on.  Are you against something that actually hurts others, like breathing?  Should there be a law against it?

Happy Dude

Quote from: TN-FSP on April 19, 2006, 03:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Happy Dude on April 19, 2006, 03:29 PM NHFT

It is your problem.  You are the one pushing to jail people and take away their homes.  Would you be mad if they came out of jail and stole all of your stuff like you are trying to do to other people's stuff?  I mean, I can understand fines and jail time for killing or raping someone, but for not hurting anyone in anyway, nope. 

You do more harm when you breath than when you drive without a seat belt on.  Are you against something that actually hurts others, like breathing?  Should there be a law against it?

Look Pal I never once said anything about jail. But if you don't do your part and pay your fines then it is your problem. Then go to jail then. My taxes will give you 3 squares a day. ::)

FTL_Ian

Seatbelt laws do nothing more than give cops an excuse to pull people over and harass them, and make more money from giving out tickets.

Happy Dude, does it make you feel good to put seatbelt-fine-nonpayers in jail?

Happy Dude

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 19, 2006, 04:14 PM NHFT
Seatbelt laws do nothing more than give cops an excuse to pull people over and harass them, and make more money from giving out tickets.

It would make me happy if some of you could think

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Happy Dude on April 19, 2006, 04:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 19, 2006, 04:14 PM NHFT

It would make me happy if some of you could think

Right, seat belt laws are designed to make money.  The cops make money off giving the seat belt ticket and it gives them the ability to look for other ways to give tickets.  If a cop is lucky, they may even be able to take the car or more.  It is about money and control, not safety. 

Happy Dude, you seem to care less about safety than the average person and you said about that, when you said you go the speed limit.  Unless, did you not know that it is dangerous to go the speed limit, as opposed to go with the flow of traffic?

tracysaboe

Quote from: Dreepa on April 19, 2006, 02:45 PM NHFT
Quote from: Happy Dude on April 19, 2006, 02:05 PM NHFT
{SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES}
agreed

but making a law doesn't solve anything.  I read that NH has a higher rate of seatbelt usage than VT.  VT has a law and NH doesn't.

Disagree. When people where seatbelts they're more likely to be less carefull in their driving. Places that are required to where seatbelts typically have more and worse accidents, because of the false sense of security the seatbelts give them.

Tracy

Dreepa

Quote from: tracysaboe on April 19, 2006, 07:57 PM NHFT
When people where seatbelts they're more likely to be less carefull in their driving. Places that are required to where seatbelts typically have more and worse accidents, because of the false sense of security the seatbelts give them.
Come on I don't buy that.
You are saying that people are less careful if they were a seatbelt?  Have any stats on that?  I don't believe that.

Pat McCotter

Seatbelts keep me from sliding around in the driver's seat. This lets me concentrate on the vehicle movements.

Lloyd Danforth

I wear seatbelts most of the time for the obvious reasons, but, I hang onto the steering wheel to keep from sliding around.
Pat, yer using too much of the 'Gator' stuff on you upholstery.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: TN-FSP on April 19, 2006, 03:23 PM NHFT
The point is, we all agree that it is better to wear a seat belt most of the time.
I think I am safer without a seatbelt on ..... so I don't wear one.
If I don't pay the fine, what should happen to me?

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: russellkanning on April 19, 2006, 08:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: TN-FSP on April 19, 2006, 03:23 PM NHFT
The point is, we all agree that it is better to wear a seat belt most of the time.
I think I am safer without a seatbelt on ..... so I don't wear one.
If I don't pay the fine, what should happen to me?

There isn't one in NH. 

tracysaboe

Quote from: Dreepa on April 19, 2006, 08:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on April 19, 2006, 07:57 PM NHFT
When people where seatbelts they're more likely to be less carefull in their driving. Places that are required to where seatbelts typically have more and worse accidents, because of the false sense of security the seatbelts give them.
Come on I don't buy that.
You are saying that people are less careful if they were a seatbelt?  Have any stats on that?  I don't believe that.

Insurence companies call it "risk homeostasis" there's a certain risk level that people feel comforable at, and when they feel safer from doing one thing, it's just natural to do something else to balance it.

When people where seatbelts they're more likely to follow closer, driver more agressively, etc.

The 1st time I heard this, it was from Larry Elder's "Showdown" (his 2nd book that wasn't as good as his first.) And he had stats from association of insurence companies and other references.

Also, he mention a place that started requiring helmet's for bicycle riders. Fatalities from bicycle accidents went up 50% in that town when they passed that law.

Since then I've seen this referenced other places as well.

Manditory seatbelt laws increase accidents. They don't decrease them. I say let you and your vehicle insurence company (assuming you have one. In a free market, it's entirely likely that some insurence companies wouldn't require you to where them.) volentarily decide which policy works best for you.

Tracy

Dreepa

If a biker (be it bicycle or motorcycle) has an accident and they are not wearing a helmet... then the hospital shouldn't spend tons of money/time on them. (Unless their insurance co is willing to foot the bill).