• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Seatbelt Law

Started by Kat Kanning, January 11, 2005, 03:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: maineiac on October 13, 2006, 12:52 PM NHFT
After reading only the first page, I am compelled to post that "ovah he-ah," there are some seatbelt statutes on the books, the kind that can only be enforced when you are stopped for something else, although I don't wear belts unless I want to or if I'm with the little lady (easier to hook in than to endure her carping).

Doesn't Maine already have a seatbelt law?

maineiac

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on October 13, 2006, 10:12 PM NHFT
After reading only the first page, I am compelled to post that "ovah he-ah," there are some seatbelt statutes on the books, the kind that can only be enforced when you are stopped for something else, although I don't wear belts unless I want to or if I'm with the little lady (easier to hook in than to endure her carping).

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yes, there is a seatbelt law here. We routinely ignore it.

tracysaboe

Quote from: aries on October 13, 2006, 04:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on April 23, 2006, 01:38 AM NHFT
Perhaps living in a state w/o seatbelt laws will be enough to convince him to come to NH even if that bogus hunting gun law does go through.

Tracy

Just out of curiosity what was this hunting gun law?

I don't rememberright off now, but I think it was something about former convicts not being allowed to own guns or get hunting licenses or something, and her husband had stolen something out of a police car a long time ago and has a record because of it.

TRacy

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: maineiac on October 14, 2006, 09:09 AM NHFT
Quote from: burnthebeautiful on October 13, 2006, 10:12 PM NHFT

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yes, there is a seatbelt law here. We routinely ignore it.

Oh I thought by "on the books" you meant it was currently up for discussion.

traveler

I lived in florida most of my life.Never going back.There is a saying down there 'come here on vacation,leave on probation ,come back in violation.My family lives in florida,and I still wont go there.

KurtDaBear

Quote from: Soundwave on October 15, 2006, 05:00 PM NHFT
The seatbelt ticket in Florida is over 70 dollars.
I believe it's currently $84 in Calif., and they don't have to stop you for something else to enforce it--it's a pretext that they use to get you for other things.

It doesn't really affect me, as I always use mine because of my past experiences in accidents.

On the other hand, I used to work with a guy who was only alive because he didn't use seat belts, so on the basis of his experience, he would never use one, no matter how heavily the do-gooders might fine him.  (He was driving a semi through the PA mountains carrying a load of re-bar, when he lost his brakes.  He came into a town on a curve he couldn't make at the speed he was going, and his truck hit a concrete abutment.  He woke up several minutes later, bleeding heavily from the head and face, as he had been thrown through the windshield onto a hillside.  When he was led away from the scene and noticed his cab was about 6" thick he realized how lucky he had been.)

There's no way to convince a guy like that to wear a seatbelt even if you fined him into bankruptcy, and it should be his right, based on his belief and experience, to make that decision for himself.

lildog

Quote from: Happy Dude on April 19, 2006, 02:05 PM NHFT
Seatbelt laws are great. It helps people stay safe. If you had every worked car wrecks like I did when I was a firefighter/emt. You would get a strong messeage that {SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES}

Ok, my question is to what extent should we force people to remain safe via law?  Sky diving is dangerous so should we have a law against that?  I've seen people get hurt playing football, should that too be outlawed?

And here's one for the children, they would sure be safer if we didn't have sharp corners on tables and such, so should we force everyone to have rubber bumpers installed so our kids can be safe?

Where do you draw the line at forcing others to be safe?

slim

I paid over $80 for a seat belt violation in NY aka "The EMPIRE State"

Pat McCotter

Quote from: lildog on November 13, 2006, 03:21 PM NHFT

When I first got married we bought a glass coffee table and end tables. When we had our first child we got rid of those. Child-proof the house, y'know? That's where the line is drawn. Personal responsibility.

Or was your question rhetorical? :D

Dreepa

Quote from: lildog on November 13, 2006, 03:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: Happy Dude on April 19, 2006, 02:05 PM NHFT
Seatbelt laws are great. It helps people stay safe. If you had every worked car wrecks like I did when I was a firefighter/emt. You would get a strong messeage that {SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES}

Ok, my question is to what extent should we force people to remain safe via law?  Sky diving is dangerous so should we have a law against that?  I've seen people get hurt playing football, should that too be outlawed?

And here's one for the children, they would sure be safer if we didn't have sharp corners on tables and such, so should we force everyone to have rubber bumpers installed so our kids can be safe?

I am working on a bill to ban knives from homes.  People can cut themselves you know.

(yes that includes steak knives)
Your home will be just like an airplane... plastic knives.

KurtDaBear

You can refer Dude to my Reply #171 and Tony the truck driver's PA experience.  I used to be a police reporter, and I've seen the aftermath of some really horrible accidents, but the fact is everyone in the country knows about the benefits of seat belts.  After that it should be up to them, based on personal experience or prejudice, whether or not to use them.  (Survival of the fittest also comes to mind--I feel naked without mine, but that's my decision based on my experience.)

I've always felt the Libertarian slogan should be "Educate, don't legislate."

Since we have compulsory government education, either in their "factory schools" or out-- if you're rich or a home-schooler, we should not need compulsion.

cathleeninnh

Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 13, 2006, 10:47 PM NHFT

I've always felt the Libertarian slogan should be "Educate, don't legislate."

I like "privatize, don't subsidize"

Cathleen

Dreepa

Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 13, 2006, 10:47 PM NHFT
but the fact is everyone in the country knows about the benefits of seat belts. 
Kurt you will like this thread:

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=1016.0

KurtDaBear

Quote from: cathleeninnh on November 14, 2006, 10:19 AM NHFT

I like "privatize, don't subsidize"

Cathleen

That works, too.  All we need is 8 more, and we'll have the 10 Commandments, Libertarian style.  (I guess if it's Libertarian, the 10 Suggestions would be more appropriate.)