New Hampshire Underground

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: Kids doing fun stuff  (Read 27120 times)

Erroneous_Logic

• Independent Thinker
  • That government that governs best, governs least
    • My tumblr
Re: Kids doing fun stuff
« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2017, 11:33 AM NHFT »

Very cool.

KBCraig

• Childish in charge
  • Global Moderator
  • Enemy of the State
  • Spazzing for Freedom
« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2017, 12:43 PM NHFT »

While learning to make Damascus patterns, he should try his hand at Mokume-Gane, too.

Becky Thatcher

• First Mother
  • Insider
  • Radical
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2017, 11:50 PM NHFT »

It's funny, I'd never heard that term until a few weeks ago, now I've heard it a few times.  We've watched a few guys on youtube make it with quarters.  Pretty cool.

KBCraig

• Childish in charge
  • Global Moderator
  • Enemy of the State
  • Spazzing for Freedom
« Reply #513 on: January 25, 2017, 02:15 AM NHFT »

It's funny, I'd never heard that term until a few weeks ago, now I've heard it a few times.  We've watched a few guys on youtube make it with quarters.  Pretty cool.

Welding temps are much lower than with ferrous metals, plus there's the difference in how non-ferrous metals anneal, compared to ferrous.

To anneal ferrous metals, you heat above the first critical temperature and then cool very slowly. To anneal non-ferrous metals like copper, brass, silver, etc., you heat above the critical temperature and then quench in water for rapid cooling.

Tom Sawyer

• Riding out the days events.
  • Insider
  • Enemy of the State
  • Talley Ho!
    • politicalGRAFFITI.com
« Reply #514 on: January 25, 2017, 10:32 AM NHFT »

Welding temps are much lower than with ferrous metals, plus there's the difference in how non-ferrous metals anneal, compared to ferrous.

To anneal ferrous metals, you heat above the first critical temperature and then cool very slowly. To anneal non-ferrous metals like copper, brass, silver, etc., you heat above the critical temperature and then quench in water for rapid cooling.

We were watching video and I thought the kid was annealing wrong... It appears he was right and I was wrong.  :D

Alchemy I tells ya!

KBCraig

• Childish in charge
  • Global Moderator
  • Enemy of the State
  • Spazzing for Freedom
« Reply #515 on: January 28, 2017, 03:04 PM NHFT »

We were watching video and I thought the kid was annealing wrong... It appears he was right and I was wrong.  :D

Alchemy I tells ya!

People who reload rifle brass know to anneal the necks after every 2-3 loads. Just set the brass on a board over a bucket of water, use a torch to heat the neck, then dump it in the water.

Russell Kanning

• Administrator
  • Enemy of the State
  • The Nonviolent Revolution starts here
    • russellkanning.com blog
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2017, 05:25 PM NHFT »

when I heard "lawn mower" I pictured "turbo"

Tom Sawyer

• Insider
  • Enemy of the State
  • Talley Ho!
    • politicalGRAFFITI.com
« Reply #517 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21 AM NHFT »

Becky got a shot of the first firing of the forge.

Johnson Industries came through for the project again with a blower, I'm guessing came out of an old truck.

Free libertarian

• Just Rubbing Edges With The Grid
  • Revolutionary
« Reply #518 on: January 30, 2017, 02:58 PM NHFT »

While learning to make Damascus patterns, he should try his hand at Mokume-Gane, too.

Mokume-Gane??

For a minute you took me back to a memory of  me with a mouthful of peanut butter sandwich sticking to my upper palate saying,
"(s)moke 'em (a)gain" while I was gesticulating feverishly to Lloyd to hurry up and finish rolling the second joint. 

KBCraig

• Childish in charge
  • Global Moderator
  • Enemy of the State
  • Spazzing for Freedom
« Reply #519 on: January 31, 2017, 02:02 AM NHFT »

Johnson Industries came through for the project again with a blower, I'm guessing came out of an old truck.

I've used everything from 12V blowers to furnace blowers to hair dryers to the outlet of vacuum cleaners. And then I did finally acquire a proper hand-cranked blower, but sold it when we moved here. The first forge I ever made (when I was 11) was a hole in the ground with the inflatable raft foot pump as a bellows.

While you can buy nut-sized coal for home heating, it doesn't have the specs you want for blacksmithing. It wouldn't hurt for him to learn to make his own charcoal, either (the main difference in the two fuels is that coal will go out without an air supply, but charcoal keeps burning).

You'll hate me for this, but....

http://www.centaurforge.com/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:07 AM NHFT by KBCraig »

Tom Sawyer

• Insider
  • Enemy of the State
  • Talley Ho!
    • politicalGRAFFITI.com
« Reply #520 on: January 31, 2017, 05:05 AM NHFT »

I've used everything from 12V blowers to furnace blowers to hair dryers to the outlet of vacuum cleaners. And then I did finally acquire a proper hand-cranked blower, but sold it when we moved here. The first forge I ever made (when I was 11) was a hole in the ground with the inflatable raft foot pump as a bellows.

While you can buy nut-sized coal for home heating, it doesn't have the specs you want for blacksmithing. It wouldn't hurt for him to learn to make his own charcoal, either (the main difference in the two fuels is that coal will go out without an air supply, but charcoal keeps burning).

You'll hate me for this, but....

http://www.centaurforge.com/

Yeah, we are going to seek out some different coal. We had a bucket left from the furnace project that one of the Free Stater families gave us. Lauren made charcoal, and William and I are talking about that as well.

Cool that you had blacksmithing as a hobby. That looks like a good website, but so far we are getting by on the cheap. Everything except the pipe and fittings has been free. We saw a simple forge setup they wanted 1200 bucks for.

Kind of fun to figure some of these things out by just trying it. Instead.of "painting but numbers" and following someone else's plan.

It's good just to see him trying something new. With each of these things, I notice a change, a step forward in him becoming a man. It is something in the set of his shoulders, his confidence. Ever since he was just a little guy pretending to be a man, copying my mannerisms (heaven help him).

Just trying to help counter balance the computer gaming/virtual world that most kids only have theses days.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:11 AM NHFT by Tom Sawyer »

Russell Kanning

• Administrator
  • Enemy of the State
  • The Nonviolent Revolution starts here
    • russellkanning.com blog
« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2017, 10:19 AM NHFT »

just good to see the kid has hope despite his role model hahahahah

that thing looks cool .... not too short for tall people

Tom Sawyer

• Insider
  • Enemy of the State
  • Talley Ho!
    • politicalGRAFFITI.com
« Reply #522 on: February 15, 2017, 05:56 PM NHFT »

Jim Johnson

• Jiminator
  • Enemy of the State
  • Bold and Spicy!
« Reply #523 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28 PM NHFT »

:glasses1: 
That size coal makes a much better fire.

Tom Sawyer

• Insider
  • Enemy of the State
  • Talley Ho!
    • politicalGRAFFITI.com
« Reply #524 on: February 15, 2017, 10:16 PM NHFT »

:glasses1: 
That size coal makes a much better fire.

We had to import it from Winchestershire!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 47   Go Up