• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kids doing fun stuff

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 09, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Kat Kanning

That was awesome!  Alex Jones was talking about how kids used to have responsibility early and be mostly grown up at 13. I sent a link to him.  Mind if I link to it on LSF showing the benefits of unschooling?

Kat Kanning

Does William write the script for those?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on December 05, 2012, 01:17 PM NHFT
;D

That's great. I sent it to John David. He doesn't get an ATV or a splitter, though. He gets a splitting maul and a wagon.  ;)

Can't be soft on the boy... I'm sure he could knap an axehead from obsidian and carry the logs out of the woods.   ;D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 05, 2012, 02:45 PM NHFT
Does William write the script for those?

He is learning the process and came up with some of the narration... a collaborative effort. He shot and edited some of it. We created the music with Garageband.

He has potential as an editor... his memory of the footage is excellent... he even is starting to catch me when I make a mistake using the editing software Final Cut Pro. Funny, they are growing up in a world where the graphic user interface is just something they except... old farts, like me, have to relate it to the hardware I used to operate.  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 06, 2012, 07:10 AM NHFT
Funny, they are growing up in a world where the graphic user interface is just something they except... old farts, like me, have to relate it to the hardware I used to operate.  ;D

Ahh... the days of linear tape editing!

Becky Thatcher

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 05, 2012, 02:38 PM NHFT
Mind if I link to it on LSF showing the benefits of unschooling?

Not at all... minus SSN/date of birthday/home telephone number  ;D ;D ;D

MaineShark

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 06, 2012, 07:10 AM NHFTFunny, they are growing up in a world where the graphic user interface is just something they except...

The term, I'm told, is "digital natives."  Ours were happily operating the computer at three or four years old.  Now, the six-year-old is getting a tablet from relatives for his birthday.  I don't even have a tablet...

KBCraig

Tom, how do you like that electric splitter?

Tom Sawyer

It works pretty well. Sometimes really big and knotty logs are too much for it... the cycle time is slower than a gas one. On the plus side, quieter, not breathing stinky exhaust and gas fumes, zero maintenance, less expensive.

Russell Kanning

Cool video
My dad had someone come to their farm and split all the rest of the wood we cut for just 50 bucks it will be two years worth. Things are cheap in Kansas.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 09, 2012, 12:36 PM NHFT
It works pretty well. Sometimes really big and knotty logs are too much for it... the cycle time is slower than a gas one. On the plus side, quieter, not breathing stinky exhaust and gas fumes, zero maintenance, less expensive.

Is it screw drive? I remember DR selling one that looked something like that, but they don't have one like that now.

KBCraig

Here's a splitter that is entertaining, in a waiting-to-see-someone-maimed sort of way:

http://www.thestickler.com

In action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La5hqhUaj_g

Yes, it's exactly what it looks like: a big-ass screw that bolts to your truck hub in place of a wheel. A tractor PTO version used to be available too.

I'm amazed they're still selling it. I first saw it demonstrated at the county fair in the late '70s, when I was in high school. Scared the hell out of me then, and still does.

KBCraig

Here you go: this "axe on a flywheel" looks like a Stooges Construction project just waiting to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on December 10, 2012, 04:23 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 09, 2012, 12:36 PM NHFT

Is it screw drive? I remember DR selling one that looked something like that, but they don't have one like that now.

Electric/Hydraulic it is a DR. Here is a link to the current version.