• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kids doing fun stuff

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 09, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Well the boy young man William has achieved (yet another) milestone.
I'm posting this message from the computer he built.

He researched all the components, purchased them with money he earned (thanks to Lauren for the Bitcoin conversion to facilitate some of the purchases).

Installed/assembled the components. Dealt with a few minor issues that had to be researched and troubleshot.

The daunting task of figuring out how to get the OS downloaded on my Mac and burn a boot Flash drive. Only to have to troubleshoot many unknowns and between our two heads we finally realized the biggest issue was a graphics card driver issue.

Re-install an earlier, more trustworthy version of the OS, and entirely on his own he ventured into the unknown of going into the guts of the OS via terminal and manually installed a driver that works.

So William is now well on his path to understanding Ubuntu (Linux).

Very proud of his perseverance. Good man William!

Erroneous_Logic

And then, apparently, you took possession of all his hard work for your own purposes! A fine method of demonstrating to him how the state works! :P

Tom Sawyer

;D  :blush: >:(

Dang... I'll come back after I recover from the direct hit.

Tom Sawyer

As the father of the former President of the New Hampshire Underground...

I'm just lucky he gives me the gig of being his driver, security, PR man.   ;D

Pat K

Russell Kanning

yea and all that knowledge of linux stuff will be useful
soon he can rag on his old man for joining that Apple cult hahhahahha

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 13, 2016, 07:58 AM NHFT
yea and all that knowledge of linux stuff will be useful
soon he can rag on his old man for joining that Apple cult hahhahahha

Yeah, when he came to me and said he wanted to build a computer, we had been considering going in together on a new iMac for him, it was almost like "Son why are you leaving the faith"  ;D

We decided that Windows was definitely out, I told him I didn't want to have to become the Microsoft security expert. That OS scares the crap out of me. But, when he proposed Linux I thought that would be a good learning experience for him and it's basically the core of the Mac OS, and I wasn't afraid of the security aspect.

He is already learning things I don't know. He will be my go to tech guy soon enough.  8)

It was great to see the pride on his face when we overcame the considerable hurdles.

Russell Kanning

and the possibilities are endless with open source stuff. You can go in any direction and you don't hit as many artificial walls ... and if you do ... there are all these people trying to climb them tunnel under are knock them down. :)
He will start growing a beard and start talking like the Seth lord or our other buddies :)

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

Auburn Maine looks good this time of year.

you can also have the drone go check if the PoPo is waiting around the corner

jerryswife

Tom Sawyer

Blue Chrome - Music in progress
https://youtu.be/_Vck5BT6OhE

William's latest riffs.

jerryswife

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: jerryswife on December 01, 2016, 01:40 PM NHFT
What long fingers he has!

My buddy the bass player would kill to have long fingers.  ;D

Tom Sawyer

Over the hills and far away...
https://youtu.be/NVXrxl6yYgU

Snow hangs in the evergreens and covers the landscape for the start of winter. Low fog and high clouds with beams of sunlight breaking through.

Phantom 3 drone flight footage