• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kids doing fun stuff

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 09, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Erroneous_Logic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on December 06, 2016, 10:52 AM NHFT
Ugh, that's too pretty

It is beautiful, isn't it?

In spite of the difficulties provided by living on the mountain, sometimes I have to realize how fortunate we are.

Erroneous_Logic

I'm so keyed into plants and trees I even notice the naked ones that would have leaves in the spring. I crave leafy trees so much. And seasons, god, I want seasons.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on December 06, 2016, 06:10 PM NHFT
I'm so keyed into plants and trees I even notice the naked ones that would have leaves in the spring. I crave leafy trees so much. And seasons, god, I want seasons.

This place goes through significant changes going from the browns, grays and whites of winter to the electric shades of bright green in the spring.

Erroneous_Logic

Don't even start with the colors. You know that you have those autumn colors going on. I've seen pictures. There's too many colors. You guys are hoarding them. Hoarding all the colors. Keeping them from the people. Capitalism! Price gouging! There ought to be a law!

Russell Kanning

possibly no bigger changes than in the NE

Erroneous_Logic

mmhmm. As far as I can tell, everything up there is perfectly arranged to provide maximum accentuation to the change in seasons. It's lovely.

Russell Kanning

NH gets most weather except tornadoes and extended dry

Erroneous_Logic

I've looked into it, and as far as I can tell, whenever the hurricanes come around, they focus on new york, and hardly ever do more than just give you a light peck on the cheek.

KBCraig

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 08, 2016, 03:13 PM NHFT
NH gets most weather except tornadoes and extended dry

You're right, no big tornadoes, but the odd mini twister happens now and then.   

I witnessed one form, literally right in front of me when I was a kid and then knock the neighbors metal shed to pieces.   No wicked witches, munchkins or flying monkeys though, much to my disappointment.

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

William and I have been fabricating a forge so he can try some blacksmithing.

We used the deck from an old lawn mower and other scraps we had laying around.

Thanks to Jim for the brake drum.

Free libertarian

I don't know much about a forge, but is that concrete / cement in the upturned mower some kind of heat sink? 

What will you make from the fires of the forge?   

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on January 23, 2017, 06:43 AM NHFT
I don't know much about a forge, but is that concrete / cement in the upturned mower some kind of heat sink? 

What will you make from the fires of the forge?   

Yes it's concrete, to make a flat surface for the coal to sit on around the fire pot. You rake the coal into the fire pot as needed. The thick steel of the brake drum should take the heat. Concrete wouldn't stand up to the heat of direct contact. The concrete is only touching the fire pot along the outer edge of the brake drum.

William worked on a railroad spike from the fire in the aluminum furnace we made, But it was a small hot spot and he couldn't heat up very much of the steel at one time. He made a small blade shaped thing.

Not sure what we will make. a knife probably. It's just cool to be able to get the metal glowing hot and shape it... with lots of sparks and such.

The coolest looking stuff is the pattern welded or as many call it the damascus steel.