• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kids doing fun stuff

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 09, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

How long does the metal stay malleable before you have to reheat it ?   Is that a blade that is being formed?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on February 16, 2017, 05:54 AM NHFT

How long does the metal stay malleable before you have to reheat it ?   Is that a blade that is being formed?

It depends on how much mass is hot and how the heat gets wicked away by the anvil, hammer etc. About two minutes it's lost the bright color. But, even when it is dark red you can move it. It just gets stiffer. The difficult part is to not over heat the thinner edge because it will actually burn like a sparkler.

Yes, he is trying to shape a knife. Mostly he is just learning the techniques. I am trying to not give too much input and allow him to make mistakes and figure it out.

We are making the progress of building the tooling and having fun along the way. It's still pretty neat just making steel move. We poked a clear glass bottle into the center of the super hot coals as a viewing port... Super bright heat, then the bottle melted away.  Lol

Tom Sawyer

Free libertarian

Looks like William's forging ahead with his skills.  (that's some blacksmith humor right there)

KBCraig

Making tongs is one of the hardest starting steps, but it's important!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on February 18, 2017, 06:36 PM NHFT
Making tongs is one of the hardest starting steps, but it's important!

Important, dang right... he's become attached to them there digits.

He's taking it slow and trying to match each side. He's going to make V - Tongs that will hold a railroad spike. Not sure if he will put a rivet in or just a bolt for now. He's going to draw out the handles/reins some more.

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

William made a logo and branding iron.

Free libertarian

That dadgum branding iron is pretty cool.  A real cattle rustler deterrent. 

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

His welding is getting better all the time.

Made a riser to elevate one of the cameras for the shoot in Berkley in May.

Russell Kanning

so you think you're taller than me?
alright string bean
It' GO time

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 08, 2017, 09:06 AM NHFT
so you think you're taller than me?
alright string bean
It' GO time

It's weird looking at him eye to eye.

I have stopped challenging him... somebody (me) might get hurt.  ;D

Russell Kanning