• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Damn, I do love my Seagram's

Started by mike82934, November 10, 2007, 08:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mike82934

It's an astounding drink.  ;D Never mind that you can make pretty much anything palatable by mixing it with cheap cola and lighting up a smoke.
I do like my Glenfiddich as well, but I can get about ten gallons of this rotgut for the same price as one bottle of top-shelf scotch.
What kind of whiskey do you prefer?

KBCraig

The Macallan is my favorite (neat, with a tall glass of ice water on the side for sipping). Too pricey except as an occasional treat, though. As a substitute I buy 1.75L bottles of Famous Grouse, a blend that includes The Macallan and other Speysides. You can taste the sherry casks in it.

Lloyd Danforth

I prefer scotch, but, I haven't remembered to buy any and the guy who owns the Jack here is generous.  This lawyer guy, Thurston is gonna cause me to end up in Betty Ford

Rocketman

Maker's Mark... pretty much exclusively, now that I rarely touch the hard stuff.

mike82934

I haven't tried the Macallan, what sort of body does it have?
I'm really picky about whiskey because a lot of the ones people have suggested to me in the past have ended up tasting like garbage (the only memorable exception being one called Black & White that an airport bartender recommended). I like the earthy taste of Glenfiddich; that oaky, but almost mossy note that you get when you first sip it. A Scottish gal once told me to try Glenmorganie, but I haven't got around to it yet.
I like Maker's Mark as well, it's actually really great if you use it as a marinade for steaks.

Tom Sawyer

Drinkin' Jim Beam with sprite and twist of lemon. Good stuff.

KBCraig

The Macallan (12yo) is aged in Jerez sherry casks, so the aroma and body are very wine-like. I haven't found that water or ice improves the taste, so I sip it neat, at room temperature.

The flavor is full, too complex for me to describe, but nothing objectionable. Not as oaken as Aberlour. Strong hint of vanilla. Very strong finish, with a loooong, very pleasant, aftertaste. You know you've had a good sip of whisky, flavorful, satisfying, calming.

Since it is a Speyside like Glennfiddich, you won't find it shockingly different. Not like the "mouthful of peat soaked in licorice" Islays, or the "Who watered down my whisky?" Lowlands.

It runs about $37.99 a bottle here.

Kat Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 12, 2007, 04:20 AM NHFT
Are you in a wet or dry county, KB?

It's dry. Like a martini.  ;)

Well, sorta dry. No package sales, but restaurants can serve by the drink, without being private clubs. And the state line runs through the middle of town, and the Arkansas side is wet.

Raineyrocks

When I'm feeling up to it I love Jagermeister.

Beth221

Glen Levitt neat in the winter, and Bombay Sapphire in my tom collins in the summer! 

But, my newest drink is called "little girl with crotchless panties"
its a Shirley temple with vodka!  Delish, and girly! 

Puke

I'm not a big fan of whiskey.
I like Vodka, neat.
Level is my favorite brand.  :)

Beth221

i use to love grey goose until i got a hold of svedka, and it kicks the gooses ass!  not to mention, its easy on the pocket!

mike82934

Thanks for the info, KB...I might give it a try.
Not a huge fan of vodka, I only take it in mixed drinks. But Jagermeister, straight out of the bottle at room temperature, was my vice of choice back in my underage drinking days. But I'm slightly less crazy now, so 80% of the time it's just a few bottles of Coors or Corona Light. 

Pat K