• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester votes for mandatory auto insurance

Started by KBCraig, November 11, 2007, 12:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

sandm000

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Pat McCotter on November 11, 2007, 01:56 PM NHFT
"Manchester referendum organizer Ed Osborne -- who says he has been hit by uninsured drivers six times over the past 25 to 30 years -- said it's time for the Legislature to act."

So, Ed Osborne must...

That is what I was thinking.  He must be a terrible driver.  It would do the citizens in Manchester more good if he was not allowed to drive.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: shyfrog on November 11, 2007, 08:04 PM NHFT
Why don't we ask the *cough* 83% to move to Mandatory, Mass where they can live out their dreams of mandatory mass hysteria?

I know...there is no place-name "Mandatory" in MA.  :-\

I wonder how many of these 83% recently moved here from Massachusetts...

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Taxinator on November 11, 2007, 08:40 PM NHFT
Can you believe that more people voted to force their neighbors to buy insurance than voted against placing a federal halfway house in the city?  That, to me, is unbelievable!  The only possible explanation is that a HUGE percentage of voters are government employees, the type of scum that benefits from government largesse.

I think all those scary auto-insurance billboards around town with the misleading statistics played a large part in getting ordinary people to support this.

By the way, did you see the big Harvard Pilgrim Heath Care sign on Elm St. on Saturday when we were on our way up to Concord? That's one of the, if not the, biggest HMOs in Massachusetts. I'm guessing that was the beginning of them trying to push Massachusetts-style health care up here, too.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on November 12, 2007, 10:34 AM NHFT
Can you believe that more people voted to force their neighbors to buy insurance than voted against placing a federal halfway house in the city?  That, to me, is unbelievable!  The only possible explanation is that a HUGE percentage of voters are government employees, the type of scum that benefits from government largesse.

I think all those scary auto-insurance billboards around town with the misleading statistics played a large part in getting ordinary people to support this.

By the way, did you see the big Harvard Pilgrim Heath Care sign on Elm St. on Saturday when we were on our way up to Concord? That's one of the, if not the, biggest HMOs in Massachusetts. I'm guessing that was the beginning of them trying to push Massachusetts-style health care up here, too.

There were a number of companies already using HPHC here before the Mass law.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Pat McCotter on November 12, 2007, 01:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on November 12, 2007, 10:34 AM NHFT

There were a number of companies already using HPHC here before the Mass law.

Oh, I know the company's already up here—selling its insurance on the market. What I was talking about is it looks like they're starting up some sort of big advertising campaign right now, and the timing is extremely suspicious: If we suddenly have polits calling for mandatory health insurance, they'll no doubt be one of the companies behind it.

Gard

Can we get a non-binding ref to replace Ed Osborne with Ozzy Osbourne?

Just a thought. The we could force everyone to get Black Sabbath insurance!

Spencer

Why don't we just get together and kick in to buy Mr. Osborne a car service?  Everyone -- even the uninsured -- would be better off.

CA_Libertarian

Quote"I think our logic in the past (has been) we don't want to create a low-income class of people who are criminals (for) just trying to get to work with their uninsured autos," Reardon said.

This is the best reason to not pass this IMO.

When I was young my parents had a very tough time financially.  At one point they couldn't afford insurance, so they drove without it.  Well, apparently here in CA insurance companies are encouraged (maybe required) to report to the DMV when someone's insurance lapses.  So, my parents got pulled over and the state took the car and gave my dad a ticket.  Of course my parents couldn't afford the impound fees, so they never got the car back.  My dad, a mechanic at the time, had to walk about 3 miles to work every day until he had paid for the ticket and could afford another car.

Laws like this make life much harder on the poor.  I hope the legislators continue to do the right thing.

Ogre

Quotehttp://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2142

Hahahahahahah!

I'm sorry, I can't help myself.  That's a good one!   LOL!

LiveFree

Hilarious, yes, but I fail to see the connection, unless you think they're all dumb enough to attempt driving while tanked??? :icon_pirat:

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Spencer on November 13, 2007, 12:12 AM NHFT
Why don't we just get together and kick in to buy Mr. Osborne a car service?  Everyone -- even the uninsured -- would be better off.
I agree. How many times has that guy been in accidents?
I have only been in a car 3 times when cars collided.

KBCraig

What did they say the uninsured rate was? Less than 9%? If he's been hit by uninsured drivers 6 times in 30 years, he must have been in an accident every six months (including insured drivers).

To quote Tim Wilson, "Been married nine times? Hell, maybe it's you!"

Rochelle

QuoteCan we get a non-binding ref to replace Ed Osborne with Ozzy Osbourne?

Just a thought. The we could force everyone to get Black Sabbath insurance!
I second this motion. Perhaps we should start petitioning.

LiveFree

Maybe we can get Ozzy to come piss on the Statehouse steps??? :icon_pirat: