• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need a recommended bank / Credit Union

Started by Dan, November 11, 2007, 02:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I've tried various search strings on FSP and NHFree's forums, but can't find this answered anywhere.

My bank was eaten up by Ing.  It was netbank, which was a fantastic e-bank and for years #1 rated on bankrate.com.

All checking and direct deposits will end on the 27th.  I'm moving to the outer shire, and I am addicted to bill-pay.  I don't write checks anymore.  :)

The top e-bank on bankrate.com for the Concord area is Everbank?  Anyone have use or know of a private or semi private Credit Union I should look into?  My requirements are basic:  Free checkwriting bill pay, low minimum balance.

lawyerup

Credit Unions have become much more bank-llike (downright nasty).  Try TDBankNorth you'll like them over any other bank in the area.  Downtown at Corner of Capital and Main and in most towns you would travel to and from.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: lawyerup on November 11, 2007, 02:10 PM NHFT
Credit Unions have become much more bank-llike (downright nasty).  Try TDBankNorth you'll like them over any other bank in the area.  Downtown at Corner of Capital and Main and in most towns you would travel to and from.

A quick correction. TDBanknorth is actually at the corner of Centre and N. Main. Capitol is two blocks south of Centre.

Dan

According to Bankrate.com:  TD BankNorth:
http://bankrate.com/brm/rate/bank_chkratehome.asp?params=NH,1049&sort=11&product=31&online_flag=

Apy: .1
Open$ 25.00
Min Balance: $1000
Monthly fee: 10
NSF fee: 25
Another banks ATM: 1.75
ATM surcharge: 1.5

Er, my last two banks had big zeros in every one of the above fees.

mackler

I don't know about banks, but I've been using Paytrust to avoid having to write checks.  I also means I don't have to give out my mailing address since they gave me an address in South Dakota that all my bills go to.  Seems to work pretty well.

http://paytrust.com/

Dan

Correction:   All checking accounts without overdraft protection ( except the FED  >:D ) have NSF fees.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Dan on November 11, 2007, 04:50 PM NHFT
According to Bankrate.com:  TD BankNorth:
http://bankrate.com/brm/rate/bank_chkratehome.asp?params=NH,1049&sort=11&product=31&online_flag=

Apy: .1
Open$ 25.00
Min Balance: $1000
Monthly fee: 10
NSF fee: 25
Another banks ATM: 1.75
ATM surcharge: 1.5

Er, my last two banks had big zeros in every one of the above fees.

You mighty want to go straight to the source instead of bankrate:

http://www.tdbanknorth.com/personal/checking.html

SimplyFree® Checking – Starts Free. Stays Free.
No direct deposit requirement
No monthly maintenance fee
No minimum balance requirement
FREE Online Banking with FREE eBillPay
Free TD Banknorth Visa® Debit Card
Free access to over 700 TD Banknorth ATMs(1)
Free access to over 2,500 TD Canada Trust ATMs across Canada(2)
50% off initial check order (restrictions may apply)
Unlimited check writing privileges
$25 minimum initial deposit to open an account
No wonder SimplyFree is our most popular checking account.

Free SimplyMoreSM Checking with Direct Deposit
SimplyMore Checking with direct deposit is free checking, only better.
No monthly maintenance fee or minimum balance requirement with direct deposit (see rates and fees page for details)
Free TD Banknorth Visa Debit Card
Four free non-TD Banknorth ATM transactions per month(3)
Unlimited check writing
Free consultation with Bancnorth Investment Group, Inc. and free insurance review with TD Banknorth Insurance Agency
$25 minimum initial deposit to open an account (direct deposit required)

SimplyPreferredSM Checking
Enjoy exclusive privileges, preferred rates and special discounts.
Preferred Rates

SimplyPreferredSM CD rates
Select Benefits
No monthly maintenance fee when you meet minimum combined daily balance requirements (see rates and fees page for details)
Free non-TD Banknorth ATM transactions(3)
Free standard checks or 50% off other styles, including reorders (restrictions apply)
Free regular traveler's checks
25% off a new safe deposit box rental (where available)
Free consultation with Bancnorth Investment Group, Inc. and free insurance review with TD Banknorth Insurance Agency
$250 minimum initial deposit to open an account

Student Checking
Everything in life doesn't have to be as complicated as Statistics class. That's especially true when it comes to your checking account. Our Student Checking is the account that's truly free. That means no monthly service fees, minimum balance requirements, or transaction fees - ever. It's the no-hassle way to manage your money.
You can open a Student Checking account with as little as $25, and enjoy:

Four free non-TD Banknorth ATM transactions per statement cycle(3)

Interest Checking
Earn a competitive interest rate on your account balance and enjoy the convenience of unlimited check writing with our Interest Checking account.
No monthly maintenance fee when you meet minimum combined daily balance requirements (see rates and fees page for details)
$25 minimum initial deposit to open an account

1. Fees for special services may apply.
2. Visa's Debit Card International Assessment Fee still applies.
3. Number of free non-TD Banknorth ATM transactions is based on location. For non-TD Banknorth ATM transactions, the institution that owns the terminal (or the network) may also assess a fee (surcharge) at the time of your transaction, including balance inquiries.

Dan

And yet they have these fees:
Check Cashing (Non-Customer)             $10.00
Visa® Debit Card International Assessment Fee Exchange Rate plus 1%
ATM Mini-Statement                                $1.00
Non-TD Banknorth ATM Transaction Fee  $1.75
ATM POS Fee                                           $0.35
Statement Copy                                      $7.00

I hope the first one means cashing a check not made out to you.

The mini-statement, otherwise known as a balance check, is just free money for them.

The non-TD transaction fee is steep.  I've seen some back refund other banks ATM fees...

Dan

Than again... being a 1099 contractor without fast check cashing will be annoying.

Previously it took me ten+ days to cash a check.  Luckily I only did it three times in 9 years.

Dan

HRm....
EverBank also has precious metal accounts and foreign currency CD's.

I can move a portion of my soon-to-be-vanquished 401k to PM's with monthly account statements listing the serial numbers.

Dan

Do they have a checking account?  They aren't rolling in netbank's checking accounts: they are putting them in check/withdrawel/deposit free savings accounts.

alohamonkey

I'm a big advocate of Sovereign Bank.  I don't know if there are any in the Concord area . . . I'm assuming there are.  Their online billpay is awesome.  I also have monthly transfers from my sovereign checking to an online high-yield savings account and those are easy and free. 

MaineShark

If you need business banking, Centrix has been excellent to me.  I think they may be diversifying into personal banking, but I'm not certain.  I know that you can open a personal account there, if you have a business account.

There are fees, if you don't maintain a certain balance ($750, I think) in the business account, but it's like $7.50 per month.  And they pay interest on the checking account...

Joe

Beth221

J’raxis 270145