• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Dinner West

Started by TackleTheWorld, November 11, 2007, 07:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I was thinking about 23 showed up .... what do you say?

Russell Kanning

great pictures guys ... I had fun ... just ate too much food ... what a surprise. ;)

FTL_Ian

Video from the event:
[youtube=425,350]XSC6T3s9k1M[/youtube]

http://freekeene.com/2007/11/23/thanksgiving-day-west-2007/

Tom Sawyer

Cool thanks for posting video.  :)

You should experiment with your camera to figure out how much time the backspace editor clips off the end of each shot. I would guess around 2 seconds. Just hold the shot for an additional 2 seconds to compensate.

Russell Kanning

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 23, 2007, 09:38 AM NHFT
Cool thanks for posting video.  :)

You should experiment with your camera to figure out how much time the backspace editor clips off the end of each shot. I would guess around 2 seconds. Just hold the shot for an additional 2 seconds to compensate.

While this video was shot in Dave Ridley style, I did put some time into editing it.  Therefore, most of those scenes were trimmed.  Did you feel it should be a little more meandering? 

Tom Sawyer

Not to be critical... just some of the shots were a little tight on the tail end. I assumed the camera had clipped the end. One of the challenges to shoot editing in the camera is if you shoot it tight timing wise, it means you don't have any head or tail to play with in editing. It also means that there is not any natural sound, because of the narration, to use if you want to edit into some other form at a later date. It means that you can't do both a edit in the camera and have documentary footage for later use, it is a compromise. But worth it to have instant coverage.  :)

I liked the closeup of William's feet and then the wideshot.  :) And the widescreen format is nice. Nicely done.  :)

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 23, 2007, 10:02 AM NHFT
Not to be critical... just some of the shots were a little tight on the tail end. I assumed the camera had clipped the end. One of the challenges to shoot editing in the camera is if you shoot it tight timing wise, it means you don't have any head or tail to play with in editing. It also means that there is not any natural sound, because of the narration, to use if you want to edit into some other form at a later date. It means that you can't do both a edit in the camera and have documentary footage for later use, it is a compromise. But worth it to have instant coverage.  :)

I liked the closeup of William's feet and then the wideshot.  :) And the widescreen format is nice. Nicely done.  :)

Thank you for the compliments and suggestions.  Why don't you shoot in anamorphic?

Here a couple of examples of the compromises I made during editing:

Two tight shots are the first Lauren segment and the shot of Rocco.  Lauren had to be clipped there because she went on to say the utopia line and I wanted that at the very end.  In the scene with the dog, the full phrase was "Rocco, right?"  I cut it short because I didn't want to sound uninformed and you couldn't hear the answer anyway.

TackleTheWorld

I like your choice of subjects, Ian.
Not just tacking heads, but food and dog and dancing. 
Thanks for the quick posting of the video.

FTL_Ian

Thanks!

I probably should've gotten some footage of people playing "Taboo", but I didn't think of it at all and Julia didn't think of it until later.  Besides, the video was not my primary reason for being there so I wasn't really focusing too hard on the content.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on November 23, 2007, 10:40 AM NHFT
Not just tacking heads, but food and dog and dancing.  .

I hate video of tacking heads, too.  Too much blood.  :o

Tom Sawyer

Tacking heads... kind of hard to get people to sit still for that.

Now Talking Heads... I keep thinking of

Life During Wartime
[youtube=425,350]xzORu1dqEE0[/youtube]

Kat Kanning

That guy looks like a skinny Jason.

FTL_Ian

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 23, 2007, 08:41 AM NHFT
I was thinking about 23 showed up .... what do you say?

Yep, I counted 23 people total also.