• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Politics is an immoral dead-end

Started by Vitruvian, November 12, 2007, 10:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

shyfrog

I have changed the title of this thread now...

MaineShark

Quote from: Nick Danger on December 01, 2007, 01:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: Nick Danger on December 01, 2007, 11:56 AM NHFTLet's try again. A rock is an entity. Does a rock have "a right to exist"?
Is a rock made up of folks who have rights?
OK, now we have it: your idea is that if the members of a collective entity X have property P, then X has property P.

That is plainly false. The set of all even numbers is composed entirely of even numbers. But it itself is not an even number. The Green Bay Packers is composed of football players, but the Green Bay Packers is not a football player. If it turned out the Republican Party was all white males, that would not make the Republican Party a white male.[/quote]

I think you should ask for the $10 back for that "degree."  Oh, sorry, you had two, so demand $20 back...

Quote from: Nick Danger on December 01, 2007, 01:20 PM NHFTSo the fact that the people making up a state have rights says nothing BY ITSELF about whether the state has rights. It may or it may not, but your argument is an example of the well know "fallacy of composition."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

Unfortunately for your notion, rights are not the same as physical resistance to hammer blows...

Let's turn it around.  According to your notion, each individual's rights exist as a discrete set, and do not imply any rights for the society.  So, if your witness a murder, you have no right to do anything to stop it, because your rights are not being interfered-with.

As long as the murderer is random in his attacks, not giving his victims time to react, he could wipe out all of humanity, because no individual would have any right to stop him.  After all, until he kills you, you cannot prove that he might not spare you, and clearly you cannot stop him, because there is no link between your rights and anyone else's... ::)

Joe

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: shyfrog on December 01, 2007, 01:27 PM NHFT

I'd like to see a board for philosophical debate... so I could ignore it.  ;D

Or maybe just move this one to Endless Whining and Debate.  ::)

Too bad the the recent posts doesn't allow me to ignore threads. The stuff I might be interested in is buried under the "product" of this thread.

anthonybpugh

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 01, 2007, 06:23 PM NHFT

Too bad the the recent posts doesn't allow me to ignore threads. The stuff I might be interested in is buried under the "product" of this thread.

Boo fucken hoo. 

Tom Sawyer

Lex

Pat K

Quote from: anthonybpugh on December 01, 2007, 08:10 PM NHFT

Boo fucken hoo. 

I see your Boo fucken hoo and raise you one WA Fucking WA.

Faber

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 01, 2007, 08:14 PM NHFT
Wow that's nice.

Both yours and Anthony's posts were pretty aggressive versions of "STFU" . . . .  Yours just used more words and less profanity.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 01, 2007, 08:15 PM NHFT

NHPoliticalAction.com has a Philosophy section.

Hey Lex thanks.  :)

Was Kat able to give you the purple fleece jacket for your daughter?  :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Faber on December 01, 2007, 08:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 01, 2007, 08:14 PM NHFT
Wow that's nice.

Both yours and Anthony's posts were pretty aggressive versions of "STFU" . . . .  Yours just used more words and less profanity.

No if I meant STFU I'd have been more direct.

Just so you know I have liked some of your posts in other threads I've read. I have karma'd you a couple of times, but others have knocked it back down.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat K on December 01, 2007, 08:18 PM NHFT
Quote from: anthonybpugh on December 01, 2007, 08:10 PM NHFT

Boo fucken hoo. 

I see your Boo fucken hoo and raise you one WA Fucking WA.

;D ;D ;D

Pat you are one of the main reasons I keep coming around... same with Becky.  :) 8)

Faber

:D  I appreciate it.  And likewise, of course.  I think you're spot on (and witty) in a lot of the threads.

I'm sure lots of popular people get their karma dinged, it doesn't bother me.  It'd be cool to be able to look into the logs of who manipulates karma.  If I've just pissed one person off, then I wouldn't worry about it, but if I have people just reading my posts and muttering four-letter words to themselves (other than "cool" and "wooo!" ;) ), then maybe it's people's way of telling me they think I'm wrong, and only a fool would immediately dismiss 100 people telling him that he's wrong.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Faber on December 01, 2007, 08:28 PM NHFT
:D  I appreciate it.  And likewise, of course.  I think you're spot on (and witty) in a lot of the threads.

I'm sure lots of popular people get their karma dinged, it doesn't bother me.  It'd be cool to be able to look into the logs of who manipulates karma.  If I've just pissed one person off, then I wouldn't worry about it, but if I have people just reading my posts and muttering four-letter words to themselves (other than "cool" and "wooo!" ;) ), then maybe it's people's way of telling me they think I'm wrong, and only a fool would immediately dismiss 100 people telling him that he's wrong.

Well I didn't want to tell ya, but the meeting of the 100 most important people of the underground got together in our secret lair and voted to attack your karma.

Well not really, maybe just a product of the soon to pass battle that is winding down... I hope.  ;D

Faber

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 01, 2007, 08:34 PM NHFT
Well I didn't want to tell ya, but the meeting of the 100 most important people of the underground got together in our secret lair and voted to attack your karma.

Well not really, maybe just a product of the soon to pass battle that is winding down... I hope.  ;D

There was a vote, eh?!  Immoral bastard!  ;)  Nah, I'm just kidding.  I'm sure Diebold is to blame.

Tom Sawyer

:)

I can't remember ever dinging someone's karma for a difference of opinion. I've rarely done it for someone being a jackass (I've been one of those before).

I only go negative if I feel someone is damaging the investment I and others I respect have made here.