• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Politics is an immoral dead-end

Started by Vitruvian, November 12, 2007, 10:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: srqrebel on November 14, 2007, 11:30 AM NHFT
If there is no sound rebuttal of this argument (which I personally can think of none), I have no choice but to adopt this view as my own.

How's this for a sound rebuttal?

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=17849.msg330601#msg330601

NOT!

This guy says you're not violating the NAP by taking a hit out on someone!

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Rocketman on November 14, 2007, 01:27 PM NHFT

QuoteIf there is no sound rebuttal of this argument (which I personally can think of none), I have no choice but to adopt this view as my own.

On my list of things to do for this evening, srqrebel... hope I can put together a good case.   :)

I'll be looking forward to reading your rebuttal professor.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: bill rose on November 14, 2007, 09:04 AM NHFT
i am not pointing fingers but i have been beggin for so real civil action on this board
none have stepped up oh well message me if you live in manch
this guy is very good at the long winded do not express you self at all
lay down your arms speech why are you not calling him out on it
dont forget
who "took" ed => his "friends" or supporters
look around
dont point fingers but know ed's "friends" who took him have "friends" here
i like this board but

I wonder what this said.  ::)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 14, 2007, 08:56 AM NHFT
I think I will start the show tonight by discussing how both Mark and Dale's positions are counterproductive.  Feel free to call and add your thoughts.
When should I call and try to get on? I can throw in my 2 cents. :)
I have not found either of these guys as counterproductive. :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Rodinia on November 14, 2007, 11:02 AM NHFT
I've noticed the contrary to be true about liberty minded,(alliteration warning) principled politico's pressuring people to participate in the political system. It seems in my experiences, those who would work outside the system have far greater contempt for those who choose to work within the system.
Personally speaking, I think both angles are necessary. I think many who don't find working inside the system to be immoral or a waste of time can appreciate what those who work outside the system do. I don't see this translate reciprocally all too often. This seem to fly in the face of individualism.
Actually ... I must have said something wrong, since I agree with you.
Those of us on the outside are usually not impressed with political insider activity, while some of you do appreciate some of what we do.
I also have found that you guys see two angles of attack ... and we see one way ... striking at the root.

But there are some politicos .... that get really worked up around election time ... and they sometimes pressure or even get angry with some of us. I am trying to put some comic relief into the tension. :)

In fact I am attempting to vote sometime soon .... but only because I am being "bought". It gets the politician off my back and lines my pocket. ;) ... not very principled, but it is fun.

shyfrog

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 14, 2007, 02:38 PM NHFT
I've noticed the contrary to be true about liberty minded,(alliteration warning) principled politico's pressuring people to participate in the political system. It seems in my experiences, those who would work outside the system have far greater contempt for those who choose to work within the system.
Personally speaking, I think both angles are necessary. I think many who don't find working inside the system to be immoral or a waste of time can appreciate what those who work outside the system do. I don't see this translate reciprocally all too often. This seem to fly in the face of individualism.
Those of us on the outside are usually not impressed with political insider activity, while some of you do appreciate some of what we do.
I also have found that you guys see two angles of attack ... and we see one way ... striking at the root.

But there are some politicos .... that get really worked up around election time ... and they sometimes pressure or even get angry with some of us. I am trying to put some comic relief into the tension. :)

In fact I am attempting to vote sometime soon .... but only because I am being "bought". It gets the politician off my back and lines my pocket. ;) ... not very principled, but it is fun.

So in light of my satire on Vote Control in Endless Debate and Whining, you've been hired as a hit man. hmmm

anarchicluv

Although I am at heart an anarcho-capitalist/voluntaryist, I realize that it's going to take time to get from where we are currently to where I'd like to be.  I have been a non-voter and stayed completely out of politics for the same moral reasons many voluntaryists have.  But I have come to realize that short of a complete crash of society, we'll never get from here to there by sitting on the sidelines.  The system exists whether or not we agree with it, and it will continue to perpetuate itself until we force it back to its roots; and we can only do that by participating in the system.  If we could return this country to a Constitutional Republic, it would be a HUUUUUUUGE step towards the anarcho-capitalist ideal I so hope for. 

I for one will continue to fight for a return to Constitutional Republicanism, and will still in my heart and in my actions otherwise support anarcho-capitalism and voluntaryism.  That is the ideal, but we're nowhere close to achieving it in our current reality.

Rocketman

Quote from: anarchicluv on November 14, 2007, 02:44 PM NHFT
Although I am at heart an anarcho-capitalist/voluntaryist, I realize that it's going to take time to get from where we are currently to where I'd like to be.  I have been a non-voter and stayed completely out of politics for the same moral reasons many voluntaryists have.  But I have come to realize that short of a complete crash of society, we'll never get from here to there by sitting on the sidelines.  The system exists whether or not we agree with it, and it will continue to perpetuate itself until we force it back to its roots; and we can only do that by participating in the system.  If we could return this country to a Constitutional Republic, it would be a HUUUUUUUGE step towards the anarcho-capitalist ideal I so hope for. 

I for one will continue to fight for a return to Constitutional Republicanism, and will still in my heart and in my actions otherwise support anarcho-capitalism and voluntaryism.  That is the ideal, but we're nowhere close to achieving it in our current reality.

Very good post.  One question -- do you think "a complete crash of society" under our current circumstances would bring about "the anarcho-capitalist ideal (you) so hope for?"

Faber

If we could return this country to a Constitutional Republic, it would be a HUUUUUUUGE step towards the anarcho-capitalist ideal I so hope for. 

What happened the last time we had a Constitutional Republic?

Rocketman

Quote from: Faber on November 14, 2007, 03:58 PM NHFT
If we could return this country to a Constitutional Republic, it would be a HUUUUUUUGE step towards the anarcho-capitalist ideal I so hope for. 

Another way to put the same question: What happened the last time we had an Age of Enlightenment?

CNHT

Quote from: Rocketman on November 14, 2007, 02:56 PM NHFT
One question -- do you think "a complete crash of society" under our current circumstances would bring about "the anarcho-capitalist ideal (you) so hope for?"

To have total anarchy would then insure that we would all be required to use force just to survive.

dalebert

Quote from: CNHT on November 14, 2007, 04:07 PM NHFT
To have total anarchy would then insure that we would all be required to use force just to survive.

How could it possibly be any different than now? If someone attacks you in our "safe" nanny-state, I suggest you be prepared to defend yourself. Are you going to call the police and ask your attacker to wait for them to arrive? If we had no police, and no accompanying false sense of security, a lot more people would be armed. Being a criminal in such a society is playing Russian roulette. I would anticipate a lot less crime, and that's even if you ignore the vast number of crimes the police and politicians wouldn't be around to commit without consequences as they do now, i.e. the source of most crime today.

Rodinia

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 14, 2007, 02:38 PM NHFT

Maybe, what the tree needs is a damned fine pruning. I'm just offering another perspective. Going along with the liberty tree analogy, I don't want to kill it, I want it healthy. I want the tree to thrive.
As a gardner, I know the obvious way to accomplish this is by trimming off the growth that is retarding the plant from springing new, healthy growth. With a little nurturing, we could have fruit.

anarchicluv

Quote from: Rocketman on November 14, 2007, 02:56 PM NHFT

Very good post.  One question -- do you think "a complete crash of society" under our current circumstances would bring about "the anarcho-capitalist ideal (you) so hope for?"

No, I don't.  I was saying that right now we have a means to get from here to there by participating in the system and helping to restore our Republic.  The only other option is to build it from the ground up after a societal crash, God forbid.

anarchicluv

Quote from: Faber on November 14, 2007, 03:58 PM NHFT

The state took over education and people stopped being taught correct principles and about how to keep a Constitutional Republic alive.