• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New possible civil protest? Flag-burning

Started by danhynes, June 23, 2005, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

AlanM

Mike et al,
There are other ways of making protests that don't immediately alienate people over a symbol that means different things to different folks.

foreverfree

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 23, 2005, 10:35 PM NHFT
I will have no problem disrespecting and desecrating a piece of cloth that I own, as long as I am always respectful to others.? And no, I do not consider burning my own piece of cloth as a form of disrespect - how could it be to a reasonable individual?

Obviously you have never fought for that flag or lost a friend or family member fighting for that.  That is why you will never understand what it means.

AlanM

Quote from: foreverfree on June 24, 2005, 09:21 AM NHFT
I will have no problem disrespecting and desecrating a piece of cloth that I own, as long as I am always respectful to others.? And no, I do not consider burning my own piece of cloth as a form of disrespect - how could it be to a reasonable individual?

Obviously you have never fought for that flag or lost a friend or family member fighting for that.? That is why you will never understand what it means.

Waving the bloody shirt doesn't work. My brother was a tunnel rat in Nam. He and I are pretty much on the same wave length.

Rocketman

QuoteObviously you have never fought for that flag

No, I've never fought for a piece of cloth, but I'll certainly fight for what it is supposed to represent.

And no, I don't see the point in burning American flags -- it just pisses people off, and I don't see it sending a positive message.? Why do activists always seem to be such pyromaniacs?? ?::)

JonM

Print a copy of the first amendment on a flag sized piece of cloth and burn that in protest.

foreverfree

Quote from: AlanM on June 24, 2005, 10:02 AM NHFT

Obviously you have never fought for that flag or lost a friend or family member fighting for that.? That is why you will never understand what it means.

Waving the bloody shirt doesn't work. My brother was a tunnel rat in Nam. He and I are pretty much on the same wave length.

You'll have to explain a little further with the saying, "Waving the bloody shirt."  As for your brother....good for him....he is a real American.  He has contributed.

foreverfree

Quote from: Rocketman on June 24, 2005, 10:24 AM NHFT
QuoteObviously you have never fought for that flag

No, I've never fought for a piece of cloth, but I'll certainly fight for what it is supposed to represent.

And no, I don't see the point in burning American flags -- it just pisses people off, and I don't see it sending a positive message.? Why do activists always seem to be such pyromaniacs?? ?::)

The American flag is not just a piece of cloth.  It is a visual representation of ideals and history.  I doubt that you would fight for anything other than for something to help yourself.

foreverfree

Quote from: JonM on June 24, 2005, 11:04 AM NHFT
Print a copy of the first amendment on a flag sized piece of cloth and burn that in protest.

Much better!  Thank you JonM

AlanM

Quote from: foreverfree on June 24, 2005, 11:26 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on June 24, 2005, 10:02 AM NHFT

You'll have to explain a little further with the saying, "Waving the bloody shirt."? As for your brother....good for him....he is a real American.? He has contributed.

Try reading history.

Dave Ridley

I would not participate in or support in any way a burning of the U.S. flag, I would recommend against it.  I'm so against the idea in fact that I would  probably not even participate more than this once in a debate about it, since that would just draw attention to the idea.   There are  so  many better flags to burn: New York, Mass. , China, Connetticut, UN...does District of Columbia have a flag?

Michael Fisher

I will not participate in any US flag burning because the issue is not obviously just to enough people.  Too many people love this piece of cloth for me to burn it.  I believe it would only hurt our cause.

Of course, if jingoism gets too far out of control here, I'll be the first to bring this idea up again.

John

Quote from: Rocketman on June 23, 2005, 05:50 PM NHFT
QuoteAll we can do is try our best to change the culture through all moral means available to us.? If the law can keep up with these changes, then the government will survive.? If not, then no consent will exist for the government and it will cease to exist.

Mike, I'm not sure I want to be the one who has to tell all those bureaucrats and legislators their jobs have ceased to exist.? The looks on their faces might make me sad.? Gosh, I hope they can all find work in the private sector (which I guess would then be the only sector? ;D).?

Of course, without all that regulation, jobs oughta be plentiful -- maybe you can teach a few bureaucrats to repair computers?? Hey, everybody deserves a chance, right?

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Wow, that will make a great movie someday -- Anarchists and libertarians succeed in abolishing or nearly abolishing government, and everybody prospers except the poor useless bureacucrats, until a few kind Free Staters teach them to survive as human beings in the wild jungles of New Hampshire.? Guess I'd better get started on the script...

:)

Dreepa

I think it would turn people against you real quick.
While I plan on trying to fight the Amendment I think that burning as a protest is a bad idea.

Yes DC does have a flag.
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-dc.html

I got to spend 4 years looking at it in college, during the 'Crack Barry' years.

Dude who crushed my karma? :P

KBCraig

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 24, 2005, 12:20 PM NHFT
I will not participate in any US flag burning because the issue is not obviously just to enough people.  Too many people love this piece of cloth for me to burn it.  I believe it would only hurt our cause.

It would hurt our cause, but it's not because they love a piece of cloth. It's because they love the ideal represented by that cloth, which is also the very thing we're seeking: Liberty!

Of course, if jingoism gets too far out of control here, I'll be the first to bring this idea up again.

I haven't seen the first hint of jingoism here (not counting deliberate trollish behavior). Jingoism, by definition, defies reason. Those here who oppose burning the U.S. flag do so out of devotion to the reason behind it.

Mike, I want to point out that I have great respect for you, for reconsidering your stance on this. When I get to NH, we'll burn a UN flag.  ;D

Kevin