• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Curious observation about Texas

Started by KBCraig, November 16, 2007, 04:25 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Dining in a local BBQ joint today, a curious bit of Texas truism dawned on me:

In Texas, a "pit" isn't a hole in the ground; it's an above-ground, often mobile, metal structure for smoking BBQ.

In Texas, a "tank" isn't an above-ground metal structure; it's a hole in the ground the rest of the world calls a "pond".

For anyone passing down I-30 west of Texarkana, I highly recommend Ramage Farms at the Hooks exist. Good 'Q there (and I don't give that rating lightly!) Or, give me a couple of days notice, and I'll hook you up right in my back yard. Burnt ends as a bonus.

Kevin

Tom Sawyer

You could start a Bar-B-Q catering business in the Shire...
Hard to get good BBQ up here. Most think it is the sauce, when it is the smoked meat.

I've watched a guy that started out doing catering grow into having a popular roadside restaurant.

Kat Kanning

....imagining KB in his pink frilly apron  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

cathleeninnh

Down'n Dirty 168 Amory St in Manchester does some excellent smoked meat. Sauce is optional.

Cathleen

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: cathleeninnh on November 16, 2007, 07:44 AM NHFT
Down'n Dirty 168 Amory St in Manchester does some excellent smoked meat. Sauce is optional.

Cathleen

This has more credibility when I hear it said with your southern accent.  :D

Lloyd Danforth

I read/hear everything she says with a Southern accent ;D

Kat Kanning

Why does every thread about Texas degrade into discussion about BBQ?  ::) ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 16, 2007, 07:54 AM NHFT
Why does every thread about Texas degrade into discussion about BBQ?  ::) ;D

Discussion about BBQ elevates the conversation.  ;)

cathleeninnh

mike82934

I'll get to finally try "real" barbeque when I get moved down there in a couple months. I meant to find a place when we were staying in Jasper for a few days, but we kept pretty busy just looking at property.
The thing that I didn't understand was that I couldn't find a place that served crawfish. Catfish was aplenty, but there wasn't a crawfish one...and so close to Louisiana!
I may have to just cross the state line every once in awhile to go get my fix.  ;D

David

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 16, 2007, 06:43 AM NHFT
Hard to get good BBQ up here. Most think it is the sauce, when it is the smoked meat.

I agree.  I try at least once a year to go to a rib burnoff.  I go from vender to vender buying little 3 bone samplers.  MMM MMM good.  I can easily spend 30-40 dollars.  (now you know why I only like to do this once a year.)  I missed last year.  I'll have to make up for it in '08. 

Tom Sawyer

Pulled pork is my favorite. I got to get my smoker going again.

Pat K

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 16, 2007, 11:27 PM NHFT

O-K once again I want it noted,
the great restraint I am showing,
by not commenting here!!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat K on November 16, 2007, 11:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 16, 2007, 11:27 PM NHFT

O-K once again I want it noted,
the great restraint I am showing,
by not commenting here!!

What the hell are you stalking me?

;D ;D ;D