• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New free stater wondering where to live

Started by dysurian, November 18, 2007, 07:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

Quote from: Pat K on November 19, 2007, 04:07 PM NHFT
Man James sure has changed his look since last we met.

The operation was a bitch.
But now I can use the McDonalds play-area again.

Pat K

Quote from: Puke on November 19, 2007, 04:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on November 19, 2007, 04:07 PM NHFT
Man James sure has changed his look since last we met.

The operation was a bitch.
But now I can use the McDonalds play-area again.

;D ;D

dysurian

ManchVegas (I personally think ManchLantic City would have had a better ring, but it wasn't my decision...) and Keene are certainly on my visit list. I'm honestly more likely to want to live in a population center the size of Manchester. In my OP, I said I would want to live near a population center, but just remembered I lived in the suburbs here in the Twin Cities for a year and being just 20 minutes outside the city bored the hell out of me. If I can manage to get my ass in gear soon enough (i.e. rid myself of about 3/4 of my worldly possessions), I could be ready to move when my current lease expires at the end of July next year.

I'm less worried about what job I'll have than liking the city I move to. I'm not very far along in my "financial services" career, and I could really take it or leave it at this point. I'm not very happy with the industry, and I'd much rather have a job I like than a lot of money (of course both would be nice...)

EJinCT

Quote from: Dreepa on November 18, 2007, 10:34 PM NHFT
As someone who doesn't live in Manch.. i think that is where you should probably go.

Welcome to the FSP and the NHFREE

As someone who now lives in Manchester, I concur.  :boogie:

Keep in mind if your a "city dweller", that Manchester is still on the small side, as far as "cities" go.
Honestly, it feels like a suburb of a Metro.  :D

Personally, I'm very glad to be away from large urbanized areas, and as others have posted, Boston isn't far away if you need a "fix".

Oh, and if you hear mention of the "bad parts" of Manch. don't pay it any mind. I've spent time on the streets in cities all across the country and it hardly equates IME.

There are many different activities to get involved with and I highly doubt boredom will play a factor as long as you have initiative and stamina.  ;)

Not too sure about the local music scene yet though. From the on-line browsing of local musician classifieds I've done, it seems to be predominantly Rock/Metal, Blues, European Folk and Country/Western. With the exception of some Rock/Metal, none of those are forms I care to hear much of.

BTW, it is safe to drink the tap water here, if that tells you anything.  ;D

dysurian

Quote from: EJinCT on November 19, 2007, 07:25 PM NHFT
As someone who doesn't live in Manch.. i think that is where you should probably go.

Keep in mind if your a "city dweller", that Manchester is still on the small side, as far as "cities" go.

I'm in St. Paul, MN right now which isn't exactly gigantic either. Mostly the reason I have a city-centric approach is because I want to be near colleges (or younger people in general), coffee shops, and brewpubs. I absolutely love where I live right now, because it's within easy walking distance of my favorite bar and my favorite coffee shop, and the people in the neighborhood are of the generally young-ish and smiley variety. I'm sure I could find an environment like that in a much smaller city than Manchester, it just seems more likely to occur in a population center.

I guess that means I'll just have to make more investigative trips before move date to check out various areas ;)

Porcupine Realtor

Dysurian:
When you come to PorcFest 2008 in June you can take advantage of our day tours to see the various cities around NH.  This past June I was in the exact same position as you, knowing I wanted to come to the Free State, but not sure where.  I ulitmately decided on Manchester, and I'm glad I did.  However, the Portsmouth area is a strong contender in my opinion.  On your next visit, you'll get a better feel for it.  You should definitely plan to come out in June and interview eveyone you meet about where to live.  Good luck . . . and welcome home.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: dysurian on November 19, 2007, 07:43 PM NHFT
I absolutely love where I live right now, because it's within easy walking distance of my favorite bar and my favorite coffee shop, and the people in the neighborhood are of the generally young-ish and smiley variety. I'm sure I could find an environment like that in a much smaller city than Manchester, it just seems more likely to occur in a population center.

Keene is VERY walkable, and quite young-ish.  Lots of bars and coffee places.

Pat K

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 19, 2007, 08:06 PM NHFT
I absolutely love where I live right now, because it's within easy walking distance of my favorite bar and my favorite coffee shop, and the people in the neighborhood are of the generally young-ish and smiley variety. I'm sure I could find an environment like that in a much smaller city than Manchester, it just seems more likely to occur in a population center.

Us old farts like it too.

Insurgent

I'm in St. Paul, MN right now which isn't exactly gigantic either. Mostly the reason I have a city-centric approach is because I want to be near colleges (or younger people in general), coffee shops, and brewpubs. I absolutely love where I live right now, because it's within easy walking distance of my favorite bar and my favorite coffee shop, and the people in the neighborhood are of the generally young-ish and smiley variety. I'm sure I could find an environment like that in a much smaller city than Manchester, it just seems more likely to occur in a population center.

I guess that means I'll just have to make more investigative trips before move date to check out various areas ;)

What area of St Paul are you in? Are you hooked up with the local LP resistance there?

porcupine kate

All of those things are easy to find in any of the places everyone else has mentioned.  I you plan not to have a car Manchester is the way to go.  I don't know of any other area large enough to pull off not having a car. 

To be bored around here takes real work.  There is so much going on that you will have to choose what you want to do and how you want to do it.  This the best part of what is going on here in NH.  People are trying all different paths to gain more liberty and freedoms.

Maybe you should look at what you want to do here, how you want to do it and what goals and dreams you may have.  Since you have time and flexibility use the ideas that are really important to you to help you find a place to settle in and a job that you like and will support your goals.

Let us know what you want to do and then we can help by letting you know were it is happening.

FTL_Ian

Kate, I'm not sure why a large area is somewhere you want to be without a car.  Keene is smaller than Manchester and therefore easier to get around on foot or by bicycle.  In fact, many people here do.  ( http://trailsnkeene.com )

There are many instances where a bicycle will get you somewhere faster in Keene than will a car.

KBCraig

dysurian

Quote from: Insurgent on November 19, 2007, 08:59 PM NHFT

What area of St Paul are you in? Are you hooked up with the local LP resistance there?

I basically live geographically precisely between downtown Minneapolis and Downtown St. Paul, which are 11 miles apart from one another. I haven't hooked up with the LP, but I'm involved with the Ron Paul meetup, though I'm not a constant/regular participant. I guess now is as good a time as any to start giving more than money and the votes of my friends and family to Dr. Paul. It'll give me an opportunity to meet up with other like-mindeds, and see if anybody else is interested in taking the Shire plunge with me.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 19, 2007, 09:24 PM NHFT
Kate, I'm not sure why a large area is somewhere you want to be without a car.  Keene is smaller than Manchester and therefore easier to get around on foot or by bicycle.  In fact, many people here do.  ( http://trailsnkeene.com )

There are many instances where a bicycle will get you somewhere faster in Keene than will a car.

I'm definitely going to have a car at my disposal. I thought I was tough and tried going without one here in St. Paul a couple of years ago and it was a big mistake for me. I'll be bringing my bike too, and it's nice to know much of NH is bike friendly.

Insurgent

Do you live over by Fabulous Ferns? Sounds like might be, based on the description. I can hook you up with some local insurgents and FSPers, if you want. One of the leaders of the resistance is my buddy Lee http://www.myspace.com/hadesraze who lives directly over Ferns.

Pat K

Quote from: KBCraig on November 19, 2007, 09:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on November 19, 2007, 08:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 19, 2007, 08:06 PM NHFT
Us old farts like it too.

Well, duh.

KB can be quite the smart ass=Ive always liked that,  about him.