• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Videography training Nov. 25, sunday, Manchester

Started by Dave Ridley, November 21, 2007, 10:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Ridleography training

When: Sun Nov 25 , 2p - 6p
Where:   Manchester NH
(Changed from Keene, changed from saturday)

$40 bucks per person, but I'm available as students' advisor indefinitely if you have questions.

Plz rsvp if you can
even at the last minute you should be able to reach me by phone:  721 1490

more details later

Note that this type of training is basically how to shoot videos you wont edit.  ("ridleos")
Examples of such videos are at http://youtube.com/RidleyReport

The techniques you will learn are slightly different from those you would use to do conventional videography.

Dave Ridley

3 students are signed up so far altho usually i end up with one less that I expect.

KBCraig

One thing I would suggest for your training: camera stability. Tripods are important! Even if it's not a full size tripod (they're a pain to lug around), a mini-tripod is easy enough to carry (the kind that can hold the camera on a table top, or clamp to a car window, etc.)

Mono-pods are also great, and they double as walking staffs when you don't have a camera attached.

In mostly static situations, such as interviewing someone in front of a wall, keeping the camera completely stationary (unless the subject moves completely out of the frame) accomplishes a couple of things. First, it's easier to watch if the frame isn't trying to jump around to keep up with the subject. Next, it makes the video compress more efficiently, which makes for faster uploads and downloads, and smoother viewing for people with older and slower computers.

Great work, Dave! And kudos to your students thus far!

Dave Ridley

tripods are a real struggle because the consumer pods are so hard to manipulate, also they really slow you down and limit your mobility.

i do like the monopod idea
and even a consumer pod is good for a few things.

i focus on training folks to do well with just a camcorder
for interviews tripods are a bad idea , unless you are a real pro...
acceptable steadiness can be achieved almost anytime you keep the camera on wide angle.