• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Bank Choices

Started by Evenstar, November 25, 2007, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Evenstar

My family is looking to change banks at this point.  We're not in New Hampshire yet, but we'd ideally like to find a bank that we can continue to do business with once we arrive in New Hampshire.  What national bank chains have branches in New Hampshire (especially southern New Hampshire)?

Dreepa

Captial Bank
Bank of America
TD BANKNorth
Centrix

(off the top of my head)

I use a local NH bank.

SethCohn

Citizen's is very big here...
BankNorth has a lot of branches as well.
Both are big enough to have branches in your homestate...

http://www.nh.gov/banking/banking.html
has a complete list of NH Banks

MengerFan

I love Bank of America. They will let you open an account without a SSN.

I used them for six years while I had branches available to me. Always treated me great.

porcupine kate

Bank of America has changed it's policy on opening an account with out a SSN.  I tried earlier this year with no luck.  The patriot act requires a SSN for all accounts at banks now.  I think Credit unions fall under the same law.

MengerFan

That blows.

I do know that I opened an account in my daughter's lame at a local bank, and she has no identification whatsoever. They probably stamped the account with my information somehow, though.

MaineShark

Quote from: ivyleague28477 on November 25, 2007, 04:52 PM NHFT
Quote from: MengerFan on November 25, 2007, 11:54 AM NHFTI love Bank of America.
Bank of America is owned by the mafia.  If there is a 'most corrupt' title in banking, it would definitely go to BOA. I'm amazed you've had all good experiences, because I was with Fleet bank for 17 years, but within 3 months of BOA buying them out, I was so infuriated I took all my money out.

I dropped them while they were still Fleet.  The final straw was when a credit union opened in town, and the Fleet folks were telling everyone how they should stick with a proper bank, which had lending power to offer much better rates.  The credit union had better rates, and never once asked to see any ID after the account was opened - when the employees take the time to learn to recognize their customers' faces, that tells you something about the level of customer service.

I recall going in once for a loan to buy a vehicle.  I was $2k short of the funds I needed, and I needed the vehicle then.  So I asked the manager if they could give me a small loan, and I'd pay it back within two months.  My credit was not impressive at the time, simply due to having a very high debt/income ratio.  He said, "well, we normally don't do that, but you've had an account here since we opened this branch, and never missed a loan payment, so let me call the bank president."

Yeah, I can just imagine a branch manager calling the president of BOA to approve a $2k loan for a customer who was way over the debt/income guidelines.  They'd just tell you to take a hike...

Joe

elf

No bank. 
If you can't swap, barter, trade, work out an arrangement or pay fiat cash (FRNs) - learn to live without. 
It takes a while to beat the addiction to "gotta have it NOW", but well worth it.
The benefits?  No debt.  Nobody phoning you about late payments.  No angst
over that unholy grail - the credit score. 
Best of all:  nobody gets your personal info. 

RD

I use TD Banknorth as a brick-and-mortar interface to my online ING accounts.  TD Banknorth has a lot of locations in southern NH and has a good free basic checking account.  That gives you a decent hands-on interface to online-only banks like ING, where you'll earn a helluva lot more in interest, while still having access to all of the benefits of online banking, savings, investing, a debit card, free atm locations, 24 hour phone customer service, etc.