• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I'm new 'round here!

Started by donttreadonmike, November 27, 2007, 01:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

donttreadonmike

Hey every body! Most people say "I've been lurking around here for a while" but I'm not going to say that because it isn't true. This is my first time here. I was listening to Free Talk Live and Ian mentioned this site. My girlfriend/future-wife and I have seriously considered signing up for the Free State project. We're going to visit Hew Hampshire sometime before we decide though. My only concern is the job situation. I just finished getting my Bachelor's degree in 3D animation. I live in San Diego which is perfect for my field. All of the major video games are made here and if I get sick of that, I can move up to L.A. and work in movies (not likely though). My girlfriend is working on a degree in history/archeology with an emphasis on the ancient middle east. Now, she says she wouldn't have too much of a problem going from studying Mesopotamians to studying Northeastern Native Americans, but I'm concerned about my career field. I know NH has a lot of High Tech jobs but is there any place for an animator there? How about Boston? As a last resort, we could always commute to that hell-hole if we needed to I guess. Anyway thanks for the help.

-Mike

RangerProbst

Hi Mike, welcome to the NH Free forum!

I am also living in CA right now and I hear your pain about careers. There is pretty much no way in hell I am going to be able to work in the same field I am now once I move. I'll find a way to make it work even though I'm going to have to do something else. If this is the sacrifice I have to make for freedom in my lifetime, it's an easy decision.

That said, I'm pretty sure I saw a few openings in your career field listed on nhjobs.com. Check it out and maybe you can find something there. You can always start your own thing up as well. That's the route I intend to take. It's been a while since I was my own boss.

J’raxis 270145

Welcome!

Check out PorcFest—a lot of people made up their mind to move after visiting New Hampshire and attending that.

Lasse

If you can't move to NH and want to work in the video game industry, I'd put in some papers with Valve or ArenaNet and see if you can't move to Washington instead. At least you can carry a gun - heck, most places are better than LA.

RangerProbst

Quote from: Lasse on November 27, 2007, 04:29 AM NHFT
If you can't move to NH and want to work in the video game industry, I'd put in some papers with Valve or ArenaNet and see if you can't move to Washington instead. At least you can carry a gun - heck, most places are better than LA.

From what I've heard, Washington is going to participate in Real ID.

Lasse

Quote from: RangerProbst on November 27, 2007, 04:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lasse on November 27, 2007, 04:29 AM NHFT

From what I've heard, Washington is going to participate in Real ID.
Don't get me wrong. Washington is far from a libertarian state, but it is a gun rights state. Open carry proponents have been campaigning without any anti-gun idiots crying out and starting a campaign.

It's not good, but it's better than California (and especially Los Angeles).

Lloyd Danforth

He didn't mention gun rights.  Move to NH.  We have a guy here making his own movies. You can too.

http://www.activemindstudios.com/

donttreadonmike

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

And yes gun rights are a big issue with me. I've open carried in Arizona before but obviously I have no right to protect myself in my home town.

Russell Kanning

How about you just try to find something in NH ... and see what happens?

maeqFREEDOMfree

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 27, 2007, 12:21 PM NHFT
How about you just try to find something in NH ... and see what happens?

Hey guys i'm new here too. is there a good place on the forums to start a job hunt? i'm a website designer  but i'm willing to work in just about any field

Russell Kanning

we have a special section somewhere .... if you can let people get to know you here ... maybe they can help you down the road

Atlas

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 21, 2008, 06:30 PM NHFT
we have a special section somewhere .... if you can let people get to know you here ... maybe they can help you down the road
Hey Russ, maeqFreedomfree is my cousin. I told him to come over here and see what yall had to say about jobs. He's really been showing interest in the FSP since the whole RP campaign has simmered down a little...

Russell Kanning