• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Immigrant looking for a job in New Hampshire

Started by iWantToLiveFree, November 30, 2007, 09:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

iWantToLiveFree

Fellow Free Staters and Liberty minded Americans,

As a would be immigrant to this country, I am required to go through the visa application process. I cannot simply pack my things and move my profitable business to the United States. Immigration via self employment is a no-go for me (requires at least a $1M investment and other arbitrary rules).
My only option (barred winning the visa lottery) is to immigrate through regular employment by an already established US company.

For too long have I put up with the French authorities, regulating every move I make and taxing the life out of me. The US is a far better place for me to live and do business. It's not quite as statist as France is. I estimate the regulation lag to be about 15 years on average between the two countries.
In any case, I have determined that it would be far more financially viable for me to live in the United States AND I wouldn't have to wake up every morning contemplating my own failure to be a part of the second American revolution in New Hampshire. I can't live here any longer. I have always felt drawn to America and I now feel that my place is in New Hampshire. I will always feel this void inside of me if I do not go ahead and call myself a porcupine.

I currently run a profitable web based business which I could move to New Hampshire tomorrow if it weren't for the bureaucrats. By the way, 90+% of my current business is with Americans. Because it will soon go mostly on auto-pilot and because I plan to hire someone to take over some of my previous responsibilities, I am now actively looking for a job to supplement my income and keep me occupied. I was recently offered a well paid job in southern France where I live.. but this is NOT what I want. I do not feel whole. I will not feel whole.

I am therefore looking for a job in the United States (obviously, I would consider something in New Hampshire only). As you can probably guess by now, my field is web development and server administration.
I am most familiar with LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) environments with CSS/HTML/XML/DHTML and Javascript on the client side. I have been developing a web application and several other websites for the last 3 years for my company. I have a detailed understanding of both the client side and server side at all levels (including code, database and server optimization). I am currently in the process of finalizing our transition to a fully Web 2.0 application which is currently in internal beta testing, with A LOT of AJAX and tremendous optimization work and many new features.

I have also some experience using ASP/ASP.net/JSP on IIS/Tomcat with SQL Server databases, although I haven't had to work in this environment lately, and I am not as proficient and versatile as I am with LAMP.
I also have experience developing desktop applications for windows.

I would obviously prefer to work on similar projects if I were to be employed in the United States.

Thank you for your time. Feel free to PM me should have a job offer or anything of interest.

Yours in Liberty,
Nicolas

Porcupine Realtor

Nicolas,
We hope you can get over here soon!  It is well known that legal immigration to the USA is a lengthy and expensive process.
If you haven't already done so, you should look through the old threads on this forum to see the many mentions of various hi-tech businesses located in New Hampshire.  I'm sure there are some opportunities for you here.  Worst case scenario, perhaps you could teach French at a community college just to get the visa.
Bon chance et bienvenue.

iWantToLiveFree

Quote from: TaxinatorIf you haven't already done so, you should look through the old threads on this forum to see the many mentions of various hi-tech businesses located in New Hampshire.

Thanks.. doing that as we speak ;)

I just figured someone from the Free State Project would be more likely to go through the process of hiring a like minded immigrant.

Quote from: TaxinatorWorst case scenario, perhaps you could teach French at a community college just to get the visa.
Bon chance et bienvenue.

Omg, talk about worst case scenario  :P

KBCraig

Quote from: iWantToLiveFree on November 30, 2007, 09:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: TaxinatorWorst case scenario, perhaps you could teach French at a community college just to get the visa.
Bon chance et bienvenue.

Omg, talk about worst case scenario  :P

"Worst case" would be staying in France, non?

Are you familiar with Quebecois French? I'm sure hospitals, schools, and businesses in the North Country need "on call" translators now and then.

I love your enthusiasm. I hope you can come "home" soon.

Kevin

iWantToLiveFree

Quote from: KBCraig"Worst case" would be staying in France, non?

Oui en effet  :)

Granted that'd be worse... but then again I'd like to avoid that if possible (teaching French). Similarly, I would not be seeking out members of the "French Community" in New Hampshire. I know many immigrants of different nationalities seem to do just that.. I'm not sure what the point is really. But hell, we're all different and that's the beauty of it :)

Quote from: KBCraigI'm sure hospitals, schools, and businesses in the North Country need "on call" translators now and then

I can't really afford to be picky now can I? I wonder if they really need French speakers badly enough to be willing to sponsor someone into this country. Only one way to find out.

EJinCT

I wonder if posting a resume on something like (  http://www.monster.com/ ) would help?

If you have the credentials/paper trail to make that work, just getting a job would allow you to move; then you could search for what you would like to do.

Best of luck to you. ;)

iWantToLiveFree

Hey, thanks EJinNH..

I did that (Monster France) and got a very good response rate and a nice job offer within a couple days, and other interviews on the way. However, it got me thinking... this is NOT what I want. I thought I could postpone the move to NH and just stay in France for a while. When I felt this tremendous lack of excitement when I was told I was good to go and got more money than I thought I could get.. this, is when I knew it was all a mistake. This, is when I realized I had to swallow my pride and go through the immigration process.

Btw, the only reason I applied for a job in France is because the suckers are taxing me so bad that some supplemental income was needed (in order to buy a house in NH that is).
In the US, the tax rates are descent (ie. not so thoroughly horrible as they could be) and I could make it on my own without a job on the side. But then again, I can't get in without a US job offer so there.

I'll try Monster US but in my experience US companies are reluctant to go through the process (who can blame them) and will often screen out overseas applicants. In many job postings you'll see things such as "YOU MUST BE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO WORK IN THE US". The market for immigrants is incredibly small as it is, but this is compounded by the fact that I'd need a job in NH and that my skills must justify the employment of a foreign national in the eyes of the faceless bureaucrat processing the application. I can't even whore myself and accept lower wages as there are requirements in this regard as well.

I'll give it a shot though.

scrappy

There's an Hewlett Packard in France, I think, as well as one in Nashua, NH.  It'd be a stretch but you could try going in that direction by starting there then transferring here.

iWantToLiveFree

I tried working for Apple (Ireland) a few years ago.. they rarely transfered people if ever. And I only saw that once.. for some kind of managerial position (and it was partly marriage related as well). When I inquired about that, I was told it was a very uncommon practice and that for the most part, european managers didn't want to send local employees they had spent time and energy on to America. As a matter of fact, even in Ireland (and at Apple inc.) America wasn't exactly held in high esteem and Americans were seen as stereotypical ignorant morons.

The process is almost as complicated for companies transferring personnel as it is for companies hiring new employees. And they are subject to the same quotas.. meaning issuance of a visa is not guaranteed at all.

But you're correct, they have HP offices in France.. not sure if they have anything related to web development (which is something I could be hired for). Most US companies only maintain a small managerial/marketing presence in France with most european manufacturing/shipping operations in Ireland and development back in the US.

And even if that were to happen, chances are good I couldn't transfer to NH :) And even assuming they'd need me in the US at all, that would most likely be a temporary assignment, and permanent transfer is unlikely to happen, and if ever, only after a long long time.
I may consider that.. but really only as a last resort.

It sucks I can't simply move my own business over there and be my own employer.

KBCraig

Are you single? You could try this new reality game show: "Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?"  ;D

I am not familiar at all with the restrictions on various classes of visas, but I did have a thought: could you come as a student or tourist and develop business contacts? I know student/tourist visas don't allow you to work here, but if you develop the contacts, you could find an employer who would sponsor you on a work visa.

Do your clients require in-person contact? If not, you can work on web development anywhere you can find a high speed connection. Tourist, student, H1-B... you could work for your French clients while sitting in New Hampshire.  8)

iWantToLiveFree

lol why had I not thought of that  :blush:

No I'm not single. I've been with my current girlfriend almost 8 years so you can imagine that it wasn't really a factor facilitating my decision to move to NH. I've been trying to get her excited about the US, then NH for as long as I can remember. Thing is, she's a true Libertarian in the US sense (yes I am to blame). She might be open to coming to NH but only in a few years.. and it's already hard enough for one to get in so..

So called "Libertarians" in France are few and far in between and still support universal health care and a variety of state enforced safety nets and victimless crimes. Which is why I don't associate with them in any way. Last time they couldn't even get a candidate on the ballot.. this goes to show how screwed things are in France, where even mild statists can't garner enough popular support to even simply put a candidate on the ballot.
But I'm digressing here.

Quote from: KBCraigI am not familiar at all with the restrictions on various classes of visas, but I did have a thought: could you come as a student or tourist and develop business contacts? I know student/tourist visas don't allow you to work here, but if you develop the contacts, you could find an employer who would sponsor you on a work visa.

Neither am I familiar with French immigration law, but it didn't stop me from supporting tougher enforcement when I was of the conservative mindset a long time ago.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:
I was a French style Libertarian back then.

Affirmative, one is not allowed to do that, but that wouldn't stop me. Spending time in the business community trying to develop contacts could be construed as work by an overzealous bureaucrat.. but I'd take my chances. This is no big deal. The thing is, a student visa would be problematic as I'd have to pay tuition and go to school (and I also believe they report students who don't show up).
However you may be on to something with the tourist visa. I guess that'd make things that much easier for me. I also believe one is not allowed to look for work while in the United States but this is one other requirement I don't care much about. I don't really need business contacts as I already have plenty all across the US.. more on that below.
I guess I could use my 3 months stay as a tourist to look for work, see if I can make it through the NH winter (I come from the French riviera.. it's 60F right now and I can't see no clouds 8) ). If you guys happen to know of any Free Staters with a spare room to rent.. let me know.

Quote from: KBCraigDo your clients require in-person contact? If not, you can work on web development anywhere you can find a high speed connection. Tourist, student, H1-B... you could work for your French clients while sitting in New Hampshire. 8)

No in person contact required. I've already moved around quite a bit.. in fact, as you point out.. anywhere I had to go and there was a high speed connection. However, I have NO French clients whatsoever and I would say that 98% of my clients are from the US or Canada. Probably 95% of those are from the US and the rest from English speaking Canada. So that's the thing.. I earn US dollars and the EURO conversion rate is killing me right now. The US government would rather I spent my American dollars in France.. go figure.

Thanks again for your time.. I really appreciate the interest and am looking forward to, who knows, paying you a beer or two some day (yes I am actively trying to bribe FSP members - pass the word around).

EJinCT

Quote from: iWantToLiveFree on December 02, 2007, 06:43 AM NHFT

Quote from: KBCraigI am not familiar at all with the restrictions on various classes of visas, but I did have a thought: could you come as a student or tourist and develop business contacts? I know student/tourist visas don't allow you to work here, but if you develop the contacts, you could find an employer who would sponsor you on a work visa.

Affirmative, one is not allowed to do that, but that wouldn't stop me. Spending time in the business community trying to develop contacts could be construed as work by an overzealous bureaucrat.. but I'd take my chances. This is no big deal. The thing is, a student visa would be problematic as I'd have to pay tuition and go to school (and I also believe they report students who don't show up).
However you may be on to something with the tourist visa. I guess that'd make things that much easier for me. I also believe one is not allowed to look for work while in the United States but this is one other requirement I don't care much about. I don't really need business contacts as I already have plenty all across the US.. more on that below.
I guess I could use my 3 months stay as a tourist to look for work, see if I can make it through the NH winter (I come from the French riviera.. it's 60F right now and I can't see no clouds 8) ). If you guys happen to know of any Free Staters with a spare room to rent.. let me know.

Quote from: KBCraigDo your clients require in-person contact? If not, you can work on web development anywhere you can find a high speed connection. Tourist, student, H1-B... you could work for your French clients while sitting in New Hampshire. 8)

No in person contact required. I've already moved around quite a bit.. in fact, as you point out.. anywhere I had to go and there was a high speed connection. However, I have NO French clients whatsoever and I would say that 98% of my clients are from the US or Canada. Probably 95% of those are from the US and the rest from English speaking Canada. So that's the thing.. I earn US dollars and the EURO conversion rate is killing me right now. The US government would rather I spent my American dollars in France.. go figure.

Thanks again for your time.. I really appreciate the interest and am looking forward to, who knows, paying you a beer or two some day (yes I am actively trying to bribe FSP members - pass the word around).

After reading this post I keep having visions of a porcupine "underground railroad".  :NinjaIconA:   ;D

I'll prolly get flamed for this, but......  :icon_pirat:

....bribery isn't needed. I think you will find most "porc's" to be a genuinely helpful lot.  8)

If you have a set date for your move, it would likely be easier to help you find a place to stay; but I'm sure you wouldn't be left homeless if you had to make a quick "escape".  ;)

iWantToLiveFree

Well, bribery may not be needed.. and I'm sure porc's are a fine bunch of wonderful human beings, but it's still customary to buy folks you like beers if only to thank them for the support.. and to quench their thirst :P

The thing is, if I were to come to NH to sort of scout out, then I'd need a place to stay at obviously. I'd be staying for at least a month or longer, which would pretty much rule out the hotel life. Not sure what the rates are but I'd need a place with an Internet connection (that pesky company of mine to run you know) and knowledgeable and friendly people to associate with.
So I'd like to rent something.. and obviously my ideal choice would be renting a room or something with other free staters.
I don't have a set date to move.. in fact, I could move out of my place within a month if I knew I had a green card in the mail. Now, I could simply visit NH within a few weeks after having made arrangements for a place to stay at.

I guess I now have 2 strategies (which are not mutually exclusive):

• look for a job in NH, send out resumes and contact prospective employers, then make the move when I'm ready (no set date - unpredictable)
  • visit NH and look for a job, send out resumes and contact prospective employers in person, check out the different areas and review the housing market, get to know my fellow free staters and NH natives, then go back to France (with or without a job offer), apply for the sponsored visa and make the final move a bit later (can do that in a few weeks after Xmas)

Perhaps I should start a new thread advertising my looking for a place to rent for a month or so. Would this be appropriate?

EJinCT

Quote from: iWantToLiveFree on December 02, 2007, 05:22 PM NHFTbut it's still customary to buy folks you like beers if only to thank them for the support.. and to quench their thirst

Being appreciative is not the same as bribery, but I was just joking to begin with.  ;)

Besides, with some of these Porc's, I don't know if you could afford that much beer.  ;D

Quote from: iWantToLiveFree on December 02, 2007, 05:22 PM NHFT
Perhaps I should start a new thread advertising my looking for a place to rent for a month or so. Would this be appropriate?

Yes,  it's appropriate; and a good idea.

Additionally, be specific; as much as possible anyway. List any preferences and/or special considerations that would need to be taken into account. I know this is not your final move, but by doing so you will avert many complications that may make the rest of your experience here, frustrating/stressful.

iWantToLiveFree

Quote from: EJinNHBeing appreciative is not the same as bribery, but I was just joking to begin with.  ;)

I knew you were :)

Quote from: EJinNHBesides, with some of these Porc's, I don't know if you could afford that much beer.

I spent a year in Ireland.. I don't think the worst beer loving free stater could beat the average Irishman at that game... except perhaps an Irish free stater ;D
In any case I take that back.. I'll only pay for the first round, you're right, it's too much of a financial risk.

Quote from: EJinNHAdditionally, be specific; as much as possible anyway. List any preferences and/or special considerations that would need to be taken into account. I know this is not your final move, but by doing so you will avert many complications that may make the rest of your experience here, frustrating/stressful.

Right, I need to think about that and then find an appropriate board to post it in. I can hardly think of anything that could ruin my experience.. except for the TSA and other government acronyms.  >:D