• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Human powered vehicles, a way to travel, conserve fuel and get exercise

Started by Recumbent ReCycler, December 01, 2007, 08:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on December 02, 2007, 12:56 PM NHFT

Ethan is also the manager of velomobiles.net and a co-organizer of the ElectroVelo 07 show, which Tim and I both went to back in May. I'll see if another one is planned and post here.

Here's the info on the ElectroVelo '08 gig - are you up for it, Tim? Others?
=============================================

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 2:28 PM
Subject: Upcoming ElectroVelo Event at Beech Ridge on May 18

Hi, Folks!

Here's an update on our Electrathon, HPV and neighborhood vehicle gathering at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway, Scarborough, ME, on Sunday, May 18, with a rain date of Sunday, June 1.

SCHEDULE OF THE DAY:

8:00 AM:  Gates open

8-11 AM:  Inspection and practice for Electrathon vehicles.  (Rick Alderette will be track steward.)

Open time on the track for all other vehicles (some constraints will be necessary on numbers and types of vehicles on the track at the same time, to honor insurance guidelines)

11 AM-NOON:  Electrathon Competition (track closed to all other vehicles).  This might be a good time for other folks to enjoy a bag lunch.

NOON-2 PM:  Open time on the track for all vehicles, with constraints as mentioned above.

2:00 PM:  Race to the Grocery Store ( For ALL vehicles.  An experiment, this will be a shortened adaptation of the vision created by Michael Lewis, which some of you have seen.  It's a work in progress.

We will try to give you more details as they unfold.)

4:00 PM:  Farewell

ELECTRATHON FOLKS: You must be a member of Electrathon America to compete www.ElectrathonAmerica.org   There is no registration fee for the Beech Ridge event, as the Maine Energy Education Program has paid the insurance.  At the Electrathon America website you can download the liability release form, which is to be signed by the vehicle driver (who must have a valid driver's license) and presented to the steward.  Drivers under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign.  I have heard from Falmouth HS, Brunswick HS and Lisbon HS.  An RSVP from others would be welcomed.

As in the past, we will ask for volunteers from Electrathon teams to monitor the four corners of the track during the competition (free t-shirt!).

ALL:  Drinks and munchies will be provided upon arrival, but lunch is up to you.  If we have a large number of vehicles, we will ask for volunteers to be at the corners of the track to monitor the action during open track time.

DIRECTIONS TO BEECH RIDGE:  The Speedway is just minutes south of Portland, ME.  From the Maine Turnpike, north or south, take Exit 42.  Turn left after the toll booth onto Payne Road and go ½ mile.

Turn left again onto Holmes Road and proceed one mile to the Speedway.  We generally enter through Gate 1.

IN THE EVENT OF QUESTIONABLE WEATHER:  A decision to go or no will be made Saturday evening.  Please call Peter Zack (207) 625-3605.

QUESTIONS?  Fire away.

Catch ya soon,

Peter Zack
Maine Energy Education Program
(207) 625-7833

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 03, 2008, 08:31 AM NHFT
DIRECTIONS TO BEECH RIDGE:  The Speedway is just minutes south of Portland, ME.  From the Maine Turnpike, north or south, take Exit 42.  Turn left after the toll booth onto Payne Road and go ½ mile.

Turn left again onto Holmes Road and proceed one mile to the Speedway.  We generally enter through Gate 1.

Directions from Murphy's in Manchester - 89.2 miles, 1 hour, 37 minutes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=494+Elm+St,+Manchester,+NH+03101&daddr=Beech+Ridge+Speedway,+Scarborough,+Maine&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.939885,59.765625&ie=UTF8&z=9

jaqeboy

Starting a new thread about the Electro-Velo event so I can link it to a calendar post. Tim went to this last year with family. It was a nice cozy event with a lot of hands-on - Tim's kids got rides in EV's and some other interesting vehicles.

jaqeboy

OK, here's the new thread for ElectroVelo 08

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=13889.0

All are invited to bring electric bikes, trikes, 4-wheelers, vehicles in progress, etc. You'd just have to contact Peter Zack to let him know you're coming.

Russell Kanning

David

I have been riding alot these past few weeks.  Rain and more frequent wind suck.  a 3 or 4 wheel covered bike would be awesome.  Unfortunately I don't have a few grand sitting around collecting dust in the bank.   :-\

Recumbent ReCycler

I started a new cycling blog last week, and finally finished the first post yesterday.  It's a work in progress, and kind of crude looking at the moment, but I'm planning to keep logs of my adventures in recumbent cycling.  The web site is at http://recumbentcyclingdad.com.  I paid a little under $1000 for my trike including shipping, but before adding accessories.  As much as I hate ebay's policies, there are some good deals on there.  I think I found something that may be even better than a Rhoades Car.  http://www.surreycompany.com/about.htm

I would like something like this, but with recumbent seats so that it is not as tall, and with thin film solar panels on a lightweight composite roof.

Kat Kanning

Pat K

15 miles to the gallon going back and forth to work.
24-26 miles to the gallon when coming to visit you folks.

Recumbent heated leather seats, A/C etc etc.
Even makes it up Rogers drive way.

No peddling required.

Russell Kanning

doobie

How far do you think one could comfortable commute with a bike like this?

Russell Kanning

longer than a normal bike .... depends on the peddler though

I would recommend a 'bent bike for long rides .... not so saddle weary

jaqeboy

Quote from: David on May 03, 2008, 11:18 PM NHFT
I have been riding alot these past few weeks.  Rain and more frequent wind suck.  a 3 or 4 wheel covered bike would be awesome.  Unfortunately I don't have a few grand sitting around collecting dust in the bank.   :-\

3-wheel covered trike in the works at SUNNev in Maine. Electric assist for hills. No drawings available for public viewing yet, but Art might bring some to PorcFest to show during his talk at the AltExpo.

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: doobie on May 27, 2008, 04:20 PM NHFT
How far do you think one could comfortable commute with a bike like this?
I usually ride 3.1 miles to the bus stop and take the bus in from there.  That ride is a breeze.  Sometimes I ride all the way in to work, which is a little over 11 miles, which still isn't too bad, although the first time I rode it I was sore afterwards.  Now I just stretch a little and I'm good to go.  I think I could ride a bit further, but I haven't tried riding more than 25 miles in a day since I bought the trike.  Some time this year I would like to try to ride at least 80 miles in one day, but I think I'll have to put some kind of hydration system on my trike so that I always have cool water to drink.  Right now I don't even have a water bottle cage mounted on it, but I can go 12 miles between drinks if I need to.