• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Human powered vehicles, a way to travel, conserve fuel and get exercise

Started by Recumbent ReCycler, December 01, 2007, 08:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Recumbent ReCycler

By "trek", I wasn't talking about a bike, but as a synonym of a trip.

coffeeseven

Ron Helwig

You might want to use Little Minnesota as one of the stops on your trip. I'm pretty sure there's something in the works for an event on July 6th here.

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: Ron Helwig on June 18, 2008, 12:42 PM NHFT
You might want to use Little Minnesota as one of the stops on your trip. I'm pretty sure there's something in the works for an event on July 6th here.
Thank you Ron.

David

One of the luxeries of having a car is the radio.  I really missed it, since I had to junk the car.  I fixed that the other day.   8)
Headphones are dangerous to wear, so that wasn't an option.  I had a battery one speaker radio from Family Dollar, and I put it in the duffel bag I was carrying, and I am happy.   :D

41mag

I've been thinking about getting something for travel to work.  I'm on a limited budget, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

Russell Kanning

how far?
what kinds of roads?
what time of day?
would you only travel on say ... a bike ... in nice weather?
hilly?
need to be dressed nice and clean for work?

41mag

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 09, 2008, 05:54 PM NHFT
how far?
about 9 miles
Quotewhat kinds of roads?
some dirt, some paved, and a short distance on rt 11.
Quotewhat time of day?
daylight hours
Quotewould you only travel on say ... a bike ... in nice weather?
in good weather.  I'm assuming a bike.  Other options would be considered.
Quotehilly?
some small hills, but not bad
Quoteneed to be dressed nice and clean for work?
relaxed for the most part

Mostly thinking of this as a way to not spend as much on diesel fuel.  Exercise is a nice bonus.  Would need to keep this fairly affordable, but don't want to buy low quality. 

Russell Kanning

Recumbent ReCycler

I have been riding further as I have been getting into better shape.  This past week I have ridden my trike over 60 miles in one day and over 100 miles in under 3 days, all while towing a trailer with tools, water and other stuff in it.  I figured out that I am burning about a pound of fat for every 50 to 60 miles I ride.  So far this year I have gone from a little over 230 lbs to 198 lbs.

Yesterday I crashed my trike after losing traction and sliding off a path.  Fortunately I was able to ride away, and ride another 35+ miles that day.  More details at http://recumbentrecycler.com/journal.html.

Russell Kanning

error

Hm, I just noticed this thread. What do you think is the feasibility of riding between Manchester and Keene?

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: error on August 02, 2008, 08:25 PM NHFT
Hm, I just noticed this thread. What do you think is the feasibility of riding between Manchester and Keene?
I think I could ride that distance in one day, but would want to take a day to rest my legs before riding back.  It looks like the shortest route between Manchester and Keene is about 53 miles.  It would probably take about 5 hours each way because I would have to pace myself.

error

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on August 02, 2008, 09:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on August 02, 2008, 08:25 PM NHFT
I think I could ride that distance in one day, but would want to take a day to rest my legs before riding back.  It looks like the shortest route between Manchester and Keene is about 53 miles.  It would probably take about 5 hours each way because I would have to pace myself.

Ever considered doing anything like RAGBRAI? I always wanted to do this but never quite got around to it.

Scott Roth