• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: kola on December 15, 2007, 03:53 AM NHFT
shower towels and washcloths? one use and they get laundered. you are rubbing those cloths on anal and pubic regions. wash em man.

That is one of the most silly non-kook things I have seen on this forum :)

And for the record, I don't use a wash cloth.  I use one of those puffie things that says discard after 1 month on it.  I am pretty sure that all that ever touches it is water, soap, and my dead skin cells.

kola

those "puffy" things are a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria etc...same goes for washing dishes with them or sponges.

ONLY dead skin cells huh? yeah like warts and HPV..note: they ain't dead.

do you guys wash your hands after going to the bathroom or are you the type that scurries out of the lavs bypassing the wash area?

KBCraig

Quote from: kola on December 15, 2007, 03:53 AM NHFT
i prefer to shower once a day, in the morning and depending what i did or where i am going i may shower again . the NA indians noticed how stinky the early settlers were and noticed that they hardly bathed.

Of course the early settlers stunk -- and I'm pretty certain your NA ancestors didn't shower even once a day, much less twice. We'd think both groups stink, if we were in the room with them.

Strangers always "smell", mostly because of different diets.

Quotewe shit and piss...and no matter how much we try we still get urine, blood and shit stains on undergarments.

Perhaps you didn't notice that I specified outer garments.

Quotepants? I may wear them a few times unless i slop them up.

"Ooooh, wear them more than once? You're just nasty!"  ::)

Point being, you have your own arbitrary time limit. You'll roll around on sheets for hundred hours or more, but called me "stinky" for wearing the same sweatpants and t-shirt for 15-20 hours over a week.

srqrebel

Quote from: kola on December 15, 2007, 10:23 AM NHFT
do you guys wash your hands after going to the bathroom or are you the type that scurries out of the lavs bypassing the wash area?

Kola, you crack me up.

Speaking for myself, if there is a working faucet, I always wash my hands.

That said, I suppose you wouldn't hold up well in a construction environment, would you?  Those port-a-potties don't have running water, yet somehow I managed to survive two years of construction work.  (Then again, I might have gotten cooties from that and not know it ::))  Same goes for those outhouses our ancestors considered luxuries :)

I like being clean, and wouldn't want to do without my daily hot shower, but I try not to fear microscopic boogeymen too much ;D

John Edward Mercier

The lotion on the wall of the chem toilet is an anti-septic.

Faber

That's just what they WANT you to think.

srqrebel

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 15, 2007, 12:01 PM NHFT
The lotion on the wall of the chem toilet is an anti-septic.

Must be something new -- I never had the good fortune of seeing one of those.

dalebert

Quote from: srqrebel on December 15, 2007, 04:29 PM NHFT
Must be something new -- I never had the good fortune of seeing one of those.

It's only in those upscale high falooten porta johns.

Russell Kanning

so the frugal tips thread turn into bathing suggestions?

kola

sorry russell, why not delete Stinky's posts and mine?

Kola

Russell Kanning

Fluff and Stuff

Here is a tip that I could never do :)  Buy a videogame system used after the next generagtion system comes out.  Let me give you an example.
The Playstation 2 came out around 6 years ago for $300 and has sold around 130,000,000 units.  It now costs around $89 used.  The Playstation 3 came out last year and costs $599.  Used PS2 games usually cost $10-$30.  New PS3 games usually cost $50-$60.

Another example.  A used Gameboy Advanced costs $59 with used games around $10-$25.  A new DS costs $129 with new games from $18-$35.

Another option is to play mostly flash games on your PC.  There are 10,000 free flash games that you can play on your PC.  Many of them are lots of fun.  In fact, you may even play old games, like NES games, online for free.  This is the real frugal option.

Beth221

a real frugalist would just walk to the neighbors house to play on the new Wii!

actually me and Dan, and a bunch of our friends, all chipped in like $40 bucks and we now have a wii, we bring it to parties, and its community owned. 

elf

good entertainment, great exercise, social skills builder, cheap equipment, and FUN!   

Game 1: one soccer ball, a handful of people in the street.   Fun.   

Game 2: a nice stick, a sphere made of old gloves, wrapped tightly with packing tape.  A handful of people in the street.  More fun.

Game 3:  scavenger hunts ... make up a list.  Hit the streets.  Are we having fun yet? 

It's cheap.   Not just frugal.   No batteries, no electricity.   Just pure fun.   We forgot how to be kids.   Time to learn it again.