• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on December 01, 2007, 09:56 PM NHFT
I started pedaling (at least part of the way) to work.  http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=12330.0  I've probably saved close to $100 in gasoline in the last month and a half.  I usually ride a little over 3 miles each way and take the bus the rest of the way to work, although one day when I missed the bus, I rode about 23 miles. 
Another way to save money is to use a deodorant stone instead of those deodorant sticks that leave an uncomfortable funny smelling film on your arm pits.  The deodorant stones are made from mineral salts, and in my experience, tend to last a couple years or so each.  I use mine in the morning after taking a shower and it keeps me stink free for over 24 hours.  You can usually find them at health food stores and herbal pharmacies for around $5-$8 each.  Instead of just masking the odor with something that smells somewhat like perfume, deodorant stones are odorless and work by killing off the bacteria that expel the odor.

Deodorant?

elf

Sew your own clothes.  Mine outlast anything I ever bought ready-made.
Now if only I could find cobbler equipment... and somebody alive who still knows how to make shoes and boots from scratch.

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on December 02, 2007, 05:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: Defender of Liberty on December 01, 2007, 09:56 PM NHFT
I started pedaling (at least part of the way) to work.  http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=12330.0  I've probably saved close to $100 in gasoline in the last month and a half.  I usually ride a little over 3 miles each way and take the bus the rest of the way to work, although one day when I missed the bus, I rode about 23 miles. 
Another way to save money is to use a deodorant stone instead of those deodorant sticks that leave an uncomfortable funny smelling film on your arm pits.  The deodorant stones are made from mineral salts, and in my experience, tend to last a couple years or so each.  I use mine in the morning after taking a shower and it keeps me stink free for over 24 hours.  You can usually find them at health food stores and herbal pharmacies for around $5-$8 each.  Instead of just masking the odor with something that smells somewhat like perfume, deodorant stones are odorless and work by killing off the bacteria that expel the odor.

Deodorant?
The day I rode 23 miles, even though I got a little sweaty, I didn't stink because I used the deodorant stone.  I just let the sweat evaporate when I got to work and all was good.

elf

[/quote]
Deodorant?
[/quote]
The day I rode 23 miles, even though I got a little sweaty, I didn't stink because I used the deodorant stone.  I just let the sweat evaporate when I got to work and all was good.
[/quote]

How do you avoid getting "slushed" in winter by passing motorists?   Just curious.  Are you driving a Danish Leitra or another type of enclosed trike? 

Kat Kanning

I cut Russell's hair for him.  Probably illegal, so that makes it more fun.

You should ask Cathleen.  She's the top penny saver I know.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: elf on December 02, 2007, 05:51 AM NHFT
Sew your own clothes.  Mine outlast anything I ever bought ready-made.
Now if only I could find cobbler equipment... and somebody alive who still knows how to make shoes and boots from scratch.

http://www.customshoemaker.com/home.html

They supposedly have a deal where you live there for a week and learn by making your own shoes.

Dang, looking at this again I guess I need to check them out myself!

RangerProbst

Don't carry cash, an atm card, or credit card with you anywhere. It makes it hard to spend money when you don't have any.

Turn off lights and apliances that you aren't using. Buy light fixtures that only have one light in them. You don't need 4 lights on at once in the same room if you have a brighter bulb in your one light.

Set the temp in the house to 69 instead of 72. After you get used to it, you can't tell the difference.

Don't buy convenience foods.

Don't eat out. Ever. If you do go out, drink beer instead of eating. I think you get more "bang for your buck" that way.

Spend some time working out to stay in decent shape. It will cost you less in health issues/doctor visits down the road. Now that I think about it, it may cost you more to work out since you'll probably live longer. It may just be cheaper to die early.

Shoot a lot in 22 LR and shoot a little more sparingly with the higher calibers.

To save a grip on food, look at this site http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/.

srqrebel

I enjoy big savings by "steering clear" of rent and property taxes ;D

elf

Wanna save heaps of $$$$ over your lifetime? 
The fact is, convenience makes us lazy, we waste what comes easily, we waste time and delay paying for things [like the electric bill] because some softhearted customer service rep will grant an extension if our bills are late.   Meanwhile, self-destructive habits continues.  We learn nothing to change our paradigm.
Here's a step closer to getting off the expensive grid, and into a self-sufficiency/survival mode.
There are some very practical stores in the heart of Ohio Amish country.  For off-the-grid folks;  plain old people like us, along with the Amish.
Convenience has a huge price.  We tend to waste what comes easily.  I mean, how hard is it to turn a light OFF?   It's far easier to remember
to turn down the paraffin lamp's dimmer or snuff it out completely, if you are watching the fuel gauge go down, or the candle disappearing into its catchbasin.  It's not like you can defer payment arrangements or get an extention into next month with the customer service rep at Candles-R-Us.
Order the catalogue - it is 100+ pages of off-the-grid items not found on the website.
By the way ...  living off the grid is great exercise to reshape one's self-discipline, time management skills, waistline, AND wallet. 

www.lehmans.com

srqrebel

Thank you for posting that link, elf.  Lehman's is a great resource.

Dem der Amish shur know howta live cheep! :mf_farmer:
;D

elf

Quote from: srqrebel on December 02, 2007, 12:32 PM NHFT
Thank you for posting that link, elf.  Lehman's is a great resource.

Dem der Amish shur know howta live cheep! :mf_farmer:
;D

Ja, ja... and a few of "dem English onda farms upta road" like me learned plenty alongside of them.
Like the difference between need and greed, work and wishes, what fair means, what cons do, and the wonderful sleep a clear conscience brings. 
Damn, what a good life it was.    Never did agree with their cult on some issues, but I absorbed what was useful for my own little journey through the decades.    :mf_farmer:

EJinCT

Quote from: SethCohn on December 01, 2007, 10:12 PM NHFT
It's hard enough keeping people from calling it a cult.

I would think that would be due to the "long-hairs", not those who keep it high and tight. ;D  ( j/k btw, I used to have dreads and a beard, so I'm quite familiar with such sentiments.)

Besides, clippers generally come with several length "guides". I usually use a #2 during winter and w/o any guide during the rest of the year; but my hair still regrows fairly quickly, so even being "bald" doesn't last for more than a couple days.

I wouldn't suggest this for our female members though; just my opinion anyway.  ;D

Another thing one can do:

Composting food refuse. This can be done very cheaply with a little research; less that needs to go to a landfill/incinerator and has a beneficial use for farming/gardening.

Quote from: RangerProbst on December 02, 2007, 10:40 AM NHFT
Turn off lights and apliances that you aren't using. Buy light fixtures that only have one light in them.

As an add, use energy efficient light bulbs.

Theres also some good tips here: http://www.betterbudgeting.com/

kola

frugal?

NUMBER UNO: develop simple and cheap living accomodations..tipi, camper, build own home etc...

NO HOME MORTGAGE!! say no to the fricken slavery that the evil bastards have created

SECOND: find a way to reduce or completely eradicate utility companies. ..get cheap cell phone, go solar, harvest water or drill your own well, throw out fax machines (use mail), plant gardens/build greenhouse.

then limit all those materialistic things and keep it basic.

buy all 3 CD's of Mother Earth News magazine for 30 bucks which cover 40 years of articles.

being free is easy (if you want it)
Kola

srqrebel

Quote from: kola on December 02, 2007, 01:05 PM NHFT
buy all 3 CD's of Mother Earth News magazine for 30 bucks which cover 40 years of articles.

Wow, Kola, thank you for posting this cool little tip!  Mother Earth News is one of my all-time favorite magazines.  I had no idea all those really cool back issues were still available, especially at such a bargain price!

My father subscribed to ME News during the seventies and eighties, and I devoured them with a passion during my teen years :)

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: lawofattraction on December 02, 2007, 12:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: Puke on December 01, 2007, 09:17 PM NHFTDon't eat out often. That's very expensive.

Not only that, but you help to de-fund the state by eating out less. :)

In fact, by simply avoiding the various things that New Hampshire taxes, you can often save quite a bit of money and be a good small-government activist at the same time.  :D

How do I give this post like a zillion karma points?