• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Quote from: jdemers on December 18, 2007, 02:46 PM NHFT
Back to the deodorant topic from page one, Tulumba.com is a great source for those stones, alum blocks, and these are dirt cheap!  $2 a piece makes them a steal.  I have been using my first one for over a year now, both for shaving and deodorant.

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=BB547960UD875

Looks like there are a variety of them in United Natural Foods catalog, in the Jan, '08 issue:

Prod#: 420539   Pack/size: 1/6oz   Brand: LAFE      Desc: DEOD CRYSTAL LARGE,                 Unit$: $3.79, p. 153
Prod#: 118182   Pack/size: 1/PC    Brand: THAIDE   Desc: DEODORANT STONE, MID SZ BX,   Unit$: $4.38, p. 154
Prod#: 506428   Pack/size: 1/2oz   Brand: THAIDE   Desc: DEODORANT STONE, TRIAL SZ,    Unit$: $1.86, p. 154
Prod#: 118265   Pack/size: 1/PC    Brand: THAIDE   Desc: THAI DEOD STONE IN BAG,          Unit$: $6.85, p. 154
Prod#: 866269   Pack/size: 1/STN  Brand: THAIDE   Desc: THAI DEOD STONE IN BASKET,     Unit$: $5.20, p. 154

We joined a local United buying club here in Little Minnesota and entered our first order Friday - the truck comes to the Town Hall where we'll meet other co-opers to break down the order. It's a great company and a lot of fun being a co-oper - an opportunity to meet other local folks that are into their food and products and working together to save a few bux.

Beth221

i have a off the wall frugal tip.  I have a huge complex fish filter, and it has black foam pads in it, the box says replace at every filter cleaning, but I see no real reason to change the pads, I either blast them out with my insane city water pressure with a hose, or, (i am proud of this idea!) place them in a washing machine, on a light cycle, on hot, with NO soap.  They came out clear, and pretty much orderless. 

So, if anyone has any aquarium filters, you   can buy filter floss in bulk, rather than those expensive boxes of precut squares, also, fabric stores sells batting for craft projects, 100% polyester, same stuff, for 3.00 a bag that will last you more than a year, verses 6.99 for 2 months.

Enjoy!

Happy fishing!

MattLeft

(Didn't read whole 11-page post, so it may have been covered already)

paperbackswap.com

Over 18,000 books online.  You swap them with others, mail them media rate for usually about $2.13 each.  I've been doing it for a couple of months now.  Compared to my usual $50 visits to Borders or Barnes&Noble every couple of weeks, it's a huge money saver.

picaro

• Cook your own food and avoid convenience food.

• Ten ounces of polenta costs as much as 5 lbs of corn meal.
    • Eight ounces of hummus is 3 times as expensive as 1 lb of dry chick peas.

• You don't need large concentrations of dish soap to make the water soapy.  Save an empty bottle.  Add a small amount of soap to the bottom and add water.   Save the concentrated soap for de-greasing.

• Stop driving aggressively.   Accelerate slowly.  Speed less.

• Plant your own vegetables.   A window sill or back porch work fine if you don't have room for a garden.

• If you plan on drinking more than 750ml of wine at a time, buy the 1.5 liter size
    • Excess wine can be frozen and saved for cooking

les nessman

Turn down the water heater thermostat slightly.  Cook large meals and then freeze for later use quickly. 

John Edward Mercier

If your using electric water heaters... timers.
And when a replacement is needed... a tankless system.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: les nessman on August 08, 2008, 12:04 AM NHFT
  Turn down the water heater thermostat slightly.  Cook large meals and then freeze for later use quickly. 

Or don't cook at all!  ;D   Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches are very economical, even kids can make them for the wifey that hates to cook! 8)

Just kidding! :D

John Edward Mercier

LOL. Just had some chips and two PB&Js.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on August 09, 2008, 03:02 PM NHFT

;D  What 2 PB&Js?  :o Chips too? :o  Not very frugal there! :biglaugh:

shundahai

Guys!

First, you're libertarians, no?  You're not suppossed to give a sh!t when people don't like the way you smell!!  You want frugality, and you're gonna pay for a goddam rock instead of a piece of soap?!!!  I got rocks!  come and buy them!  I have a suggestion: You stink enough that it bothers your spouse/you, TAKE A F@%KING BATH!!!

Dreepa: rabbits are better than chickens.  I like chickens, don't get me wrong, but rabbits require little enough space for even the tiniest lot, and they provide not just meat but also skins which can be recycled into boots, hats, mittens, etc; which can in turn be sold for more $ to offset your expenditures.  Also, they eat the leftover carrot-tops and other stuff you are too chicken (you should pardon the quip) to eat.  Plus, they taste good!

Lloyd Danforth

Rabbit skin boots Huh!  You must be 'easy' on you shoes ;D
Rabbits won't keep your Tick population under control.

dalebert

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on August 09, 2008, 03:02 PM NHFT

That's two great things that don't go great together.  :-\

Lloyd Danforth

Wrong Dale!  You just gotta use salt free PB

Sometimes you're looking for some a little 'crunch' inna sandwich!

dalebert

Quote from: dalebert on September 11, 2008, 05:32 PM NHFT
That's two great things that don't go great together.  :-\

"You got your chips in my peanut butter!"

"You got your peanut butter on my potato chips!"

*CRUNCH*

"Oh wow. That's just awful."

"Yep!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsWqGX6bvA