• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Barterer

Great tips all around.  I will have to try the deodorant stones.. for now I use the 99-cent "power stick" deodorant I can only find at wal-mart, as opposed to "Speed Stick" that costs about twice as much.

The hair clipper idea is also very good.  Note that with the different length clipper attachments and two mirrors (or haircut buddy) you can get an actual haircut instead of a buzz.  I just upgraded to a combination clipper and vacuum that doesn't make so much of a mess.. also handles beard duties. 

Bartering and general DIY work are usually great money savers.  For example, I use an internet connection I barter for.. I don't directly pay for access anymore.  I share a connection with a neighbor who has a wireless router, and pay him back in homebrewed wine and yardwork.  This allowed me to get rid of the DSL connection, and to also get rid of my land-line and all the taxes associated with it (FCC approved customer line charge.. WTF).  I replaced it with a cell phone that has NO monthly plan.. I just buy refill minutes as needed off ebay.. so now phone service now costs me less than $100/year.   This whole phone/internet/wine setup saves me a net $50/month.

I also administer a small website, and ask the client to reimburse me for the hosting fees.  With the way the hosting package is set up (and the extra bandwidth the client leaves behind) I host my own personal site for free.

Barterer

Quote from: RangerProbst on December 02, 2007, 10:40 AM NHFT
Shoot a lot in 22 LR and shoot a little more sparingly with the higher calibers.

Damn straight.  And if you normally pay to shoot at a gun range, consider getting a badass .22 pellet rifle.. then the rounds are even cheaper, and you can sneak a little gun range in your back yard. Very fun.  ;D

elf

if you have a yen for gardens at all ... ask someone if you can grow herbs, flowers and veggies on their property, in lieu of the grass they'll have to mow.  The owner gets a no-maintenance piece of ground, you get herbs and flowers to sell fresh or dried, and food to eat!  Win-win for all. 

If you have a hobby, teach the fine points...  for a fee. You enjoy your hobby, and still make some money.  Work CAN be all play.   :)

Same hobby, swap the use of your tools for something else you need. 

It all adds up to no cash out of your wallet.  Frugal, cheap, tight as a Scotsman vest pocket.

John

Quote from: Puke on December 01, 2007, 09:09 PM NHFT
Shave your head. . . . I haven't paid for a haircut in 6 years.  :)

I started cutting my own hair even when I had it on the much longer side . . . I don't recall the last time I've paid someone to do that for me.
If one is looking for something/style a little more than Puke or I, there are always places to learn about how to do that. 
A friend can help, if you and they are confident enough . . . OMG (haven't thought of it for quite some time) do we need licences?   8) . . .  ;D

John

Quote from: Insurgent on December 01, 2007, 09:28 PM NHFT. . . Time spent doing my hair every day?  <1 minute  :)

Oh yes, the time saved is enormous . . .

Even if you go for something a bit prettier than a shaved head, once you've learned to do it, there are no more appointments to make and keep, and no travel time and gas.

WARNING however, practice is needed  . . .

John

Quote from: SethCohn on December 01, 2007, 10:12 PM NHFT. . . This is not a political comment.  >:D

Are you sure?   :)

A cult?

Can Buddhists be part of this freedom movement?
Just wait 'till I get my orange robe (or what ever those orange garments are called).
But then, I exaggerate --- I think.

kola

i just looked at one of my mags...the price for 3 CD's of Mother Earth News is $49.95. They upped the price since I bought mine.

Good request to Santa Clauss or Budda or Jehovah, or Ricky Martin, the Sun, a box of crayons, per rock or whoever/whatever you belieive has "magical" qualities that enrichen your life.

Kola

porcupine kate

I gave Bill a really nice set of professional clippers one year. 
See What good that did me.

I've got to get a yard before I get chickens.
You know we really need a chicken smiley now that I think of it.

Another idea to save money.

A price book for grocery shopping.  The idea is you write down what you pay for the stuff you buy.  You note where and when you get a great sale price or the best regular price.  This way you can check if you come across a great deal and have a good idea how often sales come around so you can stock up till the next sale comes around.

I would love to sew more of my clothes again.  I just haven't found anywhere to but quality fabrics cheap enough to cost less than buying clothes on a really good sale.  If anyone has a good source of Fabrics here in New Hampshire please let me know.

porcupine kate

I have found that Making clothes doesn't save me a ton of money but doing my own alterations and repairs on clothing does.

Sewing is also a great skill for Hallloween costumes, curtains, and gifts.

Kat Kanning

We got a ton of nice clothes from Dawn's clothing swap.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Dreepa on December 02, 2007, 07:27 PM NHFT
get chickens

I'd love to, but the headaches of listening to the code enforcement officer over the zoning isn't worth the savings.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: kola on December 02, 2007, 03:59 PM NHFT
i just looked at one of my mags...the price for 3 CD's of Mother Earth News is $49.95. They upped the price since I bought mine.

Good request to Santa Clauss or Budda or Jehovah, or Ricky Martin, the Sun, a box of crayons, per rock or whoever/whatever you belieive has "magical" qualities that enrichen your life.

Kola

Online. 

http://www.motherearthnews.com/article-categories.aspx

They used to have a better site where you could look at every issue, but, I think its all here.

Beth221

i love coupons..

For Dan its hard for us to keep our food shopping cheep, mister atkins will eat $200 bucks of meat a day if i let him.  I will be looking into raising our own meats and will be selling fresh eggs for free state sale too.  that should help.

i resuse things, like plastic.  Yep, i wash zip lock bags out, they are so expensive!

Food here in RI is not cheep.  a gallon of milk is over $3 bucks. 

car pooling helps too.  dont smoke, dont drink.  having fun is a lot of money!  If you go out to dinner, dont drink, that glass of wine will pay for the entire bottle. 

I buy a lot in bulk.  but you need to watch prices. 

Kat Kanning