• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth221

why on earth would you want to rub iso. alcohol onto your skin.. its a freaking chemical..

check out craigs list free section for used appliances, furnauture and other things

changing your light bulbs to those energy saving ones makes a huge difference.  dan buys ours online, at a cheep price. 

wash your clothes in cold water, saves money on heating up hot water. 

mend your socks. 

jaqeboy

Buy your organic foods through a co-op. Usu. have to buy canned things and some boxed things by case lot, but they often make the case size small, like 6 or so. Also can buy lots of items by onsies.

Northeast Cooperatives in Brattleboro used to be the big warehouse operation, but I think there was a merger and it's now called United Buying Clubs. My local health food store, Earthwards in Amherst, does a coop buying club, as well as the retail store operation. Order and pick up twice a week.

PS: they carry the deodorant stones

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Beth221 on December 05, 2007, 11:58 AM NHFT
why on earth would you want to rub iso. alcohol onto your skin.. its a freaking chemical..

Because that's what it's for? :P

Dave Ridley

Menno has some ideas for finding cheap soup i think... sound off menno

porcupine kate

This looks like it might be an option for you.  http://laundry-alternative.com/Washing-Product.htm

Friends of ours have used this for years.  It doesn't hold much but it does clean them well.
Kassie some times presoaks and uses a washboard in the bath tub since they now have a small farm. 

A good drying rack or clothes line is needed.  I also agree  with Lloyd that a wash board makes it easier to hand wash clothes.  They can be found at http://www.lehmans.com/

elf

Try a Rapid Washer... looks like a toilet plunger with a long broomstick handle. 
Had one for decades!  Use a Rubbermaid trash bin, wash, then rinse. 
Run clothes through a Lehman's wringer - saves your hands and drying time. 
Hang cothes to dry, then press or fold. 
It works anywhere, no electricity required. 
Works for me. 

Puke

It's better for you than drinking alcohol.
Not that drinking isn't fun.  :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Puke on December 06, 2007, 06:14 PM NHFT

It's better for you than drinking alcohol.
Not that drinking isn't fun.  :)

Especially considering isopropyl alcohol is poisonous...

srqrebel

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 05, 2007, 08:08 PM NHFT
Menno has some ideas for finding cheap soup i think... sound off menno

???

Umm... get a rifle, enjoy venison stew?
...poison ivy doesn't grow here in the winter, so you'll have to do without the garnish ;D

I think Dave is referring to the 2-qt cans of Heinz chicken soup that were available for $.89 each at Mr. G's in Winchester recently.  Stan's in Westmoreland currently has quarts of creamy chicken soup and lobster bisque at $.89 each.  Stan's also has Ramen noodles at $.20/pkg.

Both of these stores offer deep discounted food on a regular basis, though their inventories change constantly.

Puke

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 06, 2007, 09:08 PM NHFT
Especially considering isopropyl alcohol is poisonous...

And it's only that way because we don't want people getting cheap booze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Tom Sawyer

isopropyl alcohol is different than denatured alcohol.

Puke

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 07, 2007, 03:23 PM NHFT
isopropyl alcohol is different than denatured alcohol.

But isn't it a form of denatured alcohol?
It still has crap added to it or some such to make it poisonous, right?

Tom Sawyer

Puke

Pat K

I remember this advice.

[youtube=425,350]cmAm8GNJ_IA&ref[/youtube]