• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Please post frugal living tips

Started by porcupine kate, December 01, 2007, 09:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dysurian

Quote from: Pat K on December 10, 2007, 08:00 AM NHFT
I remember this advice.

(video from above post)

"We can put it on our credit card!" Priceless. Credit cards (along with a college education I may or may not have needed to spend thousands of dollars on) is my biggest debt in life. I knew full well that it was silly to spend money I didn't have, but there's no teacher like experience. I really wish I had learned sooner...

Russell Kanning

Though the occasional haircut and cheap bottles of shampoo cost a few bucks a year... but certainly no more than $100 total.

Let's NOT end up with a mostly bunch of bald liberty folks, ok?  It's hard enough keeping people from calling it a cult.
Some of us have hair ... and no haircut expenses. I figure that God gave me hair for protection, so I keep it and let my cute wife cut it anyway she wants to.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Barterer on December 02, 2007, 02:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: RangerProbst on December 02, 2007, 10:40 AM NHFT
Shoot a lot in 22 LR and shoot a little more sparingly with the higher calibers.

Damn straight.  And if you normally pay to shoot at a gun range, consider getting a badass .22 pellet rifle.. then the rounds are even cheaper, and you can sneak a little gun range in your back yard. Very fun.  ;D
even cheaper ... sell your gun to someone and stop wasting money on ammo :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Pat K on December 03, 2007, 02:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 03, 2007, 02:00 PM NHFT
Chevy Aveo... cheaper.
Used Geo Metro even better.

A lady here a few years ago, was exiting a parking lot onto
a busy road. The Geo Metro she was driving, was broadsided
by a motorcycle. It knocked the car over on its side.

Here is a little tip from your uncle Pat= if your car can be knocked
over by a motorcycle, it's to Fucking small!
I agree ... cheap used car that gets good mileage ... makes lots of sense. a motorcycle is even cheaper ... just watch out for patK

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: Puke on December 07, 2007, 02:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 06, 2007, 09:08 PM NHFT
Especially considering isopropyl alcohol is poisonous...

And it's only that way because we don't want people getting cheap booze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Listerine is denatured?!?!?  No wonder it tastes so bad.  They should put a warning label on their bottles.  I don't think I'll buy it anymore to prevent the risk of swallowing some.  I knew folks who used to drink it to get buzzed.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on December 12, 2007, 07:23 AM NHFT
Quote from: Puke on December 07, 2007, 02:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 06, 2007, 09:08 PM NHFT
Especially considering isopropyl alcohol is poisonous...

And it's only that way because we don't want people getting cheap booze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Listerine is denatured?!?!?  No wonder it tastes so bad.  They should put a warning label on their bottles.  I don't think I'll buy it anymore to prevent the risk of swallowing some.  I knew folks who used to drink it to get buzzed.

Not all denatured alcohol is poisonous; in some cases, they just add a chemical to make it unpalatable, such as using the denatonium mentioned in the article.

KBCraig

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 12, 2007, 08:32 AM NHFT
Not all denatured alcohol is poisonous; in some cases, they just add a chemical to make it unpalatable, such as using the denatonium mentioned in the article.

I have (or had, if she's managed to finish drinking herself to death) a cousin who would drink Dr. Tichenor's. She had minty fresh breath, though! For a while she worked for my sister, who took away her bottle. One day Sis check the cousin's "water" bottle, and found she was sipping straight vodka all day.  ::)

Lloyd Danforth

I knew a guy who drank Witch Hazel.  He eventually died of it. First body I ever discovered.

Kat Kanning

:(  Have you discovered more than one?

Pat K

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 12, 2007, 06:22 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on December 03, 2007, 02:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 03, 2007, 02:00 PM NHFT
Chevy Aveo... cheaper.
Used Geo Metro even better.

A lady here a few years ago, was exiting a parking lot onto
a busy road. The Geo Metro she was driving, was broadsided
by a motorcycle. It knocked the car over on its side.

Here is a little tip from your uncle Pat= if your car can be knocked
over by a motorcycle, it's to Fucking small!
I agree ... cheap used car that gets good mileage ... makes lots of sense. a motorcycle is even cheaper ... just watch out for patK

Why would they have to watch out for me?

Kat Kanning

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on December 12, 2007, 11:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 12, 2007, 08:32 AM NHFT

I have (or had, if she's managed to finish drinking herself to death) a cousin who would drink Dr. Tichenor's. She had minty fresh breath, though! For a while she worked for my sister, who took away her bottle. One day Sis check the cousin's "water" bottle, and found she was sipping straight vodka all day.  ::)

Wow, your right her breath must have smelled pretty damn good!  Do you remember some political guy's wife was drinking rubbing alcohol?  I can't remember her name, I think it was Kitty something.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on December 12, 2007, 02:37 PM NHFT
I knew a guy who drank Witch Hazel.  He eventually died of it. First body I ever discovered.

Gee, I would've thought he could have gotten a broom out of the deal first! :P

Raineyrocks

Lloyd Danforth