• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Questions about guns

Started by dysurian, December 03, 2007, 07:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dysurian

So I know very little about guns, but would most certainly like to own a handgun sometime soon. Could the gun guys (and ladies) impart a bit of wisdom on me?

I mainly want a gun that will be good for both practice and practical use...I don't want to spend extra to get a "practice" gun and a "killin' burglars" gun (if there's even a difference...I know it can be useful for rifle practice to use a pellet gun). By "practical use" I mean "killin' burglars," home defense. I don't need anything that will support exploding or heat-seeking rounds, a laser site, be full auto, or wash my car...just a gun that shoots true, won't jam, and is easy to maintain. Cost is also a consideration. I'm not a gun enthusiast (as of yet) and only have a high-powered single-shot pellet rifle in my arsenal. The cheapest, most reliable gun (and ammo) for the money in the lower to mid range would be preferred. I don't know whether/how often I plan to open carry, but this may be a consideration for ease of holstering.

Aside from (and before owning) a gun, I should take a safety class or two...guns don't kill people, idiots with guns kill people.

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!"  :icon_pirat:

Any advice is much appreciated!

Puke

I bought a Glock. It's a good utility gun.

The safety course is a good idea if you have never handled fire-arms before.

Jim Johnson

The first thing you want in your fire arm is when you pick it up and look down the sights, it points at what you want to hit.  Not just generally, the weapon should feel good in your hands, your eye is looking down the the sights and the sights are aligned on your target.
It isn't going to matter what caliber the weapon is if your not going to be able to use it as natural extension of you.

As for caliber, the stopping power line is a minimum of .38 or 9mm.  One can kill someone with a much smaller caliber weapon, with a more critical hit, but a hit that is not striking a critical area will not be affective.

Revolvers are a much more reliable weapon than a semiautomatic.  The revolver is not as sexy, but the revolver is far less complicated.
The .357 mag. revolver is a good starting point because one can use the less powerful .38 specials for practice or real use.  The real difference is putting a hole in your aggressor or blowing him apart.

Jim Johnson

I find the Glocks to be excellent weapons too. 

error

The Glock does not naturally point at what I want to hit.

Recumbent ReCycler

I prefer SigSauer pistols.  They tend to be very reliable and very accurate.  The downside is that they also tend to be more expensive.  If you look around, you may be able to find a good used one for a reasonable price.  Their customer service is very good and you don't have to send your gun far since the factory is in NH.  If you want accessories or parts, I know where some of the least expensive suppliers are, although I haven't had to repair or replace anything in my Sig since I bought it used, and it has never had a failure.

picaro

Consider a surplus Soviet-era pistol -- the Makarov.   Very reliable, compact, and inexpensive.   (Try to stick with East German or Bulgarian manufacture.  Russian and Chinese makes aren't as desirable.)

One drawback is the stopping power of 9x18 cartridge.  It is a short 9mm round (other 9mm rounds are incompatible).   If you're worried about stopping power, the Makarov PMM accepts slightly more powerful ammunition.

This thread discusses stopping power

Nat F

Here's a few questions (and some possible answers) that might help narrow down the pistol selection.

How much do you plan on concealed carrying?
Small frame guns conceal well but are usually less fun to practice with and are harder to develop accuracy based skills with.  Large frame guns are harder to conceal but easier to practice with.  Some manufacturers produce medium frame guns as a good compromise.

Semi-auto pistol or revolver?
Revolvers have a lot to offer for a first time gun owner, their operation tends to be simpler but many people get hung up on the number of rounds they can fire before reloading (5-8 depending on cylinder capacity) vrs the larger capacity semi auto handguns (up to 17 in most, with 30+ round magazines out there).  I prefer semi-autos but not for any rational reason, just the neato factor of the mechanical operation.

Do you prefer any caliber?
9mm ammo is by far the cheapest type of ammunition that is useable for self defense (22lr is much cheaper but not a generally accepted self defense round).  .40S&W and .45ACP are also popular calibers for semi-autos.  .38 special/.357 magnum and .44 special/magnum are the most popular revolver calibers but revolvers are available in the typical semi auto calibers as well.  In case you didn't know .38 special is basically a lighter powered version of the .357 magnum round and is often used in .357 mag revolvers as the cheaper practice round.  Some revolvers are only designed for .38 special ammo however.

Once you've answered those questions to your own satisfaction you can begin looking at specific guns.  It sounds like you might find a revolver to fit your needs best.  I'm not as knowledgeable about them, but something along the lines of the S&W model 64 (4" barrel .38 special 6 rounds) should be inexpensive when bought used and be able to be carried concealed in a good holster while also being fun to shoot extensively.  There are a ton of other revolver manufacturers out there but any good gun shop should be able to point you to the right model once you give them some guidance similar to the answers to the questions here.

Others have suggested some great semi-auto handguns, I would suggest you look at the H&K USP models, the S&W M&P models, and the Springfield XD models.  They all should be available in 9mm which I think would be a suitable cartridge for your use.  You might also look at the CZ 75 and related models.  I tend to prefer Glocks and Sigs myself but you said Glocks didn't aim naturally for  you. {edit - read the replies wrong, error said that, not the OP.  It is a common complaint about Glocks however}

One good thing about living in New Hampshire, you can find someone willing to let you get a little range time with a wide variety of guns they might own, or you can visit one of the commercial ranges with rentals like the Manchester Firing Line.

-Nat

Lex

I really like the Springfield XD. I have one in .40S&W.

I would argue that it is considerably better in a Glock. Especially since glocks are known to blow up in .40S&W.

An XD also has some extra features over the glock, you can tell if 1) the gun is cocked and 2) that the gun is loaded, in complete darkness and very quickly. Very few other guns, in fact none that I know of, let you do that. I'm sure someone here will point out other guns that have this though  ;D

picaro

If you don't have an internal firing pin, you don't need another indicator to tell you its cocked.  ;)

The .38 / .357 revolver combination is practical and fun too.

Lex

Quote from: picaro on December 04, 2007, 11:05 AM NHFT
If you don't have an internal firing pin, you don't need another indicator to tell you its cocked.  ;)

The XD also tells you if it's loaded, not just cocked.

picaro

Doh, I missed that your were comparing it to the Glock.   

MaineShark

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 04, 2007, 10:52 AM NHFTAn XD also has some extra features over the glock, you can tell if 1) the gun is cocked and 2) that the gun is loaded, in complete darkness and very quickly. Very few other guns, in fact none that I know of, let you do that. I'm sure someone here will point out other guns that have this though  ;D

I know if my 1911 is cocked.  And I know if it's loaded, through the simple of expedient of never having it be anything other than loaded (of course, I still check it every time I pick it up, as a matter of habit)...

Joe

Lex

Quote from: MaineShark on December 04, 2007, 11:59 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 04, 2007, 10:52 AM NHFTAn XD also has some extra features over the glock, you can tell if 1) the gun is cocked and 2) that the gun is loaded, in complete darkness and very quickly. Very few other guns, in fact none that I know of, let you do that. I'm sure someone here will point out other guns that have this though  ;D

I know if my 1911 is cocked.  And I know if it's loaded, through the simple of expedient of never having it be anything other than loaded (of course, I still check it every time I pick it up, as a matter of habit)...

Joe

The "I know it's loaded because I loaded it" argument isn't very reassuring ;)

MaineShark

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 04, 2007, 12:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on December 04, 2007, 11:59 AM NHFTI know if my 1911 is cocked.  And I know if it's loaded, through the simple of expedient of never having it be anything other than loaded (of course, I still check it every time I pick it up, as a matter of habit)...
The "I know it's loaded because I loaded it" argument isn't very reassuring ;)

That's why I still check it every time...

Gotta watch out for those ammunition gremlins... they like to load and unload firearms when you turn your back.

There are Loaded Chamber Indicators for the 1911's, too.

Joe