• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anti-politics

Started by jaqeboy, December 04, 2007, 09:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 23, 2007, 09:54 AM NHFT
By not voting against government spending and laws you are increasing your financial burden and personal freedom burden.

Only if you believe voting actually helps in that respect. Many don't.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: MaineShark on December 23, 2007, 07:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 23, 2007, 07:26 AM NHFTMaybe where your from, but around here it is all about competition. We actually had a Selectman make the suggestion that the local PD was unnecessary.

Competition with whom?  The Sheriff's office?  That's not exactly free-market competition, now is it?

Joe

Policing is an unusual function unlike many others. Policing in modern times is generally investigation of a crime after it was committed and not security from such. If your killed... they'll investigate by whom. If your robbed... they'll investigate by whom. Your actually security is yourself and any reimbursement you get from insurance you've purchased.
The Fire Department is the same thing... they won't stop your home from burning down... just put the fire out afterwards.
So the major value of a local PD/FD (other than keeping up with the 'Jones') is any reduction that may be gained in insurance costs.

Lex

Quote from: dalebert on December 25, 2007, 01:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 23, 2007, 09:54 AM NHFT
By not voting against government spending and laws you are increasing your financial burden and personal freedom burden.
Only if you believe voting actually helps in that respect. Many don't.

The bigger issue is funding the system. How can you justify funding the system?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on December 25, 2007, 01:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: Auntie Republicrat on December 22, 2007, 08:03 AM NHFT
that the staunchest of 'anarchists' here would be, VERY QUICKLY, calling 'the government cops' were they robbed, assaulted, trespassed upon, etc., by their BIG, stinking drunk, ex-con, Republicrat neighbor!..for one of MANY MANY examples..

Why? So they can write up a report and make a pretense of looking busy? I can't speak for other anarchists, but the only time you'll see me calling the cops is if I'm required to by their laws to keep them from locking me up. For instance, after I've shot someone in self defense, I'm pretty sure I could get in quite a lot of trouble if I don't allow them to come write up a report and send their clean up crews. I would never call them with any sort of delusion that their services are actually to help me in any way.

You're probably also required to call the police if you've purchased any form of property insurance that covers theft (.e.g., insuring jewelry or somesuch). No police report/affidavit, no payout. Another reason to despise insurance companies...

Eli

As if we needed one more.

John Edward Mercier

Insurance is voluntary. So depising something that you've attained voluntarily is a little odd.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on December 27, 2007, 09:40 AM NHFT
Insurance is voluntary. So depising something that you've attained voluntarily is a little odd.

The insurance industry is one of the biggest rent-seekers (working their way into the government, getting government favors, buying favorable laws, &c., &c.) in existence. Corporatism at its finest.

Russell Kanning

lots of reasons not to buy insurance nowadays

Eli

Aside from the fact that insurance is a sucker's bet, it's not voluntary anywhere but New Hampshire.  I'm not there yet.  So here it is another expense tacked on by the state, for a service frequently in conflict with its customers.  Insurance as it exists wouldn't exist without the state.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Eli on December 27, 2007, 02:29 PM NHFT
Aside from the fact that insurance is a sucker's bet, it's not voluntary anywhere but New Hampshire.  I'm not there yet.  So here it is another expense tacked on by the state, for a service frequently in conflict with its customers.  Insurance as it exists wouldn't exist without the state.

I think everything that exists to some degree is shaped by its environment. But NH has no required insurance, though contractual obligations might impose some. Most insurance regulations in NH are imposed upon the industry. Such as requirements to cover individuals at a rate that is under market value according to risk assessments.
This of course transfers cost to others, and makes them reassess their risk/reward ratio.

The end result is that those with very low risk, simple don't purchase. While those with very high risk complain about the increasing costs associated with it, and seek legislation to 'force' the market to their will.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: zackbass on January 18, 2008, 12:29 PM NHFT

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 25, 2007, 09:13 PM NHFT

The bigger issue is funding the system. How can you justify funding the system?

Funding police/justice/criminal-court services is simple.  Make the perps pay.  And don't let anyone plead poverty: Everyone capable of being a perp has SOME viable organs, unless he's badly infected - and even then he is sure to be viable enough to have some value as a sex slave or a lab rat or  something.

Boy ... I guess we totally disagree.

dalebert

Quote from: zackbass on January 18, 2008, 12:29 PM NHFT
Funding police/justice/criminal-court services is simple.  Make the perps pay.  And don't let anyone plead poverty: Everyone capable of being a perp has SOME viable organs, unless he's badly infected - and even then he is sure to be viable enough to have some value as a sex slave or a lab rat or  something.

One problem is where we disagree with the state on who the "perps" are, which is most of the time.